Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My bike was stolen, please keep an eye out!

Options
  • 22-06-2010 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, you probably get a ton of these posts a week, but I'd feel terrible if I didn't at least try to recover my bike.

It was locked up outside RCSI York St. in Dublin on the very first rack nearest St. Stephen's Green at 17.30 at 19.30 I returned and noticed it was missing. Spent the next two hours wandering in and out of all the flats around that areas asking anyone and everyone if they'd seen it. I found the basket in a garden, there was a man in the garden who said it had just been thrown over. Some kids playing in the yard of one of the flat blocks said they'd seen a guy cycling a bike of my description in the area. I walked around the area a few times and went around the Kevin St. area too (around Bride St. and Bishop's St.) before reporting it to Kevin St. garda station, then I went to Harcourt Terrace as they cover the RCSI and York St. areas. I'd really appreciate if anyone who lives/works in the area could keep an eye out for a beige B-Twin 7 bike with a canvas-covered suspension spring under the handlebars. May also have a green lizard sticker on the rear mudguard and various yellow/orange and red stickers of butterflies/insects on the frame. The tyres are quite thick, not thin road-bike tyres. The handlebars are straight.

I may have pictures, when I dig them out I'll post them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Piste: I hope you get it back.

A few weeks ago I was waiting at the lights at Pearse St Garda St when this young man caught my eye. Dressed like a student. he was struggling to open the lock on "his bike". I looked away and something told me to look again. There he was "by the way" pretending his lock wasn't working. I discreetly watched to see what he was up to and when I was sure that he didn't own the bike. I went into Pearse St Garda St to report him. After been kept waiting at the desk for bleedin 10 mins before a garda came out, she just said thanks they are constantly at it :cool:

When I came out of the station he was walking toward me with 3 "rough unshaven looking guys". I stepped aside as I did not want to make eye contact with them. When they passed I looked behind they went into the Garda Station and I realized they were undercover lads and more then likely had been watching him for a while.......They must have been pretty p**ed off when they saw me loitering and watching the bike thief's antics :o
    The funny thing is so many people passed and did not notice anything going on. Once you stopped to watch what was going on it was obvious the bike was in the proccess of being nicked.
    I've had my bike nicked and it's awful :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Sorry to hear that Piste. I'll keep an eye out. You might want to post in the cycling forum too, the guys on there are great for looking out for people's stolen bikes. Quite a few have been found agan thanks to starting a thread there. Worth a try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Poor Piste!:(Def try in the cycling forum as said above, hope you get it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

did ya try going into RCSI and asking security if they had any cctv covering the bike rack?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I did as soon as I saw it missing, they showed my what the CCTV covers and unfortunately only the bar my bike was at was behind a tree which obscured it, however there's very clear footage of the street beside it so if anyone cycled down on it they'd be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

Post pictures or you've no chance..

Just saying. I've helped 2 people get their bikes back from the cycling forum after they were nicked but no pics = no chance. Sorry and good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Sorry to hear about your bike, Piste. That pistess me off (sorry :p ) that you can't bring your bike into town. Nearly everyone I know who cycles in town have had their bikes stolen at one point (2/3) :o

That bike park thing is a great idea. Hopefully they will make more available around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Sorry to hear about your bike Piste, Ill keep an eye out. This crap is getting way too common :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

sure i was at the bus station before and sum weirdo knicked a saddle of the bike , junkiess these day's , sure hiw much is a saddle worth in all fairness lol

hope u get your bike back op

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Yep, they'd steal anything. when I started college in September we actually got a lesson on proper bike locking because so many bikes were being stolen from campus!

The garda said that you can spot thieves because they carry spare bike wheels around with them :pac:

Scien wrote: »
    Sorry to hear. :(

Do you mind me asking what kind of lock you had on it?
    I just purchased a Kryptonite Mini recently for €40 on Amazon. I feel a lot more at ease when I leave my bike unattended in town since. They are resistant to leverage based attacks and hacksaws.

Also, for those of you that don't visit the Cycling forum, you might not know that there is a Bike Park on the bottom floor of Drury St. Car Park.
    It's free to use and your bike is being watched by cctv throughout the day. Very handy if you're popping into town for a few hours and are looking for a safe place to leave the bike.
    Details here.

It was a B-twin lock I got in Decathalon in France last year. It was a steel cable surrounded by plastic. The worst thing is there's a secure bike park in the college you can only access with college ID, but I was only going to Stephen;s Green across the road, it was daylight and I thought it'd be fine. I'll definitely only use the locked bike park in future.

3a8hjor

Pic of my bike. Imagine it wirh brightly coloured stickers (red, orange, yellow) and a green lizard on the read mudguard. Also the canvas covering the suspension spring is navy. Other than that, it's the same.

Does anyone know any bike shops in Dublin where my bike may have ended up? Any bike shops regularly get stolen bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Sorry to hear of your loss and I hope that you recover your bike.

I work in the area and bike theft has been a huge ongoing problem for many years. Two summers ago, I lost a very expensive bike that I'd had for just 3 weeks from the bike rack on Drury Street. My lock was a very expensive lock (twisted steel cables covered by a metal tubing which was then covered by heavy plastic) yet it didn't prevent the theft. When I came out of my office all that was left was burnt plastic on the ground where I'd locked the bike.

I know for a fact that a lot of the bike thefts in the area are committed by a large gang of kids from the Iveagh Trust buildings. They seem to spend most of the day stealing bikes and mopeds, then in the evenings they go to play snooker in the Youth Club on Coppinger Row opposite the Powerscourt Centre. A few years back if you were on Drury Street after 6 you'd be offered stolen bikes cheaply, but I don't know where they have moved to now.

One day last summer I was walking along South William Street when I saw this skanger go to sit on a bench next to two female tourists. I though that he was about to snatch their handbags so I stopped to keep an eye on him. He opened the backpack that he was carrying and took out a set of bolt cutters from it and cut through the lock on a bike that was locked to the bike rack next to the bench. So I ran across the road and confronted him and took the bike away from him and put it in the basement at my place. Just after six I saw a girl that I knew who worked in Dakota standing at the bike rack looking very confused and upset so I asked her if she'd lost her bike. It was her's and she was very grateful that to get it back.

Wow that was decent of you, lucky that you knew the girl and all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Drury St Car Park

Has free of street bike parking!! Id reccommend it to everyone, I have a very expensive bike and its never been touched, its bright pink so i cant leave it on the st

Sorry to hear about the bike piste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

OP , some dodgy low-life has a yard outside cineworld near bolton street Dublin 1,
    I seen garda raiding his yard a few months ago taking some stolen bikes from the yard, he sells cars and bikes so it could end up in his yard.

My MTB got stolen from the grounds of the mater over a year ago, I bet that scumbag had something got to do with it

Advertisement