Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HIV infections up 42% in the past year for men who have sex with men

Options
  • 22-06-2010 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

HSE has announced today that the infection rate of HIV among men who have sex with men is up 42% (and be aware this is only the reported figure and does not take account of people who don't know etc) this year alone and over 200% in the past few years, whereas it has levelled out among drug users and heterosexuals.

I have to say as a gay man in my 40's who was around when HIV first struck people and I know many who died from HIV/AIDS, I find it amazing these days among young gay guys, there seems to be an a very lax attitude to safe sex. The highest increase is among the 30 and under age category. You only have to look at Gaydar or other gay sites to see the number of guys who have unsafe sex. Also there seems to be an opinion around these days among younger guys, that a few tablets and you will be fine, which is far from the truth.

I would urge all men who have sex with men to take great care and always have safe sex. Also regular use of the Gay Men's Health Clinic to be tested for HIV and STI's is something that should be normal procedure for guys these days. There is no need to be embaraassed or ashamed to be at the clinic, in fact people seeing you there, shows that you are responsible.
    The clinics are confidential and free of charge and provide counselling etc.

Please guys use this great resource and be careful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

it's ridiculous to not practice safe sex
    i'll just never understand people don't use condoms

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Seems like a huge increase - does it tend to vary much from year to year? Or is there any possibility its just more people are getting tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Don't forget that AIDs isn't nearly as scary as it used to be - it is now a chronic illness and not a fatal disease (in the first world).

It makes sense that people are less afraid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Sure look on xtube, 9 out 10 are BB. It's the in thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Frei

Don't forget that AIDs isn't nearly as scary as it used to be - it is now a chronic illness and not a fatal disease (in the first world).

Tell that to people who have it, I am sure they would disagree. It is still something that is very difficult to treat and should never be taken lightly. It is not fun having to take medicine for the rest of your life that can have a lot of serious side effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

I attended a very close friend of mines funeral last year, who died of AIDS-related cancer.

They must have forgotten to tell him.

AIDS-campaign01.jpg

http://www.eglobe1.com/word/wp-content/images/art/AIDS-campaign01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That's exactly the problem now - that people *aren't* afraid of it, and are taking more risks because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Seems like a huge increase - does it tend to vary much from year to year? Or is there any possibility its just more people are getting tested?

I wondered about that myself, I think / hope that's a contributing factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Have they given any reason for such a huge increase? I mean I think most people (or at least I hope, especially gay men) know how you get hiv/aids? What else could it be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It used to be that you'd be dead in 6 to 10 years and now with better diet, changing life style and a cocktail of meds it's possible to live 15 + and remain HIV positive and not have the T cell count decline so that you have aids.

So there are a lot of young men who can't seem themselves living much more then those 15 years or seem to think that a cure will be found, also we don't have the same level of health advertising on the issue and it's coming up on 15 years from the first ad campaign on the issue and we have young adults who missed out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

Thaedydal wrote: »
    It used to be that you'd be dead in 6 to 10 years and now with better diet, changing life style and a cocktail of meds it's possible to live 15 + and remain HIV positive and not have the T cell count decline so that you have aids.

So there are a lot of young men who can't seem themselves living much more then those 15 years or seem to think that a cure will be found, also we don't have the same level of health advertising on the issue and it's coming up on 15 years from the first ad campaign on the issue and we have young adults who missed out on it.

Spot on.

Sexual health education is atrocious for heterosexual young people as it is, never mind gay sexual health. :mad:

People seem very relaxed about std's these days, and I say that as a young person myself. All the emphasis nowadays seems to be on the 'obesity epidemic' and healthy eating which is important, but imo other problems are being overlooked because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

it's ridiculous to not practice safe sex
    i'll just never understand people don't use condoms

Unfortunately we are the generation of the pill, the reason the whole outbreak probably started in the first place.

IMO, A LOT of people only think about contraception, as in protection against pregnancy

So, if a girl is on the pill, she prob wouldnt use a condom = no protections against STDs

Gay men and women cant impregnate eachother, so might think condoms/protection are useless

Then there's things like the "early withdraw techniques"

and no consideration of cross contamination between hands/mouth/genitals

People either just dont know, or just don't care, and it scares the crap out of me

"That'd never happen to me........."

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It's really worrying. And it's turning me off sex a lot. I get the impression that there's just so much disease out there. I've always played safe. I've had mild issues like crabs, but I've got them (crabs specifically) more often than not when I've had sex that I almost think everyone is walking around with something. And I feel like these milder issues are probably indicative in some cases of more serious conditions.

(And, wtf guys? How can you not notice if you have crabs? And how can you sleep with someone while you have that? Can you seriously not wait until you've cleared yourself of them? Maybe some guys don't give a **** about looking after themselves cos they don't see a future beyond 15 years, per the posts above, but perhaps you could spare a thought for those of us who like living. You're creating danger for more people than yourself. /rant)

The net result is that I'm basically sexually inactive now. I still date, but I don't rush to hit the sack. In fact, the last few guys I've gone out with have petered into nothing because I feel like I'd want to drag them down to a GP for testing before letting them in my bed. I know that's weird, but it's honestly how I feel now. People are just being careless and I feel like I'm playing russian roulette with partner choices.

Advertisement