Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My bike was stolen.

• 22-06-2010 10:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, you probably get a ton of these posts a week, but I'd feel terrible if I didn't at least try to recover my bike.

It was locked up outside RCSI York St. in Dublin on the very first rack nearest St. Stephen's Green at 17.30 at 19.30 I returned and noticed it was missing. Spent the next two hours wandering in and out of all the flats around that areas asking anyone and everyone if they'd seen it. I found the basket in a garden, there was a man in the garden who said it had just been thrown over. Some kids playing in the yard of one of the flat blocks said they'd seen a guy cycling a bike of my description in the area. I walked around the area a few times and went around the Kevin St. area too (around Bride St. and Bishop's St.) before reporting it to Kevin St. garda station, then I went to Harcourt Terrace as they cover the RCSI and York St. areas. I'd really appreciate if anyone who lives/works in the area could keep an eye out for a beige B-Twin 7 bike with a canvas-covered suspension spring under the handlebars. May also have a green lizard sticker on the rear mudguard and various yellow/orange and red stickers of butterflies/insects on the frame. The tyres are quite thick, not thin road-bike tyres. The handlebars are straight.

I may have pictures, when I dig them out I'll post them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Sorry to hear that Piste. The bike sounds quite distinctive. Get the photos up ASAP and keep an eye on gumtree and donedeal. You never know.

How was it locked?

DFD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Hmm how do I describe the lock? It was a long steel cable encased in plastic. It was uncut when I went to the bike rack, which leads me to believe I might have accidently missed part of my frame when putting the lock through the rack so it mightn't have been locked on properly.

It is quite distinctive, I got it in France and brought it over so I'm sure there aren't too many in the City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Not much consolation now, but it has been mentioned before:

kryptonite-new-york-3000-u-lock.jpg

or something similar, yer only man for the job!

My friend had his bike stolen the one day he left his kryptonite in college and used a cheaper cable lock. I bought mine 2 years ago for about 80 euro and it has kept my bike safe since and I have left it in some dodgy areas.

Most bike theft is opportunistic, if they see a big dirty lock on your bike they will simply move to the next bike with a little cable lock or 10 euro U lock. It's a case of "not outrunning the bear, just outrunning the next guy". Sad, but true.

I hope you find your bike, and if you do, go and buy a very good lock!

Heh yeah my dad has said he'd buy me a Kryptonite lock if my bike turns up!

3a8hjor

Pic of my bike. Imagine it wirh brightly coloured stickers (red, orange, yellow) and a green lizard on the read mudguard. Also the canvas covering the suspension spring is navy. Other than that, it's the same.

Does anyone know any bike shops in Dublin where my bike may have ended up? Any bike shops regularly get stolen bikes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

There is a place in Parnell St. that's lots of bikes seem to go. It looks like a warehouse outside and it might have a couple of bikes outside too.

Good luck with it, so many bikes are being stolen lately :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Cheap D shaped locks can be opened in seconds using a scaffold bar or the like to lever it. They are brittle.

A guy in my year said he also parked his bikje outside college last week and when he came to unlock it he noticed a big chain had been wrapped around it and locked, so he went into the porter at reception who said he'd put the chain on cos he caught people trying to rob the bike earlier. That spot is lethal.

Advertisement