Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 30m speed problem Greystones

• 22-06-2010 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hey everyone.
    I just got the above line in here in Charlesland,
    and my speeds are pathetic, doing a test now gives me 6meg.
    There tech support guys say everythings fine but it's clearly not.

Has anyone got similar problems or issues and any sugestions on ways to improve it.
    I also noticed while on the net everything might be ok one minute and the next thing you know, a web page won't load and it's a dns issue..

Thanks in advance..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Wireless I assume.

(That's both a question and your answer if so.)

If the tech said the line is fine, then unless he was lying, that only means the line as far as your modem.
    At least half of newly set up wirless routers need to be fine tuned, as other wireless devices in the area could be interfering.

Check it on a cabled connection, and run the test on http://speedtest.magnet.ie

Also, be aware that seeing as the free wifi modem with UPC is a G router, and more than likely the network card or adapter you're using is also G spec, it's highly unlikely that you'll ever get 30 wirelessly.

There are loads of things that can cause a perfect line to get slow speeds, so you need to check out a few things before calling UPC mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Wireless I assume.

(That's both a question and your answer if so.)

If the tech said the line is fine, then unless he was lying, that only means the line as far as your modem.
    At least half of newly set up wirless routers need to be fine tuned, as other wireless devices in the area could be interfering.

Check it on a cabled connection, and run the test on http://speedtest.magnet.ie

Also, be aware that seeing as the free wifi modem with UPC is a G router, and more than likely the network card or adapter you're using is also G spec, it's highly unlikely that you'll ever get 30 wirelessly.

There are loads of things that can cause a perfect line to get slow speeds, so you need to check out a few things before calling UPC mate.

ive seen people here hit over 12mb on wireless so i doubt it if it is a problem with the wireless connection

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

Ive hit 20-23 once or twice when we where on the phone to tech support

I know wirless will not be as good as wired but to be paying for 30 and been lucky to get 6 is mad..

Just done a test now and she's 18 on wireless.

Surely this is a problem that lies with upc? Why or how can the so called fiber power 30 be so unpredictable?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

It's not a problem with UPC.
    It's something interfering with your wireless signal.

Every house is different and every local is also.
    You might be living in an area where there are 7 or 8 different wireless devices broadcasting in range of your router, and any one (or more) of them can cause your speeds to drop.
    It's just the way that wireless works, and this is the same for every kind of router, and every broadband service provider.

The most basic problem is that there is probably another wireless device in range of your router, broadcasting on the same wireless channel.

It can be anything from one of your neighbours wireless routers, to a baby monitor and anything inbetween.
    All these devices broadcast on the 2.4GHz frequency so are suceptible to interfering with each other.

I'm not saying that you won't be able to get a steady (and much higher) speed through the wireless, simply that your network will have to be adjusted so it suits your local.

You need to make sure of a few things is all.
    22-23 is about the best you'll get on wireless, but you do kinda need to work to maintain that sometimes.

I live in an apartment, and have the 20MB package.
    I get 19MB on my wireless connection but I tend to troubleshoot my wireless every week or so, as there are just so many other devices in the apartments around me.

First however you need to test your speeds on the cabled connection like I said.
    This will show whether it's a line issue, or a wireless issue.

If you are getting constant speeds in the high 20's (27-30) on a cabled connection then it's simply about adjusting your wireless network.
    If you are still getting slow speeds on the cable however, then it's going to be a problem with the connection.

From the way you describe it, it seems like 10-15 mins of troubleshooting should sort out your problem straight away.

Advertisement