Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to find snails?

Options
  • 22-06-2010 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi everyone!

Iv found myself in the unlikely position of having to recruit some snails for a student project i'm overseeing. Am i likely to find any snails this time of year?

I need some big juicy ones that wont die too easily. I dont have a garden but i do live near a woods. Where are good spots to find them? Under things?

I hope some one can help me!

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Cock Roaches are better for racing

Best Bet is in your back garden early in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

Thanks, but i dont have a back garden. Or a front garden actually.

I suppose I could try creeping around other peoples gardens in the early hours, but i dont want to get arrested....

I fell like i should know this, but snails live in woods too right?:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

If you post in gardening forum, loads will welcome you with open arms to pick their snails :D

You can pick mine as well.

There are many species of snails and snails can be found in all habitats.
    Apart fom my garden, the bigs snails are easily found on the coastal habitats locally where I am.

Snails usually rest by day and are active at night. So have a late night outing with the torch.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, I was going to say you're welcome to mine if you want them, although I've noticed a decline in both their numbers and more importantly the numbers of slugs in my garden this year over previous ones. Not sure if it's due to the harsh winter killing them off (snails 'hibernate' in the winter, forming a kind of protective cover over the opening in their shells), or the lack of rain at the moment, which always seems to bring them out in numbers. Also, if it's too warm or dry for them they will 'estivate' i.e. do the same thing as hibernation except in the summer, and for the opposite reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

look under ivy during the day you will find loads..under logs..side of rocks..i have lots of snails and pond snails too if they are any use. pour beer over an area of grass or leave it in a dish at night..come back in an hour..some of them should still be alive.

• Advertisement

Ivy, brilliant.

The woods il be looking in is quite dark and covered over so hopefully they wont have estivated (?).

Cant believe im going snail hunting....:rolleyes:

Thank you very much everybody!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

they really like 'dewy' type mornings, wet grass etc..

if all else fails ill ask my french flatmate to donate ya a few ;)

OK so iv been out at nighttime with my torch and have seen some snail trails along the wall at the back of my house! However no actual snails.

So, im making the beer trap. Il have to be careful though, because i dont want them to drown/die/get drunk.

How long should i put it out for? Should i make it easier for the snails to get to it (theres some gravel on the ground)? Am i unintentionally inviting any nasty things to me?

Dammit, this website http://www.ehow.com/how_2331216_make-beer-trap-snails.html says i have to make the beer level with the ground. i cant dig holes in the yard. would a dish covered with some kind of mesh be sufficient?

fecking snails, i never knew how crafty they are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I've got 2 types of snails, small ones that live on my roof and trek down every evening to do the damage, their shells are about 8mm across and big juicy french type snails on my grapevine in the polytunnel. Free to collect. I don't use any pesticides.

• Advertisement

Thank you very much for your offer yellowlabrador but i dont live in cork at the mo.

I dont suppose garden centres would have a problem with me putting down these traps would they? If i asked obviously...

I am now the proud owner/keeper of some big juicy garden snails! I enlisted the help of a nearby country home hotel place which has lots of gardens and greenhouses. The gardener and I spent almost an hour upturning pots and looking under dead pieces of wood/ ivy etc. Found 3 frogs, 100's of slugs and earwigs, numerous worms, and 8 yes thats right 8 snails. Turns out its very difficult to find snails when youre looking for them!

So thank you all for your help! Im sure what iv learned about snails will prove invaluable!

Advertisement