Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Work (UCC) V Social Care (CIT)

Options
  • 22-06-2010 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭

I have gotten a place in the Social Work course in UCC, I had an interview in CIT for their Social Care course, and was more or less told, that with my past Fetac results that I would get a place on that.

My dilemma is what to chose:confused: They are both different levels, so I will get an offer of both. I have talked to someone who has just finished her first year in Social Work, and has done very well. She urged me to go ahead with that course, that all the negative stuff we hear about is not going to change unless there is a change in the type of people that qualify in it. Ideally I would like to work with the Disabled or the Elderly but I hear that a certain amount of time must be spent in Child Protection to get any where else in social work. Personally, I do not know if I am tough enough for that, I don't know if I will be able to not let the work affect me on a personal level, my own life experience has left me in no doubt of the failings of the Social Work system. I would like to see a huge change in the whole child protection area, especially in regards to parents who need help, but are too afraid to go to Social services because they fear their children will be taken off them if they reveal their problems. I'm wondering did many social workers go into the area, thinking they could change it all, that they would be different, but found their hands tied by red tape and legalities.....

The Social Care would be much more hands on and one to one, which I would like. I prefer the idea of being more down to earth with people, being less of position of authority and people seeing me as a person not as "a social worker" I have spoken to someone who works as a social care worker with disabled people(who actually happens to be a qualified social worker!!) and she loves her job.....

Has anyone had to make a similar choice to me, does any work in the areas, or know anyone who does. All advice would be greatly appreciated. My dad thinks I'm too soft for Social Work!

(Hope my post makes sense)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Ireland21

Hey lindtee,

I came across your this post that you put up ages ago about Social Work in UCC. Did you end up going on the course?

I have been called for an interview for a place on the Social Work Course in UCC
    at the start of May.

By any chance do you remember what was involed in the section/interview procces? Any tips you could give me would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Congratulations for getting to the interview stage. Yes, I went for the Social Work in the end. Just have 2 more exams to complete and one assignment and I have 2nd year done and dusted :) Its so long ago now that I am kind of foggy around the interview detals but I can pm you the message I sent to someone else last year about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Ireland21

Hey. Thanks very much. :) Cool that is great that you went for it. Are you enjoying it? Is the course good overall? Yeah that would be great if you could pm that message. Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 barriet

lindtee wrote: »
    Congratulations for getting to the interview stage. Yes, I went for the Social Work in the end. Just have 2 more exams to complete and one assignment and I have 2nd year done and dusted :) Its so long ago now that I am kind of foggy around the interview detals but I can pm you the message I sent to someone else last year about it!

Hi, not sure if you are still keeping an eye on this thread but .... Would it be possible to send me the pm also please? I have an interview next thurs.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭liptonvillag

barriet wrote: »
    Hi, not sure if you are still keeping an eye on this thread but .... Would it be possible to send me the pm also please? I have an interview next thurs.

Thank you

How did you get on with the interview ? Any tips of what exactly there looking for ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭liptonvillag

lindtee wrote: »

Any chance you could send me the same reply you sent the guy going for interview. Were all 25 places filled ? is there alot of competition for the places?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Liptonvillage please don't resurrect zombie threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement