Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchasing house/Air traffic information

Options
  • 22-06-2010 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hey all,
    I'm looking into purchasing a house in Cork City (to be precise it is in the Lehenaghmore area). If anyone is living near or in this area i would appreciate it if they could let me know if the flight path (for Cork Airport) experiences heavy/frequent or light/infrequent air traffic? i know this might be a slightly impossible question to ask as direction of flights is very much dependent on wind direction etc but any information or advice is very much welcomed. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Not familiar with the area but aircraft land and take off into the wind, which in Ireland is generally south westerly. So planes approach from the north east and take off to the south west, usually.

Cork airport wouldnt get any heavy aircraft, mostly 737s and A320s or similar sized (for reference all Ryanair planes are 737s).

People can say its very loud or isnt, but why not check the schedule, find the busiest day of the week and park up in the estate and see for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

We live in one of the flight paths to Dublin airport and when we moved in at first we heard planes all the time, now I never notice them. Depends on how close you are of course but like all noise you learn to switch it off in your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Hey all,
    ... let me know if the flight path (for Cork Airport) experiences heavy/frequent or light/infrequent air traffic? ...
    To answer your specific question, Cork Airport had 52,724 aircraft movements (that's a landing or take off to you and me) in 2009 (via Wikipedia). That's 144 per day on average (Dublin had over three times more by comparison). A significant proportion of those would be light aircraft and helicopters rather than airliners. If its like other airports, there'd be more traffic in summer than winter (both airline and light aircraft) and there'd be peak times during the early morning and evening for airline traffic. Probably little or nothing at night. Unusually for Irish airports, Cork's main runway runs north-south (there's also a short east-west runway) so jets, in particular, will nearly always approach or leave along that axis.

I'll leave it to you to decide how light or heavy that is. I am not from the area and haven't lived very near an airport so I'll not comment further.

Advertisement