Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inchicore

Options
  • 22-06-2010 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

I'm moving to inchicore for a couple of months. any advice on good restaurants, pubs and the local area?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Personally, other than the bar in The Black Lion, I'd avoid the rest of the pubs and drink in town instead which is very close anyway. In my opinion, of course.

The only place I can think of to eat is the Mick Wallace (as in he owns it) place, an Italian cafe. The name escapes me, but it's right beside the Black Lion and it's very nice if small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Bombay Pantry is in Inchicore if you like Indian.

But I'd agree, head into the city centre if you want to eat out, you're just a few minutes walk from the Luas

There is a pub that advertises all pints for 3 euro, decent value I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

stovelid wrote: »
    Personally, other than the bar in The Black Lion, I'd avoid the rest of the pubs and drink in town instead which is very close anyway. In my opinion, of course.

+1
    Bombay Pantry is in Inchicore if you like Indian.

There is a pub that advertises all pints for 3 euro, decent value I suppose

Bombay Pantry is down on James Place ye? Afaik I never seen that place open.

That pub is the Village Inn, next to Paddy Power. If you know what's good for you I wouldn't drink there, regardless of the price of drinks.

That pub is the Village Inn, next to Paddy Power. If you know what's good for you I wouldn't drink there, regardless of the price of drinks.

Seconded.

The Black Lion is the best around there. OK for watching football and not a bad bar but a bit depressing imho.

I wouldn't bother with any of the nearish pubs like The Patriot (Kilmainham) Marble Arch (Drimnagh) or the Inchicore end of Ballyfermot either.

There is a nice little pub called The Royal Oak about 15 minutes walk away in Kilmainham (near The Patriot), but you're virtually in town then anyway.

Bombay Pantry is down on James Place ye? Afaik I never seen that place open.

Not sure of the name of the street, it's behind xtravision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Not sure of the name of the street, it's behind xtravision

Ye I work in Xtravision there and have never seen that Bombay place open and I've been working there 7 months.:D Must be closed down.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

The Bombay Pantry ( I think it's Bombay Cafe by the way, the Bombay Pantry is in Rathmines) is closed down I'm afraid. It opened as a restaurant in a blaze of glory just as the downturn was starting to kick in. (Ithink about 3 years ago). They also did take outs but to be perfectly honest the take out ordering desk was not seperate from the restaurant so it was not nice for anybody to be sitting having a meal when a load of "takeouters would arrive in". Staff were nice but they really could and should have made a better go of things!

Their food was pretty decent in the beginning but they did a major mix up on one of our vegetarian take outs. We got meat :eek:
    Finally they closed up shop just as peole realized they were there. It would have been nice to have a decent Indian in Inchicore :(

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

stovelid wrote: »
    The only place I can think of to eat is the Mick Wallace (as in he owns it) place, an Italian cafe. The name escapes me, but it's right beside the Black Lion and it's very nice if small.

It's called Enoteca Torino. Great food. I'm a big fan of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

Timothy Croughs is a fairly new pub (opened in the last two years). I've been in there once or twice and would go back. Modern decor etc. It seems to be fairly quiet, but you should give them a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭stevensi

I'd be another fan of Enoteca Torino. Just goes to show if the food is done right and at a reasonable rate people will come to it. As for pubs I'd go for the Black Lion as well....a real old style bar and a nice crowd in it. The new bar Timmy Crough's is nice and as previously mentioned has nice modern decor but it's gone a little bit to much a horse racing pub for my liking...horse racing all the tv's but they do an offer of pints at 3.30 which is great value...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

Moved up and its a decent area when you get into in. The black lion is the pick of the bunch. I went into the black horse a couple of times and left feeling sorry for myself.

I need to get work done and I'm based in the house now but looking around for somewhere I can set up a laptop and a few documents for 3 or 4 hours at a time to get a change of scenery. I had a look in the local library but it there are only a couple of tables in the middle of the floor and I couldn't take one up to myself for half the day. Where would be the nearest decent library with suitable work space?

Library is Ballyfermot is very large.
    Get the 78A to Ballyfermot SC.

It's a good library, but the staff and particularly the porter do more chatting and shouting then every library member put together

Shuuush!

which luas stop is ballyfermot?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

The luas doesn't pass through ballyfermot but the nearest stop would be kylemore at the mcdonalds there, although it'd be a bit of a trek walking, bus would be a better option or possibly the mccafe in the mcdonald's at kylemore.

I doubt you'd be noticed in a corner there once you buy a coffee!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

which luas stop is ballyfermot?
    Oh wishful thinking!

The 78A or 79A which stop on Sarsfield Rd will bring you to Ballyfermot

Yiz had me all excited for a brief moment about Bombay Pantry being in Inchicore

Library is Ballyfermot is very large.
    Get the 78A to Ballyfermot SC.

It's a good library, but the staff and particularly the porter do more chatting and shouting then every library member put together

Shuuush!

Sadly this fantastic library has now been closed for a year by DCC.
    It's a bloody disgrace and all just to fix a bleedin leak in the roof. Would they ever get the finger out for feck's sake.
    Do the locals not deserve better????:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Sundew wrote: »
    Sadly this fantastic library has now been closed for a year by DCC.
    It's a bloody disgrace and all just to fix a bleedin leak in the roof. Would they ever get the finger out for feck's sake.
    Do the locals not deserve better????:mad::mad::mad:

It's been moved to the Civic Centre temporarily. Haven't been in it since it moved.

Another vote for 'The Italian' as we call it! Good food, reasonably priced. I live just around the corner and it's my local restaurant. The Black Lion is fine once there's no big sporting game on the telly. Hate the noise! My favourite pub is the 'Old Royal Oak' opposite Kilmainham Garda Station. One of Dublin's best kept secrets! Tiny little place but lovely and quiet. The Hilton Hotel opposite Kilmainham Jail is good for food and drink too. My only gripe is the tables and chairs in the lounge are far too low! The 'Richmond House' opposite St. Michael's Church often have trad music nights if that's your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

Go to a St.Pats football match, great night out as their pub McDowells/Richmond house is usually great craic.

Gary4279 wrote: »
    Go to a St.Pats football match, great night out as their pub McDowells/Richmond house is usually great craic.

Planning on heading out. its out the road where the library is? walking distance? without checking the fixtures what is the best home game pats have in the next month?

Planning on heading out. its out the road where the library is? walking distance? without checking the fixtures what is the best home game pats have in the next month?

Wait for a derby if you can.

If you can wait until September 10th, Shamriock Rovers play them. It would definitely be one of the better fixtures for atmosphere. Also Bohs if they play there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Richmond Park is directly opposite St. Michael's Church on the main road. You can't miss it on match day due to the sheer volume of guards around the area! Best to bus it or walk it as you won't get parking.

It's been moved to the Civic Centre temporarily. Haven't been in it since it moved.

Don't bother going near the Civic centre. This alternative to ballyfermot library is a disgrace. Only a few shelves of books and the choice is limited. Had to go there to return my books last year and couldn't believe how crap it was :mad:

Advertisement