Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony x10 mini or Samsung spica

• 22-06-2010 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭

Ok I am getting a new phone for my father with 3.

Hew wants an android phone and is has a upgrade with 3 available. Sony x10 mini or Samsung spica

I have the desire but the loudspeaker is not loud enough so that rules that one out.

They both are €50.

I'm leaning towards the Spica because the screen size is bigger since he has big fingers and he want to be able to read the text without glasses.

Or do I tell him to go for an Iphone for €300, which I doubt he would do anyway as he likes his phones cheap or free.

Thx Beno

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Hardware wise I'd probably go with the Samsung, IMO they are a very good hardware company and the phone is better spec'd than the Sony model. Plus your Dad wants a bigger screen. The only blemish on the Samsung is their support, I've heard that they have a tendency to drop support for a model as soon as the newer generation comes out (which is often every 6 months) so whatever version of Android it ships with is probably the one it will stay with. Its only their second android phone, so hardly a trend, but something to keep in mind. Additionally it only has 180Mb internal memory, which is a little low, and it needs 2.2 in order to store apps on the SD card.

Have you compared this phones to the HTC Legend (assuming its available on 3), it's pretty close to this phones spec's wise and I quite like how durable it feels. Don't know how loud the speaker is, but then I haven't noticed the one on my Desire being all that quite either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

I'd agree that the Desire has a very quiet speaker - it's one of the only disappointments I had with it. I was used to the volume of a Nokia E71,
    which is fantastic - you could listen to a podcast while doing the dishes no problem. I'm between Desires at the moment and have a Spica.
    The Spica is significantly louder than the Desire, but is a simpler device.

Mine shipped with Android 1.5, but the Samsung update software brought it up to 2.1-1 for me yesterday. It doesn't have HTC sense on it,
    but it's much the same under the hood except for no multitouch yet.

Advertisement