Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL chemistry aftermath

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭FordieMUFC

I went through the thermochemisty before the test thoroughly. Like, I mean, all the previous exam questions I could do out.
    Had all the short alkane chain, cyclic compounds, branched, 2,2,4,trimethylpentane and heptane **** with crude oil and refractioning plus the heats of formation all done down to a tee along with all the **** of octanc numbers and increasing them etc... bull**** question that was :D
    That heat of formation question on question 6 was something I've never seen before? :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Blerdiii wrote: »
    OH MY GOD from how to cook yourself thin? that is EXACTLY what i thought of XD
    Yeah that was the one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 shakeyabonbon

zam wrote: »
    Glycerol is propan1-2-3triol? Right... I hazarded a guess with "1,2,3-tri-propanol"...
    haha i hazarded a guess with tripropan-1,2,3-ol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 shakeyabonbon

aisers wrote: »
    One word ....... Horrible!!!QUOTE]
    ok this isnt aisling from mount mercy is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Lib23

Worst exam of LC even worse than French! Probably got C1-C2 really wanted a B :( Anyway summer time now :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭irish-anabel

I haven't checked the book but I was almost CERTAIN it said for the full name for edta "you do not need to remember this name"??
    Hard water was the only one out of those 3 I thought might come up so I did it really well but the question was so hard I did the other 2!!!

Q5 and Q6 are always p*ss easy and they made them so hard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I haven't checked the book but I was almost CERTAIN it said for the full name for edta "you do not need to remember this name"??
    Hard water was the only one out of those 3 I thought might come up so I did it really well but the question was so hard I did the other 2!!!

Q5 and Q6 are always p*ss easy and they made them so hard!
    We were told you didn't need it either. Ethylene diamine tetraacetic acid, wasn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

We were told you didn't need it either. Ethylene diamine tetraacetic acid, wasn't it?

That's it alright. I never knew it said we didn't have to know it so i learnt it anyway. :D
    They also say you don't have to know what ATP in biology means but they asked it in my pre, sneaky. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

Just one to go now!! Thought it was reasonable, there were some nasty bits, like Q9(f) which our teacher said wasn't on the course, and Q11(c), which gave no choice for the manufacturing stuff, where I'd done magnesium and not oxygen. Q5 was awful too. Still reckon I scraped the A1.

While the process isn't on the course the info is still in the book, well Chemistry Live anyway, Page 367.
    You were meant to draw 1,2-dichloroethane and chloroethene (aka vinyl chloride)

Didn't know that at the time of course :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I don't buy the not knowing EDTA thing. Forget what the book says, Chemistry Live is the biggest pile of crap ever. If you had studied the EDTA question you should know what it stands for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 aisers

aisers wrote: »
    One word ....... Horrible!!!QUOTE]
    ok this isnt aisling from mount mercy is it?

nope sorry .... not me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭irish-anabel

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I don't buy the not knowing EDTA thing. Forget what the book says, Chemistry Live is the biggest pile of crap ever. If you had studied the EDTA question you should know what it stands for.

what do you mean you "don't buy it", I studied the hard water question and I couldn't answer that small question because it told me I didn't have to know the full name, so I skimmed over it. Fair enough if it was a small word but it's 26 letters long, so why would anyone waste time learning it, particularly if they're not aware the book is a "pile of crap"

It didn't ruin my exam at all so I don't mind but that's a RIDICULOUS statement :L

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭HOBO123

I absolutely loved chemistry for the last 2 years .. i studied so hard for it hoping i could do well and I now feel so disheartened after the exam .. i had a sneeky feeling the water hardness and soap exp. might appear so i learned them really well .. and them i went and forgot to multply my water hardness by 1000 because i took a quick skim over the paper and got all flustered..... q5 was nice , straight forward and q10 was as well.. i am normally great at organic chemistry but this year the thermochemistry question was horrible.. although q9 was simple if you learned the diagram on pg 382 of chemistry live..
    overall i really dont know how i did .. but i do know i came out feeling like crap :(

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Fizzical

You don't need to know the formula but you do have to know the name.

And 9(f) is the only process that is specified by the syllabus.

Both of these points are made in the book, though the process is dealt with in a worked example...

Fizzical wrote: »
    You don't need to know the formula but you do have to know the name.

And 9(f) is the only process that is specified by the syllabus.

Both of these points are made in the book, though the process is dealt with in a worked example...
    What book? We have Understanding Chemistry, but we just use notes, never the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 clover2

Wasn't a bad paper really just small parts like Q9(f)
    hadn't a clue:rolleyes: lol

it was an awful paper! was hoping for A1!! where was bleach and industrial chemistry?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

While the process isn't on the course the info is still in the book, well Chemistry Live anyway, Page 367.

The books are supposed to be based on the syllabus, not the other way around. If the exam has things that aren't on the course, whether in the book or not, then it's wrong to put it on the exam. The SEC shouldn't be using the books to base the exams, they should be using the syllabus.

think it was ok. didnt get the B1 i wanted but seeing as i took it up and did it in a year with 7 other subjects im fairly happy.

was thrilled to see benzoic acid and ethanal in section B.

What did everyone get for KC in the equilibrium question?

got 2.25 but my friend got something way different

I was half way through the question (which I had already answered pretty horrendously) before seeing it. I took one look at it and thought :eek:

Bomb Calorimeter... they really do pick out the "fine print" parts don't they! "Fine Print" questions usually seem to appear in question 4 however..! And those were easy today!

didnt see the bomb calorimeter part of the question when i was doing it and just realised it was there when i went back over it at home!!! :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 _Exasperated_

It was an odd paper. It was OK overall. There were some nasty bits in it. I wasn't expecting the "What does EDTA stand for?" question. The operation if the Bomb Calorimeter was also something new. The last question on whether oxygen production was a batch process or continuous process was just nasty.

I got an A1 in my mocks and I don't think I'll be getting that this time round :(.

I honestly thought Physics was easier :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

what do you mean you "don't buy it", I studied the hard water question and I couldn't answer that small question because it told me I didn't have to know the full name, so I skimmed over it. Fair enough if it was a small word but it's 26 letters long, so why would anyone waste time learning it, particularly if they're not aware the book is a "pile of crap"

It didn't ruin my exam at all so I don't mind but that's a RIDICULOUS statement :L

Come on man, the topic is EDTA and I just don't buy the fact that if you sat down and went through that topic you woudn't have known what it stands for. How could you just switch off your brain over something that the book tells you that you don't even know, even though its the full word of the topic in question? Even curiousity would've made most look at the word or try to say it out load.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 _Exasperated_

For the "What edta stands for" question they should allocate 1 mark for each correct word lol.

I got the Tetra Acetic Acid bit right. I just guessed what E and D stood for. :) :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭FordieMUFC

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Come on man, the topic is EDTA and I just don't buy the fact that if you sat down and went through that topic you woudn't have known what it stands for. How could you just switch off your brain over something that the book tells you that you don't even know, even though its the full word of the topic in question? Even curiousity would've made most look at the word or try to say it out load.
    Well, the topic is total hardness in water. Not EDTA. EDTA is just the acid used in the titration, which is just like every other acid in the course in titrations.
    If your text book tells you something like ''you do no need to learn this as it will not be needed in leaving certificate chemistry'' etc... which it does with a lot of things, then you're not going to learn it. :rolleyes:

Since 5th year my teacher said just know the initials of the acid. And also, (it probably is just never saw it) but is the name of the buffer solution added in chemistry live! ?

FordieMUFC wrote: »
    Well, the topic is total hardness in water. Not EDTA. EDTA is just the acid used in the titration, which is just like every other acid in the course in titrations.
    If your text book tells you something like ''you do no need to learn this as it will not be needed in leaving certificate chemistry'' etc... which it does with a lot of things, then you're not going to learn it. :rolleyes:

Since 5th year my teacher said just know the initials of the acid. And also, (it probably is just never saw it) but is the name of the buffer solution added in chemistry live! ?
    It's an ammonia buffer pH10 AFAIK.

clover2 wrote: »
    got 2.25 but my friend got something way different
    I got that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mark.oc

I got that too.
    You had to take the volume of the container (100 litres) into account, so it was
    ((.75/100)(.75/100)) / (.25/100)
    which is .0225

mark.oc wrote: »
    You had to take the volume of the container (100 litres) into account, so it was
    ((.75/100)(.75/100)) / (.25/100)
    which is .0225
    Ah, ok. I must've missed that. Damn my assumption that I could never have gotten the basic calculations wrong!! :x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

It's an ammonia buffer pH10 AFAIK.

Is that in Chemistry Live? :(
    I only wrote down pH buffer 10.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

Is that in Chemistry Live? :(
    I only wrote down pH buffer 10.... :(

Yeah you'll get the marks defo!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I wrote copper sulfate for the buffer. :pac: Honestly hadn't a notion, and as far as chemistry is concerned, that doesn't happen often.

Advertisement