Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL chemistry aftermath

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FreeT

hmmmm52 wrote: »
    ha ya i'd say there actually is just 5 lines.....i thought q.5 was grand though organic questions were horrible!
    any1 take down their answer for Kc in equilibrium q??

7c?
    Kc = 0.225?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

ha ya i'd say there actually is just 5 lines.....i thought q.5 was grand though organic questions were horrible!
    any1 take down their answer for Kc in equilibrium q??

I got 9/400 as far as i can remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

For 9f I drew ethene, chloro-ethene, di-chloro-ethene, and poly-chloro-ethene.
    2 of those have to be right :P

I hated it. I really really hated it.

Same. It was like a drive by colonoscopy. The options question was difficult and the propan-1,2,3-triol is only mentioned in our book once. I need a D1 or C3. So praying for the D1 atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭starry nights

mark.oc wrote: »
    Overall I was pretty happy with the paper. Got all 11 questions done so I'm pretty hopeful that the result will be alright.

Some of the questions on the experiments were a bit dodgy though. I didn't think the name of edta was on the course. And wtf is the IUPAC name for glycerol? I couldn't find it in the book.

edta is etelenediametetraacetic acid
    propanol

• Advertisement

think it was ok. didnt get the B1 i wanted but seeing as i took it up and did it in a year with 7 other subjects im fairly happy.

was thrilled to see benzoic acid and ethanal in section B.

What did everyone get for KC in the equilibrium question?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭SnowPretzel

think it was ok. didnt get the B1 i wanted but seeing as i took it up and did it in a year with 7 other subjects im fairly happy.

was thrilled to see benzoic acid and ethanal in section B.

What did everyone get for KC in the equilibrium question?

.225 or .0225 , I can't remember:o

loadsa people are getting mixed up answers for KC.... weird

anyone get 10? i did

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mmmchoccy

I got 0.225... in the end, but i did it like 5 times until i got that answer and didn't cross out anything i'd done.... I really hope they still correct it... if it's right... if any of them are right:D

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FreeT

loadsa people are getting mixed up answers for KC.... weird

anyone get 10? i did

My Kc worked out as (0.75/100)(0.75/100) / (0.25/100) = 0.0225

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 yaknowamsayin

[

As for me, I went into the exam thinking I'd fail and came out with a possible B! I think I'm the only person who liked Q5 though....! :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Ehhh I loved question 5. It was the only thing that was drilled into me since christmas and summer tests in 5th year . It was the only good question I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 leavingcert 2010

i got 96 in my mocks and i got 84% in last years exam(im a repeat)

i think that paper was ****,really hard, only nice question was q5

all the papers this year were much harder than last years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Mazda

zam wrote: »
    For 9f I drew ethene, chloro-ethene, di-chloro-ethene, and poly-chloro-ethene.
    2 of those have to be right :P

Here's hoping wrong cancels right doesn't mess that up for ya! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭FordieMUFC

i got 96 in my mocks and i got 84% in last years exam(im a repeat)

i think that paper was ****,really hard, only nice question was q5

all the papers this year were much harder than last years
    Q5? :eek: if anything that was the hardest question on the paper I thought :D
    Kc was .0225 I think.
    Q7 and Q8 were nice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 aisers

One word ....... Horrible!!!

Opened the paper and was like ok experiments look ok ...... did them messed up a small bit ........ and then then section B!!! Q5 is usually my best and i had to make some of it up!! Organic was desperate so couldnt do any of them!! Q10 was ok and Q7 was nice ..... but the option :( ...... had to try and make it up from remmbering the picture in the book ...... not good.

Between this and physics yesterday i think the sciences have been way harder than every other subject ....... very unfair!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 hmmmm52

aisers wrote: »
    One word ....... Horrible!!!

Opened the paper and was like ok experiments look ok ...... did them messed up a small bit ........ and then then section B!!! Q5 is usually my best and i had to make some of it up!! Organic was desperate so couldnt do any of them!! Q10 was ok and Q7 was nice ..... but the option :( ...... had to try and make it up from remmbering the picture in the book ...... not good.

Between this and pysics yesterday i think the sciences have been way harder than every other subject ....... very unfair!!!

i completely agree modern physics (on physics paper obviously..) and organic chem were always my strongest questions and I wasn't able to answer any of the questions on either topics!! thought they were supposed to be encouraging more people to do science subjects :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ummtea

i completely agree modern physics (on physics paper obviously..) and organic chem were always my strongest questions and I wasn't able to answer any of the questions on either topics!! thought they were supposed to be encouraging more people to do science subjects :confused:

Apparently:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0622/1224273029600.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

ummtea wrote: »
    Funny how it's always the teachers that boast about how things like this will "encourage more students to study" such a thing, you rarely see any students coming out the exam halls saying that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 aisers

ummtea wrote: »

they obviousley didn't sit the paper. when you are stressed and stuck for time changing the paper from abstract theory to applications without a prior warning is not appreciated!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

Really disappointed, killed myself with this subject for the last 2 years - needed an A but that won't be happening now... :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ummtea

Lawliet wrote: »
    Funny how it's always the teachers that boast about how things like this will "encourage more students to study" such a thing, you rarely see any students coming out the exam halls saying that.
    aisers wrote: »
    they obviousley didn't sit the paper. when you are stressed and stuck for time changing the paper from abstract theory to applications without a prior warning is not appreciated!!!

Yeah, it was applied to our lives. Now I hate hair dryers and mobile phones...and James Joyce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Physics is easier both to teach and learn when it’s related to things the students come across every day.

Erm... I wonder have the writer realise that it was an exam? Not preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

I had a major panic attack before we started and was nearly beggin to do ordinary. thank god i didn't LOL

I didn't think it was bad, except for a few things. like my teacher said no no i swear to you they won't ask what "edta" means that B***H

hmmm

wasn't bad though. made some silly mistakes like making up what edta meant, saying how the colour changes in the flask and the volume is increasing. purely because I didn't know what else to say! LOL

that acid base question was only gorgeous!!!!!!

and in question 10, when it said about which one had hydrogen bonds, i said NH3 just because it had 3 hydrogens :L

my other silly mistake would have to be hat having drawen a pH curve, i then felt the need to label said curve "curve"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I think your standards in a subject often reflects how you feel about the paper. I went in with an extremely low standard. I was expecting the worse, I did the bare minimum (basically what was predicted) and thought it was a grand paper when I came out, doing 8 questions. The two other honours people in my class, both aiming for As and had it well covered, thought it was a terrible paper. You set your standards so high in achieving the very best that small mistakes, weird questions and stuff you don't know that comes up gets to you very badly and you think its a terrible paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 shive25

Thought it was a hard paper!! completely blanked for edta, the whole question, couldnt even remember the indicator, so frustrating coz as soon as I came out the answers hit me :mad: and stupid soap???!!! how annoying! took chemistry up and did it in one year but put so much work in, this exam just wont reflect that though! so frustrating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Original_Name

Bomb Calorimeter?? Were they ripping the p*ss?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

The only thing I knew about that was from a diet show I watch a few years ago when they were measuring calorie content of home made food! I knew watching all that trashy reality TV would come in handy some day :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

Lawliet wrote: »
    The only thing I knew about that was from a diet show I watch a few years ago when they were measuring calorie content of home made food! I knew watching all that trashy reality TV would come in handy some day :p
    OH MY GOD from how to cook yourself thin? that is EXACTLY what i thought of XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

I was half way through the question (which I had already answered pretty horrendously) before seeing it. I took one look at it and thought :eek:

Bomb Calorimeter... they really do pick out the "fine print" parts don't they! "Fine Print" questions usually seem to appear in question 4 however..! And those were easy today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

I was half way through the question (which I had already answered pretty horrendously) before seeing it. I took one look at it and thought :eek:

Bomb Calorimeter... they really do pick out the "fine print" parts don't they! "Fine Print" questions usually seem to appear in question 4 however..! And those were easy today!

Im the same, I LOVE fuels and I didnt even attempt that question, would have been carnage If I had!

The short questions were lovely, I answered them all except the option bit and Im confident I got full marks! Happy days!

Advertisement