Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Work in OZ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

myhorse wrote: »
    (And I like the fact Abbot looks like he could hit you as quick as talk to you. A bit of Putin about him :D)
    All that Putinesque spin doctoring is not lost on you so. Your probably love those informative Harvey Norman ads too. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭clarelad

anyone know if there are many I.T support roles over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Just my own twopence:

I have about 8 years experience in IT, Multiple-Certified Oracle DBA and SAP Admin

Was out in OZ on a WHV in April

People were interested, but the visa was a problem. There was a preference to employ local (of which there is a large pool of unemployed locals currently) or take a foreigner with P.R. or Sponsorship. The WHV is designed for picking berries, and that's about all the work I could have got with it. Packed it in and moved on after a few weeks of getting nowhere (same experience for my g/f who is an accountant).

Came back home and was in a job within a week, so at least I know it wasnt for lack of skills.

If I was set on moving to OZ, I wouldn't leave Ireland without having secured Sponsorship via an Employment agency or a working migrant visa or P.R. - basically whatever visa entityle you to work permanently in oz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭clarelad

i thought u would have no problem geting sponsored with those skills,i.t jobs must not be as plentiful as i read about unless ur doing software dev there is prob a better chance...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

thewing wrote: »

If I was set on moving to OZ, I wouldn't leave Ireland without having secured Sponsorship via an Employment agency

Although not totally impossible... that is a pretty tough gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

I could have got sponsored through an agency, as long as I earned above a certain level and had certain skills, which I had both

However it was going to cost 3k and I literally only wanted a 3 month contract. I could have made the money back but it wasn't a road I wanted to go down.

As I said, just my two pence. But from what I can see, things aren't quite as rosy in oz as the picture is painted.

I would say Melbourne is faring better than Sydney. No shortage of construction work/ tradeskills etc. as the headlines in the papers read similar to as they did in 2005 here(seems a bubble waiting to burst to me)

The real boom is in WA in the mining, but with the proposed taxing of mining output, it'll be interesting to see the effects.

But to get back on Topic, IT work in Oz is not quite as plentiful as one would hope or expect.

Advertisement