Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phonetic spelling of a word

Options
  • 22-06-2010 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

"Walked"

How would you write that using phonetic symbols.
    Like from here:
    http://www.e-lang.co.uk/mackichan/call/pron/type.html

Please note I'm not asking people to invent their own phonetic spelling, i'm actually asking what technical phonetic symbols to use.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Whiskey alpha lima kilo echo delta.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I think the closest way to spell it like that is /wðkd/.
    I looked it up here.
    More info here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

wɒkt is what I came up with.

Argh, trying to remember my phonetics!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

The Oxford English Dictionary Online gives this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=117802&stc=1&d=1277247233

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

The Oxford English Dictionary Online gives this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=117802&stc=1&d=1277247233

Yes but that is present tense.
    What is the correct way do write it phonetically in the past tense?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

wɒkt is fine.

Here's a useful site: http://www.upodn.com/phun.asp

Edit: ɪts nɑt tu dɪfəkəlt wəns ju gɛt ðə hæŋ əv ɪt.

Thanks

For context, this is a question i've run into on an online tefl course and have gotten stuck into some tough grammar!

Check it out:

Question:
    I "walked" /wɔ:kId/ to school today. (Elementary)
    What is wrong with this?

(my)Answer:
    1. The student has used the incorrect phonetics for 'walked'. It would sound like walkid (/I/).
    2. Slip of the tongue.
    3. Pronunciation.
    4. I would repeat the sentence and when I get to the word 'walked' I would say the first part and then pause for the student to self-correct. The structure is correct, just the prononciation needs to be work on.

Comment (from the tester): Your answer is not clear enough. I want you to look at the phonetic chart, which represents the speaker's pron, and ask yourself how the speaker said the word "walked"...imagine a non-native friend saying it to you. It's a common problem - it's not a slip of the tongue - why do you think it happened?

I believe they've pronouced it like: "walkid".
    I suppose it's a common enough problem.
    But is there a good reason WHY they've pronounced it like that?
    Is there some nuance rule in English that says words with "alk" and end with "ed" are pronounced thusly?
    What do you think the tester wants me to say?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The speaker has pronounced it as walk-ed, as you correctly surmise and while I think it might be a little unfair to ask you why exactly he or she may have done that, what you could do is give example of similar past participles (e.g. 'wanted') which may have inspired the speaker's choice. In modern English, the tendency is to assimilate the -ed into the final syllable where possible. This is feasible with 'walk' but not 'want'.

Incidentally, the last symbol should realistically be a /t/ as it's virtually impossibly to pronounce a voiced /d/ after an unvoiced /k/. I also doubt even a native speaker would use a /I/ instead of a /ə/ (schwa) but it might be best not to mention this.

Is there a reason your answer is in four parts? It's hard to understand what you're saying exactly if these are not four answers to four separate sub-questions and if this is the case, can you post up the sub-questions?

As it stands (the question you posted) the best answer would be your 1. plus an explanation of the correct transcribed pronunciation and a possible reason as to why they person made this mistake (see above).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

There is in fact a rule for the voiced/unvoiced endings that most native speakers don't know about.

If a word ends in a particular voiceless sound, then the ending is also voiceless,
    i.e the unvoiced sounds p, k, f, sh, s, ch, th.

So verbs like chip, walk, laugh, mash, gas, match, (can't think of one off the top of my head for unvoiced "th") will take the unvoiced t sound.

A fuller explanation can be seen at http://www.clearly-speaking.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=198:a-pronunciation-secret-for-past-tense-endings&catid=47:foreign-accent

Edit: Sorry, I see that Pickarooney has already mentioned this.

Thanks for that, those links and an explanation of the rule.
    Helpful stuff that i will be sure to include in my re-try.

• Advertisement
Advertisement