Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is getting the train to Belfast on Saturday?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

How did it go lads?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Bush80 wrote: »
    How did it go lads?

If I am remembering correctly, 56 players, top 8:

1) Blag
    2) Doctor Doom
    3) Redman
    4) Chunkis
    5-8 Ian Mc Tetley Yreval Orim Kanped

Got loads of vids, will upload the final tonight. It's pretty entertaining if I do say so for a fight which involves me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Ian McTetly

Next time you put me into losers Doom, I wanna see that chip sonic boom reflected in your sunglasses! GGs to everyone, it was a tough top 8 for sure. Not quite as tough as groups though. :pac:

Nordies on blast

• Registered Users Posts: 34 roy nelson

chris mc mahon got stuck when his car broke down otherwise he was pretty confident he would take 1st place. he had been working on new moves all week. congrats to everyone else

• Advertisement

roy nelson wrote: »
    chris mc mahon got stuck when his car broke down otherwise he was pretty confident he would take 1st place. he had been working on new moves all week. congrats to everyone else

You the don king to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 roy nelson

yes, i can arrange a signed photo for you

Few comments on the day:

Q con rocked. I have attended quite a few gaming cons in my time in college and none of them, including Gaelcon, could match the level of professionalism on display so thanks alot to the staff. I hope more people can make the effort next year.

Special thanks to Vyze/ Vaughn for sorting out our entries and running such a good tournament, I especially enjoyed the hype megaphone "Brain Doom vs Chunkis... no, hang on, the Communist Red man" :D

There were a few decent undiscovered players there, an extremely tight Viper that was a joy to watch whose name I didn't catch, Kanped's Honda was apparently the match of any in Ireland and Chunkis had a mean ass Vega in his group who he only sneaked by.

There was also this weird thing going on where for the first time I felt like one of the old school SF "gang". There was a clear demarcation between the practiced DS/ Inferno players and the crowd and several times there was appreciate gasps/ applause while we were playing. That was so nice to see, it was like a tiny bit of pay off for all the work.

GG's especially to Redman who I only barely beat in a couple of rounds with sneaky backhands and Blag. It's like a different fight every time we meet.

We need a focal tournament like Q Con down south I think.

something to consider.

Next time you put me into losers Doom, I wanna see that chip sonic boom reflected in your sunglasses! GGs to everyone, it was a tough top 8 for sure. Not quite as tough as groups though. :pac:

You never chip damage glasses rog! you could turn punch or headbutt through it...
    Bush80 wrote: »
    Nordies on blast

Yeah. Next time someone moans about having to travel to Dublin for a tournament ... :D

Lol. Is his real name Farz by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Gratz to Doom for the 2nd place.

Sorry I couldn't properly drop you home. There was actually a really clear signpost for Santry one set of traffic lights up from where I left you :o

Couldn't do a U-turn on that road though with the margin in the middle :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭chris mcmahon

haha these words were never uttered by me as i never even intended on going, and i drive a very reliable car, although looking at the standings i probably should have went, might have been in with a shout for the north.
    was there any girls there dressed as zangief?

when i say rice....you say pea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭chris mcmahon

he had been working on new moves all week.

ken only has one move.......... SHORYUKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you havent seen this video about ken, watch it, f*****g hilarious.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uZWArSOmCc

You never chip damage glasses rog! you could turn punch or headbutt through it...

Yeah you're right, really all I wanna see in that reflection is 'Rog's huge head :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

T'was an alright weekend, I did absolutely bloody pathetic in SF4 though. First match in groups being against Doom didn't do wonders for the old nerves. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

:words:
    Thanks for the words of praise but it was Kyle who really headed up the SSF4 tourney since I wanted to make sure it was in a safe and experienced pair of hands! :)

We ended up with 54 players total after a couple of people dropped out and new people were added in late. We were hella pushed for time and barely finished the final match in time to boot everyone out for the short closing period before the evening slot of the event. Very similar thing happened with Tekken later in the day (38 entrants, totally unexpected!) where we just finished in time for the closing ceremony!

Orim and Kanped, you need names that I can make dumb comments on! :P

Thanks to everyone who showed up and took part, I hope you all had a great time!

T'was an alright weekend, I did absolutely bloody pathetic in SF4 though. First match in groups being against Doom didn't do wonders for the old nerves. :pac:

You got to try to not give a damn who you are fighting. Stick to your game plan and come out fighting (or turtling, in our case.)

Vyze wrote: »
    Thanks for the words of praise but it was Kyle who really headed up the SSF4 tourney since I wanted to make sure it was in a safe and experienced pair of hands! :)

We ended up with 54 players total after a couple of people dropped out and new people were added in late. We were hella pushed for time and barely finished the final match in time to boot everyone out for the short closing period before the evening slot of the event. Very similar thing happened with Tekken later in the day (38 entrants, totally unexpected!) where we just finished in time for the closing ceremony!

Orim and Kanped, you need names that I can make dumb comments on! :P

Thanks to everyone who showed up and took part, I hope you all had a great time!

It was great, and it made me feel all of us who put in an effort to grow fighting games are doing good work.

Final's uploading as we speak.

Grand final is up.

I am told this is a great fight. :)

Gonna repost in the irish vids thread too.

Also, I am still feeling very unwell (I couldn't talk for about an hour after Q-con, I thought it was funny at the time!) So it might be a couple days before I drip more up.

I've never felt a crowd behind me before :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

To the guys that have attended Inferno 9 and Q-Con, how do both events compare in terms of quality of players attending?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

It'd be much more difficult to win at inferno. Mike and Chris(Cobelcog), arguably the two best players weren't at Q-Con as well as other possible contenders like Bush,Azza,Roogle,Hound,Dreddy etc.

Edit:To answer your question,the quality in the groups was very poor IMO, I spotted a few players who looked to have some potential but at the same time there was some bizarre stuff like Orim getting ultra'd from full screen by a Ken,you just can't legislate for that kind of randomness!

The last 8 was of a good calibre though I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Doom and Blag in particular had very easy groups.

Doom had one decent Guile player in his group, but was never going to lose that mirror match and he had someone in his group who may never have played Street Fighter before who was literally just mashing buttons.

My group was quite competitive and Orim had a decent Viper player who we hopefully see again (anyone inform him of the regular DS events?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

It looks like Blag was all over you in the final, Doom. Though you put up one hell of a fight as well yourself.

Doom and Blag in particular had very easy groups.

[HYPE]Myself and blags groups were easier, yeah?

No, we just MADE them look easy. [/HYPE]

In all seriousness the groups were a walkover for me and it was more of an endurance test of 7 fights in a row with different people.

The top 8 felt just as competative as most tournaments I've been in (Inferno 8 being an exception as big names were killed all over the place in that one).

It looks like Blag was all over you in the final, Doom. Though you put up one hell of a fight as well yourself.

Blag plays the perfect anti Guile game. I think I only got 1 boom zoning game going in the whole thing.

I felt I was only getting my defense up when I ran out of time :)

Love fighting blag though, it's a learner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

The thing to remember though is that Q-con isn't primarily a hardcore fighting game gathering, lots of people are just there to cosplay or play Warhammer, etc and just hop into the FG competition for a random bit of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

good fights brian
    just like the real thang

hero-showdown-guile-vs-guile-20090225023751460-000.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

52478471.png

34835863.png

Big props on such a well executed tournament guys, really nice setup with 4 swift lag free TVs, improvised anti-glare tarpaulin, life saving giant fan - with so many people in groups and the time constraints you had to deal with, lesser men would've let it all fall apart, great job.
    Also, for the record, the name's Duignan - Chris Duignan. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

really nice setup with 4 swift lag free TVs,

All other points are correct but those TVs where not lag free. At the least the two closest to the projectors were laggy. Someone was saying that the others were better. They were different brands.

But that's not to take away from a fantastic tournament adn what looked to be a great con. Nothing like watching a final while security tries to kick you out.

I thought they bought lagless monitors up there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

They bought one(?). I don't know where it was but the street fighter comp was held on 4 tvs.

I'm assuming roogle stole the monitor and feld to China. just a guess :pac:

Advertisement