Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows in rented house

Options
  • 22-06-2010 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

My husband and I are living in a 3 bed semi in a really nice area with a reasonable rent. We've been here nearly a year now and our lease will be up at the end of July. We love the house and its convenient for our jobs, close to my family and secure for our dog. We really don't want to move as it will be difficult to find somewhere else so convenient and that will accept our large and boisterous dog!
    The only issue with the house is that it doesn't have double glazing and the wooden window frames are in a pretty bad state. The other day our dog actually skidded and went through a window. Thankfully he's fine but its been a nuisance for us to replace the window, we've had to get glass cut and I'm going to have to try to install it myself (which could be disasterous!) as we can't find a glazier who'll install a single glazed window pane.
    Anyway I think the landlady likes us and wants us to stay and I was just wondering whether is would be very cheeky to ask her to pay for double glazing and replacing the windows?! Does anybody know if there're any kind of council grants or anything you can get to upgrade windows? I thought I remembered hearing something about this a few years ago?
    Or could anybody estimate how much it would approximately cost to replace windows in an average 3 bed semi?

I just feel the windows are the only thing that let the house down, the heating bills in winter are crazy and I'm constantly worried that even opening the window could cause damage! I know it could be seen as quite cheeky but would it be worth suggesting it to her and even offering to pay 50e extra rent a month or something?

Any advise greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

its not cheeky but you need to realise that its expensive to replace and its unlikely the landlord will agree although the extra rent might siwng it

thats assuming its not a protected structure. there are houses around in which you are not allowed to replace the single glazing in. I know of somebody with one such house in Renelagh. its a pain but the pen pushers in the council dont have anything better to be doing i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

i recently bought 6 windows for a 3 bed semi - good double galzing windows, total cost came to 1550, but thats coz they were brown, im sure you would get white ones that lil bit cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

messrs wrote: »
    i recently bought 6 windows for a 3 bed semi - good double galzing windows, total cost came to 1550, but thats coz they were brown, im sure you would get white ones that lil bit cheaper

yeah i assume your fitting them yourself though. You could probably double that if your getting them fitted as most people would require to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

didnt fit them myself , wouldnt know the first thing about it, got a family member to do it for me, but he said it wasnt that difficult - im sure someone would be happy with a nixer to fit windows and wouldnt charge that much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

offer 50 e per month, she might go for it,as she will get a tax alowance over 5 years approx if she gets a vat registered company to do it and gets proper receipts.
    Thats assuming the council allow her, is there other old houses in the street that, have double glazing.
    Theres a temporary double glazing system see here
    http://myreader.co.uk/msg/1391139319.aspx
    ie you put it on in the autumn , it reduces heating bills.

old windows use weights and ropes on both sides ,if the ropes wear,break, its hard to open the windows, they are quite heavy.
    its very easy to replace, put in a new rope, takes maybe 35 mins per rope.
    i did it 6 times, very simple job.

to repair sash ropes its pretty basic diy, you can buy new sash ropes in a hardware store.
    its not cheeky to ask, if shes not registered with tax office as a landlord, then she cannot
    claim any tax credits for the work.
    see here, http://www.fancyahouse.co.uk/advice/diy-double-glazing-temporary-and-cheaper-solution/

each window frame has 2 ropes , inside frame , on the left right theres
    a rope, going to a weight 7inch long , this acts as a counter weight , when you open the window.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsvwtWZR-R4 see here window rope repair.

• Advertisement
Advertisement