Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking to upgrade from bridge camera

• 22-06-2010 5:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I've had my bridge cam for a few years now. I've broken the screen on it some time last year and been using it without since. I've always wanted a better cam but up untill now never really had the money to splash out on something better.

I've initially looked into the Nikon D40 but this seems to have been replaced by the D60. Been reading a few reviews on the Canon 450d which make it out to be quite a capable cam as well, and a work colleague praising it lots!

Not quite sure what else is out there as a good beginners dslr camera. I've a budget of prob up 500, less is better off course but wouldn't mind spending a little extra to get some accessories or additional lenses.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I thought Iread somewhere it was the D60, but that doesn't matter.

Judging by prices, the 1000d and the d3000 are a step below the 450d and d60 then.

I'm not sure why but I'm leaning towards looking for the 450D as a 2nd hand cam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

450D is a much better camera than the 1000D, AFAIK. I shoot Nikon.

Also seem to me that there is quite a bit more used Canon equipment on Advert.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Forget ye not the Pentax K-X, said one of the few Pentax users ever.

Though stuff for it (lenses and such) are harder to buy new but you can get lots second hand off of the bay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,607 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Moved from Bridge camera this time last year to a Nikon D60
    Even though I do not give it as much as I should I love it :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kerryphoto

You should try to get a d80, started with one and loved it, super camera for someone beginning in DSLR, second hand should cost about €400 or so, trie adverts.ie and photographyireland.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I also went from bridge to Pentax K-X.
    "owned by few, loved by all"

Read reviews in mags- it gets great reviews but for most Canon/Nikon users it's a case of "from my cold dead hands"

I've just hada quick look on ebay and there seem to be some amazing deals like this one http://cgi.ebay.ie/NEW-CANON-EOS-Rebel-450D-XSi-D-SLR-CAMERA-3-LENS-KIT-BK-/180523848100?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item2a080f51a4

How can you get all that gear for what seems to be not a lot of money :confused: Are they fake cams?

Are refurbished cams worth looking into?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

jozi wrote: »
    I've just hada quick look on ebay and there seem to be some amazing deals like this one http://cgi.ebay.ie/NEW-CANON-EOS-Rebel-450D-XSi-D-SLR-CAMERA-3-LENS-KIT-BK-/180523848100?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item2a080f51a4

How can you get all that gear for what seems to be not a lot of money :confused: Are they fake cams?

Are refurbished cams worth looking into?

The 450D is sold as the Rebel XSi in the US and the Kiss X2 in Asia.
    'Grey Market' cameras like this are not covered by Canon Europe
    for warranty claims.

Don't be too impressed by the pile of cheap junk bundled with
    eBay cameras. The 'three lens kit' really only has one proper
    Canon lens. The rest are cheap screw-on attachments. Note
    the very high shipping costs for that eBay camera.

The new price for a 450D is €597.56 from Argos. For this you
    get the European model with 12 month warranty and the proper
    power plug.

Refurbs are certainly worth considering, but you will
    find most of them are the US Rebel models. The
    warranty period on refurbs is usually just 90 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭golfman

I picked up a hardly used 2nd hand 400d for €280 the other day from gumtree. 2 days before that I had gone into Conns to buy a 550d kit for €900 but they were sold out. After chatting to a couple of people they said the 400d would do everything I needed. The money I saved paid for my 10-22mm :)

• Advertisement

Never thought of checking gumtree (or donedeal)

What do you mak of this guy: http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/68/50611068.html

I think I'm going to shop about for a canon 450d.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

jozi wrote: »
    Never thought of checking gumtree (or donedeal)

What do you mak of this guy: http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/68/50611068.html

I think I'm going to shop about for a canon 450d.

Leave it well alone. When I was in the market for a used dslr I hit Gumtree too. That very ad kept popping up. I actually e-mailed [they used to have an e-mail address underneath the advert] once asking how much for a 450D, and they replied "I will give what you want for this camera" ...Um, oooook.

Also watch out for 'great bargains from Kildare. If it seems way too good to be true, it is. You'll e-mail inquiring and 100% certain you'll get a response saying "I am away in London at the moment, but if you pass on your details and payment I will send the camera on to you, it is brand new ..."

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

you can get a K10D which has everything you could want in a camera for a steal off of adverts. you could get one from bhphotovideo or adorama for 300 euro delivered!! get a 18-55 lens for 50 quid and you got a perfect kit for 350.

if you want other stuff like live preview and smaller bodies etc i would look at the new olympus' models:) happy hunting its not easy!!

Advertisement