Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Leixlip

Options
  • 22-06-2010 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Im thinking of moving to leixlip and looking for general info about the area(nightlife etc). Just wondering how long would it take to drive dublin city center in the mornings and how is the traffic etc? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Spiderman80884

I'm from Leixlip, born and bred, etc. I love the place. That said many new residents have had mixed feelings about the place but I suppose that it depends on what your expectations are.

From what I can gather Friday nights are generally pretty slow in terms of nightlife although Murphy's have live music on if you're into that. On Saturday night there seems to be more happening around the town with the choice of two performers in the Courtyard (upstairs main bar and Piano bar).

Darkie Moores also has live music (nt sure which night - possibly Saturday) and the Middle Shop has some good bands.

Then there's the club at Darkie Moores for some late night.

There is some good choices in restaurants with two reasonable Chinese restaurants, Alivitos, Da Vinci's, Becketts, The Bradain Restaurant in the Leixlip House Hotel.

If you just want a pint and a chat with a few mates then the Salmon Leap is ok.

I'll admit that it's not the strip on Las Vegas but if you are looking for some mad nights out then you are close enough to town to get a late bus home and you could always get to Lucan or Maynooth easily enough.

I don't go into town in the mornings that often however with the new road you could probably leave your house and be parked inside an hour. Buses are fairly regular and there is a train service that will take you into Connolly Station.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Not born and bred, but have been living there for over 20 years at this stage, and I'm happy out there.

Driving into town may be a bit of a mare though, as the other poster said, much easier and less stressful to use train, there are 2 stations there, Leixlip Louisa Bridge and Leixlip Confey. The town is also well serviced by the 66 (and subsidiary) Bus route

2 GAA clubs, both of which are quite active, 2 Soccer clubs, again, both active. 2 sets of Astro turf pitches, 1 running club. The astro pitches and running club are both around the area of the Amenities centre, opposite Intel. Salmon Leap Canoe Club and Barnhlall RFC are both just outside the town.

There are 2 secondary schools, 1 Gaelscoil and 4 primary schools.

There are 2 R.C. churches, and 1 CoI church.

All the 2's of this and that might make you think that there is a local rivalry...there is!! :) But it's the type of thing that happens in every town in this country. Yeah there are fights and incidents between kids from the 2 parishes, but everyone's grown out of it by the time they're 20. Unless they are retarded. And there are a few of them in every town too!! Otherwise the rivalry mostly comes out on the sports pitches

As for night-life, the town is serviced by 5 pubs on Main street (I'm including the leap here), then there are the 2 GAA clubhouses, there are 6 hotels (Springfield, Beckett's, Liffey Valley House Hotel, Leixlip House Hotel, Courtyard and the Riverforest Hotel)
    The food in Beckett's is probably the best in the village, but there are plenty restaurants around, to suit every palate.
    There is also a night club at the far (from Dublin) end of main street, but i have to confess to not being in it since Christmas, and that was my first time since... the previous Christmas so can't guide ya there!!

About the only thing that the town is missing is a major grocery retailer, there is a SuperValu up the captains hill, Eurospar on the celbridge Road and lidl or aldi or one of them on the Maynooth road, but for the Weekly big grocery shop you are talking about into Lucan or Maynooth, where you can choose between a Tesco, Dunnes or Superquinn.

The local cinema would be either Vue in Liffey Valley or UCI in Blanchardstown, both within 15/20 minute drive.

Hope this helps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

Thanks for your replys. There a great help.
    Much appreciated.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

ICE HOUSE wrote: »
    Thanks for your replys. There a great help.
    Much appreciated.:)

Anytime.

Advertisement