Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Saddle???

• 22-06-2010 6:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

I am getting fierce pressure between my A** and B***s (sorry but cant explain it any other way). I was looking at getting a saddle like this http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=9267&categoryID=1038 LBS said it would be a good idea to get this type of saddle with the middle section gone so would be no pressure then. I have a focus cayo with its orignal saddle(concept) and i adjusted it every way possible but no joy,pain after 20kms. Did anybody have this problem and sorted it by buying a saddle of this type. i dont want to spend anymore than €60 as im just a cyclist not a pro:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Also worth checkıng your saddle ıs level and posıtıoned correctly (heıght and fore-aft.) I haven't used a saddle wıth a cutout but I have experıenced the ıssue you descrıbed a few tımes and have always addressed ıt through changıng the saddle posıtıon. It wıll certaınly be exacerbated ıf your saddle ıs nose up.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

fiestaman wrote: »
    I am getting fierce pressure between my A** and B***s (sorry but cant explain it any other way). I was looking at getting a saddle like this http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=9267&categoryID=1038 LBS said it would be a good idea to get this type of saddle with the middle section gone so would be no pressure then. I have a focus cayo with its orignal saddle(concept) and i adjusted it every way possible but no joy,pain after 20kms. Did anybody have this problem and sorted it by buying a saddle of this type. i dont want to spend anymore than €60 as im just a cyclist not a pro:)

Hi, I also have a Focus Cayo and replaced that concept saddle after a few weeks just couldn't get used to it . I've tried a few saddles but at the moment I have the Fizik Aliante . I must have this saddle on now for 6 months good saddle but it does take awhile to dial it in . Money wise at the time I think it was in around 250 euro not cheap .

Don't count my self as a pro but at the time I would of payed anything . Who knows you could pick one up for 8 euro and it might be the best thing since bread came sliced . Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭Al Wright

Very important that saddle is correct width to support your sit bones (I dont know the medical term, but you feel them sitting on a hard seat). If it isn't wide enough your weight is supported on more tender body parts.
    I replaced a saddle with width of 140mm on a new bike for one 154 mm wide for that very reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Harkev

I found the Selle TRK saddle was pretty good:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23428

They make a range of them going up to €400, but the bog standard €36 one sorted me out just fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

what shapes your ar*e ?

i have a big arse and bought a selle italia max flite its pretty wide for a mens saddle but i find it great (combined with santini gitcx shorts), got me round the sligo an post tour no prob (ar*e was fine legs were a different matter that evening :D )

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25467

its quite a bit wider than a lot of saddles may try a fizik one day but it'll do for now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Al Wright wrote: »
    Very important that saddle is correct width to support your sit bones (I dont know the medical term, but you feel them sitting on a hard seat). If it isn't wide enough your weight is supported on more tender body parts.
    I replaced a saddle with width of 140mm on a new bike for one 154 mm wide for that very reason

100% correct - You NEED the correct width, 1st, then you need to think about shape. Measure your sitbones centre to centre - sit on a folded towel and measure the indents ( or you could sit in wet concrete:))
    Take a good look at the saddle you don't like and try to decide what shape you would prefer - round? flat? Hammock effect?
    Can you borrow or buy 2nd hand? 2nd hand saddles are easy to resell.
    Try to approach this methodically - listening to well intentioned advise from people who have found their own perfect saddle will usually cost you money.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

took me a long time figure out the ideal formula for me! I think saddle fit is something you hit upon and never look back. To echo an earlier sentiment saddles should never be tilted always flat (unless you want to destroy your man bits) saddle width was the most significant factor for me, something around 130mm was ideal, found cushioning to be least significant factor. All a saddle should really need to is direct the weight of your upper body down through the arse bones of the pelvic girdle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭fiestaman

Al Wright wrote: »

Thanks, i was thinking that the width is wrong but wasnt sure, it makes sense because if my ass bones are not supported then all the weight is on the part i said was getting sore. i think i need a wider saddle so and il get one with a cut out also. Thanks lads:)

Advertisement