Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy Work lunch Ideas

Options
  • 22-06-2010 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

When I was in college, I used to bring soups, stews, curries etc in a soup thermos (you can get them in argos, they have a wider neck and have a little screw on bowl with them) and salads, easy peasy and you can just use leftovers without having to cook again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭albeit

Homemade potato salad with mayo, boiled dices potatoes, some haricot verts(steamed) onions or springonions, cucumbers, anything really that you fancy putting in a salad and goes with potatoes and mayo.salt parsley or other herb to taste. Peas works as well.

No need to heat it at work and keeps well in the fridge.

Something else to try is roasted hazelnuts in a potatosalad with garlic. Yummy! This recipe is from the vegetarian place in wicklow street, cant remember the name.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    When I was in college, I used to bring soups, stews, curries etc in a soup thermos (you can get them in argos, they have a wider neck and have a little screw on bowl with them) and salads, easy peasy and you can just use leftovers without having to cook again.

What Sapsorrow said.

something like the one below would be perfect. 17.99 in Argos, holds .75 liters of fluids (more than enough for a lunch sized portion, really it's two portions!).

Neck is wide enough to eat directly from the thermos but you can use the lid as a bowl if you want.

36-3402148SPA73UC618153X.jpg

Or this. little two piece set, you could use the flask for soups/sauces/whatever and the jar for a strach (rice, mashed spuds, salad potatos, whatever). 22 in argos. they hold .5liters of fluids each.

219-0184407MMA73UC631413M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Soups are prob your best bet alright. And you can make big batches and freeze them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 soapybonbon

Hello!

I'd advise checking out bento lunches! They're an ancient japanese type of lunch! Really, really healthy and a bit of fun and you can buy special bento lunchboxes and acessories!:o They might not suit you, but check it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

If I'm feeling healthy I might do a pasta in a tomato and red pepper sauce with a grilled chicken breast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Asian salads are brilliant - chicken noodle salad or prawn. They eat very well cold - keep any dressing in a separate container and dress the salad from fresh. Great balance of fresh salad veg, protein and light carbs from the noodles.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Faith wrote: »

Thanks for that - some interesting ideas there.
    Great idea for a post.
    Like the idea of bringing previous night's leftovers in to work - especially in the winter months - but sometimes it can feel a little samey to eat the same meal on two consecutive days.
    My frugal lunch earlier in the week was a wrap (using up a six-pack I'd bought 2 weeks before) filled with spinach leaves (going cheap in Tescos after the wkd... plus, the remainder of the bag went into tonight's pasta dinner), pine nuts (from the store cupboard), diced red onion (about 40c), roasted pepper (the 3rd pepper in a 3pk I bought at the weekend) and a punnet of hummus (Tesco had 3pks for €1.39 on Monday).
    Cheap, filling and slightly healthy *smug glow*

• Advertisement
Advertisement