Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeplug to rebroadcast ???

Options
  • 22-06-2010 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭

If i get a Homeplug, can i connect that to a router to rebroadcast my wireless signal ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Yes, you can either plug it into a standard lan port, and disable DHCP on the router so that you only have one network among the devices on both sides of the homeplug bridge. Or if you prefer you can plug it into the wan port such that one side is behind an extra firewall.

Additionally it is possible to get homeplugs with built in wireless cards, just in case you want to remove the extra router.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Knasher wrote: »
    Yes, you can either plug it into a standard lan port, and disable DHCP on the router so that you only have one network among the devices on both sides of the homeplug bridge. Or if you prefer you can plug it into the wan port such that one side is behind an extra firewall.

Additionally it is possible to get homeplugs with built in wireless cards, just in case you want to remove the extra router.

cool.. slightly confused.. but once i know that it can be done, i'll delve a little deeper.

any particular homplugs / routers you'd recommend ?

i currently have a 3g router (aztech http://www.aztech.com/prod_3g_hw550.html) but downstairs coverage is patchy due to size of building

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Well you could get something like this (purely an example, its the first one I found as a pack so you should shop around a bit). If you got something like that, its the only thing you would have to buy. Alternatively I've had a setup of something like this and this (again just random products, but I know that buffalo have a very good reputation so I would recommend that type of router). You could also get an access point instead of a router, but from what I can see you really don't save a lot with an access point but you get extra flexibility with a router.

Lastly when you are setting every thing up, I'd recommend you set the SSID and password of your new wireless network to be the same as your old, but with a different wireless channel. This should allow seamless roaming between the two networks. Additionally if you go the router route, I'd recommend setting it up such that the DHCP on the second router is disabled and that the cable to the homeplug is not plugged into the WAN port but a standard LAN port.

EDIT: Lastly I would recommend that you get the 200Mb products over the 85Mb ones, this is because the 200Mb is the maximum speed, but in reality they will be quite a bit slower. You don't have all that fast an internet connection, so the 85Mb one would be adequate, but if you are ever streaming multimedia you will notice the bottleneck, believe me.

Advertisement