Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My first bike(help)

• 22-06-2010 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Never been into motorbikes but afew months ago had a go of my mates Kawasaki ZX12R and since then have fell in love with them, Ive been messing around on different bikes and now have decided Im going to get a bike of my own, and I intend to use it for getting around, everyday use etc

I got my provisional license last week, and Im on the hunt at the mo. I have a grand to spend(perhaps a tiny bit more if Im pushed), but problem is I dont know what kinda bike to get, Im looking to get a nice bike 125 to 250 but nothing too nice if you know what I mean, is it possible to get an Ok bike for this money?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

You "had a go" on a ZX12R????? Did you ride it yourself? Or were you a pillion? That's alot of bike to "have a go" on.

If you got yourself a provisional A license (as opposed to an A1), you're wasting your time getting anything smaller than a 250. You won't be able to do your test on it.

A grand is a small budget. You might get a bike at that price (it certainly won't be new or anywhere near it). But insurance will probably be almost the same again (depending on your age). Then you need to get yourself a lid. And optionally (but strongly recommended), some gloves, a jacket, some boots and set of pants. Legally you're only obliged to ride around with a lid. But if you value your skin and its contents you'll gear up.

Before you go shopping for a bike, you'll need to know (roughly) how much insurance and other startup costs are going to set you back. Subtract this from your overall budget and then you can start searching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shinners11

hi im also lookin into gettin my 1st bike im 19,female wot would be the best bike for me thats within the restrictions? and all the power to ratio stuff?
    ill b goin for a category A licence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

In all cases, I can't recommend getting proper training enough. Best of all if you can do it in advance. It will lower your insurance as well as making more bikes available to you.

AON made me get the training before they insured me on my first bike and it benefits me every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

3 years on since my first bike, i'm regretting not doing the training, i'm gonna do an assesment as soon as possible, it would've saved me over a grand these couple years, but it ain't too late.

Also, instead of starting a new thread, i'd just hop in this one, my gf is looking at getting a bike, now i'm telling her to get a car first, as she's living in the countryside and has a bit of a commute.
    She wants a vespa, but i'm saying to her that a bike, like a cbf 250 or something else in that range would be much much better. Cause a vespa's wheels will just dissappear into the potholes on the country roads, not to mention winter conditions.
    Any suggestions for a not so tall 20 year old girl? preferably bigger than 125 so she can sit the test for a full A license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

What kind of bikes does she like?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Super4 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Rojo25

Thanks for replies folks, in regards AlanMc's comments:

Ive messed around on bikes before, so know the basics on riding them, my friend is mad into his bikes and gave me shot of the ZX12R, a tad nerve racking at first but got hang of it better after afew days messing around on it and some other bikes.

I understand completely about the insurance and safety gear, my friend has a jacket and a pair of gloves for me and I intend getting helmet if it doesnt come with bike, the insurance I looked into and Im looking at approx 750 year due to my age, but can pay in installments through direct debit, have car insured aswell on full license maybe that will help, Im in my late 20s, if Im pushed to fork over money for other things that may spring up then no bother, I just want get started.

The grand I have to spend is exclusively for bike, Ive been looking at websites, and see afew bikes that fit the price range, either they are around 75 to 125cc range or else they higher cc bike that is alot older, most from around 88 to 93 approx.

The first bike is just to get used to motorbike riding in general, if I need lessons Ill get them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Super4 ;)

what he said. :D

You'll pick one up for about a grand and wont get bored like you would on a 125 or 250.

Not sure if this is boards legal, but I found a stickie on another well known Irish biker forum <cough>. It's a (not fully comprehensive) list of learner bikes dated August 2008, but it should be pretty relevant. Defo a place to start.

Anyway, here's the link:

IBF Learner Legal Bike List

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

If any of those looking for inexpensive bikes are from Dublin, ye could do a lot worse than checking out JP Motorcycles. Just went to their site there - lot of nice bikes over a large price range (900-8000+ euro).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    If any of those looking for inexpensive bikes are from Dublin, ye could do a lot worse than checking out JP Motorcycles. Just went to their site there - lot of nice bikes over a large price range (900-8000+ euro).

I found them to be pretty expensive, they had a pretty dirty Firestorm advertised for almost €3000 :pac:

But they do finance, so that's a good thing I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

KamiKazi wrote: »
    I found them to be pretty expensive, they had a pretty dirty Firestorm advertised for almost €3000 :pac:

But they do finance, so that's a good thing I suppose.
    It's also kind of annoying that they don't list the mileage on the vast majority of their bikes. I'm taking a ride down there today, though. They have a few GSFs and a CBF that I LIKES the look of! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Rojo25

Just an update folks, got my hands on a 95 NSR 125 unrestricted, bike is in great nick, everything perfect on it as was just serviced last month, so delighted , have wait for insurance before can hit road

Well wear my good man. Post back after you've taken her out on a first date.

Congrats again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Rojo25 wrote: »
    Just an update folks, got my hands on a 95 NSR 125 unrestricted, bike is in great nick, everything perfect on it as was just serviced last month, so delighted , have wait for insurance before can hit road

You can't use that for the A test. Apply for a cancelation and get some lessons on a school bike, then hire one for your test. Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

Just as it happens, i put an ad on adverts.ie for my sons motorbike, its an 09 125cc. He passed the driving test recently and is upgrading to a higher CC. He got great use out of it.

I dont know whether Im allowed to post a link here :P

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=245395

Advertisement