Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tow path Shannon Banks to UL

Options
  • 22-06-2010 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi
    Will be renting a house on the Corbally road soon and have been told that you can walk the tow path from Shannon Banks over to UL,
    How long would this take and would it be safe at night?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's a nice walk. Depends on which part of Corbally you join it. From town where it begins (beside the Absolute Hotel) it takes a good 25 mins walking.

Night time get the bus.

We got an email from the college about a few muggings along the path at the UL side.

mind urself

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

We got an email from the college about a few muggings along the path at the UL side.

mind urself
    While this is totally true, it should be noted that there are not many really safe places in Limerick at night imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Nockz wrote: »
    While this is totally true, it should be noted that there are not many really safe places in Limerick at night imo.

Is that so, would you care to expand on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Clonmel/Tallaght/Tullamore/kyrgistan are much more worser - FACT*

*not necessarily, but I've been living in Limerick 2 years now and feel duty bound to make this contribution to all threads besmirching it's good name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

- No worse than where else

- It's hell out there

- It's lovely place.

- Small minority

Rinse and Repeat, etc etc etc

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Any unlit towpath, in any city, in any country could be dangerous at night.

No point in taking avoidable risk.

Any unlit towpath, in any city, in any country could be dangerous at night.

No point in taking avoidable risk.
    The common sense answer! Rather than the various flavours of anti-limerick, ott-pro-limerick!

langdang wrote: »
    The common sense answer! Rather than the various flavours of anti-limerick, ott-pro-limerick!
    There is a flavour of anti-Limerick because after living here for 12 years I've had to put up with enough **** from the ever growing 'small-minority' of people who make living here a nightmare. Just try and sugar coat it but the fact remains that what I said is completely true. I never said Limerick is worse off than anywhere else. I simply stipulated that there are no real safe places in this city at night. I could go ahead and copy/paste this in pretty much most other city threads on boards if I so wished.

But the sugar coating is what makes these Limerick threads so entertaining! I was just contrasting Henry Fords answer to the usual "Limerick is the worst" vs "only other cities have these problems" answers!

If common sense was applied to all of the criticisms of Limerick even those with the heads stuck furthest in the sand would have to admit Limerick has a unique set of disadvantages/problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Nockz wrote: »
    Roadend wrote: »
    Is that so, would you care to expand on this?

If I had an 18 year old Male or Female Relative who arrived in Limerick to start 1st year at 3rd Level I'd advise them to take precautions after dark just about anywhere...... And for very good reason......

Also I've heard many stories of muggings, robberies and sexual assault on that particular route into Town.

P.S. Buy a cheap and cheerful bike and spend your life studying, making new Friends and going out on the Beer - Far better than spending half your Student life walking (or running for your life [literally])

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Used to cycle it in and out the whole time. Wouldn't recommend for single ladies as there are parts where you could be attacked, and indeed people have been mugged. It is busy during the day. Best bet is to find out if people in your course are coming in the same way - safety in numbers.

Other option is cycle - there is a new road by supervalu you can cycle up there, through Rhebogue and out to UL that way only 20 mins.

wingnut wrote: »
    Other option is cycle - there is a new road by supervalu you can cycle up there, through Rhebogue and out to UL that way only 20 mins.
    This.

It takes 45mins to wal from O'Driscolls pub out to UL and that's if you walk up the Dublin Road instead of going through Rhebogue. I haven't walked home at night though, I either walk home before it gets dark or not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pben

Thanks a mill for advice guys & gals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

hey,
    i hope im not hijacking this thread , im considering moving into Brook Place, Rhebogue this September...I'll be a mature student in UL and this location seems convenient to both the university and the city center..the road along the river to the college seems like an ideal route to the university (looking at the map) however; is this considered 'dodgy' at night? i dunno if i'd let this put me off but some insight would be good..
    if you live in this area are you able to park in the university? (i think i read somewhere if you live within a specific radius i.e. too close, you can not get a parking permit, true?)
    is Rhebogue a decent place to live?
    one more thing...besides daft.ie does anyone know a good resource for finding shared accommodation?

There's nicer places to live and also nicer places to pass through on your commute to and fro.......

Have a look at Annacotty or somewhere in that vicinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

hi,
    annacotti seems a huge distance to the city tho...

Piriz wrote: »
    hi,
    annacotti seems a huge distance to the city tho...

Bus during the day, share a Cab when on the Beer.

- You'll reach your time spent in Limerick City quota quite early - trust me.

Advertisement