Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

excellent central hotel

Options
  • 22-06-2010 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

was looking to head down to dublin saturday week for one night with the mrs for our anniversary and was looking to book somwhere nice in the city centre was looking at the westbury,the westin or the fitzwilliam as its a special occasion price is irrelevant.
    any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

I still think the Shelbourne is hard to beat. Very luxurious and while on the expensive side they are doing deals at the moment. If you do decide to stay there don't wine and dine there though, a glass of rather ordinary white wine will set you back €12-15, totally outrageous!!! So if booking just book the room or B & B unless there is a special including dinner and then choose from anyone of the gazillion restaurants that are located nearby

http://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/hotel-rooms/dubbr-the-shelbourne-dublin-a-renaissance-hotel/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the westin is pretty impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I think the Westin is class. Good food, Drink and Bar and nice Bedrooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    I still think the Shelbourne is hard to beat. Very luxurious and while on the expensive side they are doing deals at the moment. If you do decide to stay there don't wine and dine there though, a glass of rather ordinary white wine will set you back €12-15, totally outrageous!!! So if booking just book the room or B & B unless there is a special including dinner and then choose from anyone of the gazillion restaurants that are located nearby

http://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/hotel-rooms/dubbr-the-shelbourne-dublin-a-renaissance-hotel/

Stayed in the Shelbourne just after Christmas this year and they have a set menu in their restaurant which is great value for what you get. I think it was about 40 each on the night but I see they now have a 3 course early bird for 26 euro. The food there is absolutely top class and the service was excellent.

Since our meal was paid for we splashed out on the wine and paid 50 euro for a bottle but there were bottles from 25 euro and upwards if I remember correctly.

In short - the restaurant was fine value for an absolutely top class meal. I would highly recommend it.

Wow that's really good value isn't it? Where did you see the early bird for €26 Jeff, is it an ongoing deal?

• Advertisement

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    Wow that's really good value isn't it? Where did you see the early bird for €26 Jeff, is it an ongoing deal?

It's up on their website at the moment: http://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/hotel-information/restaurant/dubbr-the-shelbourne-dublin-a-renaissance-hotel/

There's a link to a PDF of the menu on the right. In fact it's quite similar to the menu we chose from - but we ate much later so couldn't avail of any early bird offer.

You might want to ring them and check it's still being run though, sometimes websites can be slightly out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

cheers folk have narrowed it down to the westbury , shelbourne the westin and the fitzwilliam. will be dining out so it's just about the room to be honest

I've stayed in the Westbury and the Shelbourne. The Shelbourne definitely won out in the room stakes for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

anyone any experience of the fitzwilliam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

have eaten in it a few times but never stayed, food was incredible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

my favourite

http://www.dylan.ie/

highly recommend

my favourite

http://www.dylan.ie/

highly recommend

I've hear great things about that place alright.

Have stayed in the Dylan and it is really gorgeous. I do think the "gloss" has worn off it a little though and it could do with being tarted up as it's suffering a bit from wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

Re. Fitzwilliam Hotel, although we were upgraded to top floor overlooking The Green, room and balcony were cramped and bars/restaurants/lobby seemed clinical/business orientated.

Advertisement