Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport-Flight path!!!

Options
  • 22-06-2010 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hey all,
    I'm looking into purchasing a house in Cork City (to be precise it is in the Lehenaghmore area). If anyone is living near or in this area i would appreciate it if they could let me know if the flight path (for Cork Airport) experiences heavy/frequent or light/infrequent air traffic? i know this might be a slightly impossible question to ask as direction of flights is very much dependent on wind direction etc but any information or advice is very much welcomed. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Lehenaghmore in Togher, if so planes won't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,287 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

????? Lehenaghmore is under the approach the runway. Cork isn't a a busy airport but if you live in that area there will certainly be so be plane noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Ya there will be , its off to the side of a approach, i live down the hill and you get so used to it you dont even notice it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I live near there, sure you notice them every so often (we don't have a steady stream and I'm at work all day!) but it's not life altering stuff. No being woken up or having to stop conversations til the plane has passed.

I've never been worried one would land on the house or anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

namloc1980 wrote: »
    ????? Lehenaghmore is under the approach the runway. Cork isn't a a busy airport but if you live in that area there will certainly be so be plane noise.

Not really, its a bit too far over.

• Advertisement

It's not. Just over Wilton/Bishopstown is the main approach where 95% of the traffic will fly directly over, and coupled with the topography the houses are a lot closer to the planes there than in Togher and you'd still hardly notice them - barring that one time when that Ryanair flight made headlines and decided he wanted to skim the roof tiles - and besides Cork airport isn't exactly Heathrow.

It's not. Just over Wilton/Bishopstown is the main approach where 95% of the traffic will fly directly over, and coupled with the topography the houses are a lot closer to the planes there than in Togher and you'd still hardly notice them - barring that one time when that Ryanair flight made headlines and decided he wanted to skim the roof tiles - and besides Cork airport isn't exactly Heathrow.

4725812552_0b4511e19a_b.jpg

The flight path passes only a few hundred metres from Lehanaghmore. Got your Geography wrong there a bit.

Got your Geography wrong there a bit.

How is my Geography wrong? The planes do fly directly over Bishopstown/ Wilton - straight over my old school CSN. Even if you're to take the closest point that Lehenaghmore is to the airport "the few hundred metres" distance even offsetting drop in glideslope would still put that area as close to the planes. My point being unless the OP is hyper sensitive, noise shouldn't be an issue.

How is my Geography wrong? The planes do fly directly over Bishopstown/ Wilton - straight over my old school CSN. Even if you're to take the closest point that Lehenaghmore is to the airport "the few hundred metres" distance even offsetting drop in glideslope would still put that area as close to the planes. My point being unless the OP is hyper sensitive, noise shouldn't be an issue.

Look, the planes do fly just off Lehanaghmore at a much lower altitude than they do over Wilton and they do create noise i.e. lower altitude = more noise. I know someone who lives in Lehanaghmore and the planes are quite loud but when you live there for a while you get used to it. 2 people in this thread say they live in the Lehanaghmore area and they confirmed that there is plane noise but that you get used to it! Dismissing it as "not an issue" is incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

To say that 95% of traffic fly's over there is incorrect. It all depends on wind direction. I commute each week through the airport and its around 50/50 at the moment as to which end of the runway we touch down. Sometimes we fly from the Kinslale direction and other times we fly over Bishopstown. Its down to wind direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Lara_Croft.ie

Thanks for all the replies :D
    I think i will just have to become accustomed to the noise and seeing planes in the sky across the housing estate, i'm sure if it was such a problem no one would be living in this estate ;) I work Mon-Fri 9-5.30hrs so it's probably not going to be a huge problem when i'm hardly there! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Is Lehenaghmore not in Wilton, at least thats what an auctioneer t telling me a few years back

Is Lehenaghmore not in Wilton, at least thats what an auctioneer t telling me a few years back

chuckle chuckle, it's in Togher :) Wilton doesn't extend that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

A quick look at the Cork Airport Webpage shows about 30 scheduled departures today.
    http://www.corkairport.com/flight_info/departures.asp
    That indicates 60 aircraft movements per day.
    When the school holidays begin there will be charters. This is still a very quiet airport.

Before you purchase a house you could ask the residents about aircraft noise.

Between 17:25 and 19:35 five planes take off. You could you go for a walk around the area and get a first hand
    experience of aircraft noise and how it effects you.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Lara_Croft.ie

John C wrote: »
    A quick look at the Cork Airport Webpage shows about 30 scheduled departures today.
    http://www.corkairport.com/flight_info/departures.asp
    That indicates 60 aircraft movements per day.
    When the school holidays begin there will be charters. This is still a very quiet airport.

Before you purchase a house you could ask the residents about aircraft noise.

Between 17:25 and 19:35 five planes take off. You could you go for a walk around the area and get a first hand
    experience of aircraft noise and how it effects you.

Thanks John C,
    I've looked into the arrivals and departures already on the Cork Airport website. When i first counted about 50 departures for yesterday i nearly had a freak attack! i thought it was far too much! but then i visited the area again at lunchtime and walked around, got chatting to two residents and they were very helpful. They basically said that the airplanes doesn't affect them nor does the noise (to be honest a plane passed by whilst i was walking around and it was pretty low flying but wasn't very loud for such a large piece of metal!) There is also going to be some compromise when buying a house anyway and to be honest i'd prefer air traffic than live on a busy main road! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭therightangle

Hello

Apologies for digging up an old thread but Id like to know where the flight path map that is in this thread can be got, as it doesnt cover all the city. I tried Cork Airport but they took my name and said they would ask air traffic control to come back to me.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

You could just watch this

http://www.flightradar24.com/51.87,-8.5/13

And see what path the planes follow coming into land/taking off. It is pretty accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Hello

Apologies for digging up an old thread but Id like to know where the flight path map that is in this thread can be got, as it doesnt cover all the city. I tried Cork Airport but they took my name and said they would ask air traffic control to come back to me.

Thanks
    Google Maps and MS Paint I'm guessing... But there's these.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Why dont you go to the house and have a listen?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

My GF lives up towards the top of the hill before the fork in the road and to be honest its noticeable but nothing you dont get used to.

Shes up there her whole life and shes never complained about it, it becomes almost like a background noise that you can easily get used to, in my experience anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

GavRedKing wrote: »
    it becomes almost like a background noise that you can easily get used to, in my experience anyway.

To a degree, I'm in Mahon and directly in line with the prevailing winds and the noise can wake me early in the morning as the rush starts.

It depends on the aircraft, Micheal's Boeing Jets are sort of controlled enough as are Aer Lingus's Airbuses but Stobart's propeller driven ART72's really drone on and are more like WWII Bombers with their straining engines changing pitch and they are really, really loud ans for a LONG time, the jets are off and gone almost before you wake up to quizz what ti is, the prop plane is much slower and louder for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

My GF lives up towards the top of the hill before the fork in the road and to be honest its noticeable but nothing you dont get used to.

Shes up there her whole life and shes never complained about it, it becomes almost like a background noise that you can easily get used to, in my experience anyway.

I live in that same area.

Only thing I find is when the wind is from a Northerly direction, so the planes are taking off over the houses. Seems much more noticeable on Saturday and Sunday mornings, as they start about 6.00am and only ease off when it's time to get up ... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

I live on the flight path at Lee Road and even that far across they are pretty noisy especially the Amsterdam flight taking off at 6.30am every morning which I always seem to hear just before Im supposed to wake up and the ones to the canaries tend to be louder as they much heavier thus needing more thrust.

As Mr.Frisp said you can hear the take offs sometimes early in the mornings even when they are going southerly due to the wind direction sending the sound to the city

Its something you'd get used to after awhile and for me I actually like it as I'm a bit of an AvGeek so Id be dangling to my window watching them fly overhead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Its something you'd get used to after awhile and for me I actually like it as I'm a bit of an AvGeek so Id be dangling to my window watching them fly overhead

Same here..

Love watching them.. Sometimes just park up at the back of the Airport watching them land and taking off.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Red Nissan wrote: »
    To a degree, I'm in Mahon and directly in line with the prevailing winds and the noise can wake me early in the morning as the rush starts.

It depends on the aircraft, Micheal's Boeing Jets are sort of controlled enough as are Aer Lingus's Airbuses but Stobart's propeller driven ART72's really drone on and are more like WWII Bombers with their straining engines changing pitch and they are really, really loud ans for a LONG time, the jets are off and gone almost before you wake up to quizz what ti is, the prop plane is much slower and louder for longer.

Ya, I'm in Mahon too, down by Ringmahon, I can understand what you're saying about the props but I'd have more issue with the general traffic noise from the tunnel than planes but I may not be taking much notice of the props if thats the case :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Ya, I'm in Mahon too, down by Ringmahon, I can understand what you're saying about the props but I'd have more issue with the general traffic noise from the tunnel than planes but I may not be taking much notice of the props if thats the case :)

The tunnel noise IS like a jet engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Live in Wilton, planes go overhead (mostly landing, I have to say, but sometimes they do take off my side), no issue at all.

The family in the apartment above getting up at 5.30 am on Sunday mornings, children included, and behave as if it was 1pm is a different story 'though.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭therightangle

Ludo wrote: »
    You could just watch this

http://www.flightradar24.com/51.87,-8.5/13

And see what path the planes follow coming into land/taking off. It is pretty accurate.

This link is fascinating at so many levels, the info, the number of planes in the air, etc. Never knew this info was out there thanks. Still prefer not to hear them though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

This link is fascinating at so many levels, the info, the number of planes in the air, etc. Never knew this info was out there thanks. Still prefer not to hear them though!

Ah, heresy! There's nothing better than the sound of two CFM56-5Bs at full power to get the day started!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

That link is brilliant I live in Glasheen and love watching the planes going overhead.

Advertisement