Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holiday

• 22-06-2010 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

I am going away for two weeks - can I collect my dole in advance of doing so?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

FLYNN-DOG wrote: »

:eek: Erm no, social welfare is not like an ATM! ;) You must let them know you are going away for two weeks at least two weeks in advance. You will get your payment you missed after the next time you sign on your return. Pity you can't do it to tide you over during the two weeks away but at least you can take two weeks and still get paid!

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Pages/jajbfaq.aspx#q18 see Q.18 for more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

there's a possibilty ill end up staying longer, maybe a month.....could i collect that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

there's a possibilty ill end up staying longer, maybe a month.....could i collect that?

That doesn't sound like a holiday ... but I'll humour you. You will be covered for the two weeks, but no longer. Read that link I sent you which states similar. If you stay away too long they will simply sign you off and you need to declare how long it is you are going for when you let them know re the holiday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No.
    Did you read the link provided in post #2?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

my girlfriend forgot to tell them she was heading off and now we go to Malta on August 17th and the quickest she'll be able to tell them is next Monday the 9th....but they require two weeks notice so now she is starting to freak out a bit about going on holiday as she wants to protect her jsb...what should we do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 steve McQueen

can you go away for 3 weeks and only get paid for two but leave your claim open? or do you have to start a new claim all over again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

can you go away for 3 weeks and only get paid for two but leave your claim open? or do you have to start a new claim all over again?

YES

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

ffs i work 40+ hours a week & cant afford a holiday, well for some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

There is Zero Tolerance for posters being critical of those on benefits either individual posters or benefit claimants as a group.
    nevaeh-2die-4 banned for 2 weeks from forum.

How someone decides to spend their money is no business of yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

A person may receive Jobseeker's Benefit or Jobseeker's Allowance for 2 weeks holidays (i.e. 12 days excluding Sundays) in any calendar year. These holidays may be taken abroad.

The person is required to inform the Local Office 2 weeks in advance of their departure and to complete form UP 30. All holiday payments should be made retrospectively, upon confirmation of the position when the person signs on again (on the next normal signing day after their return). If a person goes on holiday for longer than 2 weeks, they may be paid in respect of the first two weeks, but should not receive payment for any period abroad in excess of this.
    The qualified adult of a person in receipt of Jobseeker's Benefit may take up to 2 weeks foreign holiday. A disqualification in respect of the increase for a qualified adult should be imposed in respect of any period in excess of 2 weeks. It is not necessary for a UP30 to be completed in respect of a qualified adult.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Pages/jajbfaq.aspx#q18

When you go to the SW office to fill the UP 30 form, you should mention your intention to take the extra week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

donfers wrote: »
    my girlfriend forgot to tell them she was heading off and now we go to Malta on August 17th and the quickest she'll be able to tell them is next Monday the 9th....but they require two weeks notice so now she is starting to freak out a bit about going on holiday as she wants to protect her jsb...what should we do?
    Not all social welfare offices require the 2 weeks notice. My local office requires you to come in the day before you are leaving and then the day after you come back. Tell your girlfriend to go in on monday and inform them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You should be fine with that. Tell them before hand and your claim will be left open and you'll just get the two weeks paid when you get back. I went away for 5 weeks last year and they left the claim open for me no problem. Just had to go back into them and sign on the day I got back and the money was there for me on the next collection date.

When I then left the country for 3 months later in the year the claim was not left open on my return, but it only took a week or so after I got back for the new claim to be opened as they already had all they needed to know. I had also told them I was going to be away for those three months anyway despite expecting the claim to be cancelled in the mean time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

cAr0l wrote: »
    There is Zero Tolerance for posters being critical of those on benefits either individual posters or benefit claimants as a group.
    nevaeh-2die-4 banned for 2 weeks from forum.

How someone decides to spend their money is no business of yours.

I would exactly call it 'their' money

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I would exactly call it 'their' money

Who's is it then? And how do you know what the source of the money anyone is spending on anything actually was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

robinph wrote: »
    Who's is it then? And how do you know what the source of the money anyone is spending on anything actually was?

Taxpayers money. The source of my money is through my employers who recieve money through advertising revenue and pay me for my service. Ah well, enjoy the holiday anyways OP - you deserve the break :D And yes, I'll probably get banned for saying that but come on, that mods statement on 'their money' deserves some objection

Taxpayers money.

Yep, so just as much theirs as anyone else's seeing as they will have been taxpayers themselves until unfortunately ending up in the position of claiming benefits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

speedboatchase You have no idea where the funds from the holiday came from, and therefore are not entitled to make any judgemental comments.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Shatner

Christ. Someone got a ban for saying that they work 40+ hours a week and they can't afford a holiday.

Taxpayers in this country have a right to talk about how money is spent on services. Social Welfare is too high in this country as it is. SW should be a safety net for people that lose their jobs. So they can shelter, and eat, and clothe themselves and have some basic leisure activities. If someone can afford 2 weeks (maybe a month) in Malta, then SW benefit is far too much. Where is the incentive to actually go out and work if a job becomes available.

These are important questions.

Yeah yeah backseat modding blah blah blah I'm banned now.

What if the holiday was paid for months in advance of ending up on benefits? Just not go anymore and let the holiday company keep all the money so that you feel better.

We are all tax payers, even those that don't have a job are still paying taxes. Once you spend money the government gets it share too. Unless all you ever buy is milk, bread and children's clothes*.

*May not actually be zero rated anymore, but anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Shatner

What if the holiday was paid for months in advance of ending up on benefits? Just not go anymore and let the holiday company keep all the money so that you feel better.

We are all tax payers, even those that don't have a job are still paying taxes. Once you spend money the government gets it share too. Unless all you ever buy is milk, bread and children's clothes*.

*May not actually be zero rated anymore, but anyway.

FLYNN-DOG was a masters student for the whole of last year. If he hadn't a job lined up and intended signing on for the summer, he shouldn't have booked a holiday.

I have every sympathy with people who have lost their jobs and are forced on to SW. There are a lot of people taking the absolute p*** however and they are ruining it for everyone else.

A quick browse through FLYNN-DOGS posts tells me that he is living the life of Reilly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

can we get this thread back on topic please take your discussions about social welfare policy to Politics. If you are here to pass judgement on other people, don't post here as it will result in infraction and / or banning

Read the charter please before posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

Im going away for 5 days next week and my dole office asked me to pop into them the day after I get back.

Is that just to confirm that you came back?

Also do they pay you owed money there or is it just added to your next post office collection?

Just to confirm that you actually came back when you said you were coming back. You payment for the holiday week will be added to the next payment that you collect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

Just to confirm that you actually came back when you said you were coming back. You payment for the holiday week will be added to the next payment that you collect.

Cheers for that man. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I'm in a similar position to this. Basically my dole day is Tuesday and I happen to have an interview next Tuesday in Limerick and as such won't be able to make it to the post office.
    Its not a holiday but from what I can see that's really the only way to treat it.

I completely forgot to tell SW just wondering does anyone know what my best course of action is . I'll probably drop into SW office this afternoon and see, but if anyone was able to give me a heads up on what to expect be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I'm in a similar position to this. Basically my dole day is Tuesday and I happen to have an interview next Tuesday in Limerick and as such won't be able to make it to the post office.
    Its not a holiday but from what I can see that's really the only way to treat it.

I completely forgot to tell SW just wondering does anyone know what my best course of action is . I'll probably drop into SW office this afternoon and see, but if anyone was able to give me a heads up on what to expect be great.

collect it wednesday,thursday or friday, the payment will stay in the PO for 3 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

cruizer101 wrote: »

I'm guessing when you say dole day you mean your signing day? If thats the case then it's perfectly acceptable to miss a signing day, just make sure you go in the next day and bring proof that you had a job interview such as a letter stating you had the interview.

Advertisement