Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Knocking sound while breaking

• 22-06-2010 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi, i recently bought a honda 1.7 diesel, and i noticed while braking there is a knocking sound coming from the back, there is also movement in the brake pedal, the car has had new brake pads fitted recently and i was wondering if this was the problem and if not, then what is?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Bigus

Its either warped discs or Drums gone oval from the mechanic banging with a hammer to get them off( only applies to drums) Need two new drums, or two new rear discs
    BTW its Braking not breaking

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Donal199

sorry, only realised i spelt it wrong when it was up. It has discs all round, so that would be an expensive fix would it? Or would it be safe to leave it as it is?
    Thanks Bigus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Bigus

No ; price a set of discs in a motor factors. If it was lying up for a while it might be excessive rust on the surface of the disc and less where the pads covered it from the rain. Try and diagnose the proB by freewheelin each of the four wheels jacked up even one at a time.
    OR jack up the front and test it in second gear with your foot lightly on the brake pedal to eliminate if its the front causinfg the prob float in the pedal .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Damien360

Could just be a buckled alloy. I hit a very large pothole a few weeks ago and had the same sympthons. Had to change the wheel to fix. There was a knocking noise when running but it got a lot worse on braking.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Donal199

Thanks Bigus, i'l try that, the car is lowered so it would be easier to buckle a rim, it only knocks under light braking btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

I have the same problem with my car. She was left idle for about 6 months so could it be the rust?

Is this a huge problem? Should I get it fixed ASAP or am I ok leaving it for a week or two to get finances together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

could it be the old "mother-in-law in the boot" thing?:D

If this only started since you had the pads fitted, pop it back to the garage, I'm sure the'y check it out for you, could be that the pads havent bedded in yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Could also be after-market pads that aren't an exact fit in the caliper; causing them to shift slightly and click as the pad bites. I've had this before - makes a pronounced knock but brakes work fine.

Advertisement