Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Games you played on long journeys as a kid

• 22-06-2010 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

We’re hoping to find out about what you used to do as kids in the back of your parents car when you were going on long journeys, what you used to sing and what albums your folks used to make you listen to. Even if it was Daniel O’ Donnell and you now know all of the words on account of your mam or dad playing a tape continuosly in the car - go on admit it, you used to sing along didn’t you?

Did you use to play games of punch your brother in the arm, yellow reg, sixer and taxi or anything else.

Aswell as that we are hoping to find out about how reliable or unreliable your car is. Or even tell us about the most reliable and unreliable car you ever had – please let us know make model and year of the cars you have in mind.

Next week on the biker section of the show we're hoping to get stories as to why bikers do what they do. Why in rain, hail, sleet snow does a biker still go out?

What is it about biking that makes you go for a ride without a destination in mind?

Also, we'll be looking for any general biking stories - about breakdowns, funny scenarios, road rage, bikers code, anything you want to let us know.

If your interested our email is motormouth@newstalk.ie or you can post some stories here.

Ádh Mór,
    Daragh

PS; I posted this in the sticky aswell.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

link up tetris games on our gameboys.. we could hardly play hide and seek, spot the dog, spot the cat lol

My Dad was fond of the Synthesizer albums, we all loved them and who didn't really back in the 80's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

We never played yellow reg as we live 5 mins from Tyrone, Armagh and Fermanagh!!

We did play things like I spy though etc.. Nowadays we prefer playing the playstation / DVD!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

We used to have these books that had a list of things you would see - cows, roadsigns etc. It worked like Bingo and you had to be first to tick off all the items. There was always three of us in the back of the car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

70s/80s car trips, with a backing track of the Beach Boys or John Denver (I still know all the words to "High" Calypso to this day, and only just discovered this second that the word "high" never appears in it)

I spy, with my little eye, something beginning with.... "C".
    Clouds? No
    Crane? No
    pause
    Cars? No
    Cassette? No
    pause
    Container? No

10 miles later

We give up.
    Cumulonimbus!
    I said clouds!
    Well, I was thinking of cumulonimbus, so clouds was wrong. I win. Oww!

2 miles of whining/arguing later the voice from the front threatens to stop the car right here and turn around.

Fun times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

Youngest kid lying on the back seat. Four others sitting on the back seat in front of her. Pinching and hitting until someone got bashed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Motor Mouth: Daragh

The album my mam used to play all of the time was Graceland - Paul Simon, it's still one of my favourite albums.

The folks liked a bit of Van Morrisson in the car too.

Dad used to have Clifford T Ward, Charlie Lanseborough and a few trad and Irish music tapes, I knew all the words by heart.

We used to play yellow reg, eye spy and when I was younger I used to pretend the bag of the seat in front of me was a computer - don;t ask.

We also used to have a whole in the bottom of the back of the car and we used to see what we could throw out it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

TopTrumps. :D

jmbkay wrote: »
    Youngest kid lying on the back seat. Four others sitting on the back seat in front of her. Pinching and hitting until someone got bashed!

Brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

We had a hole in the floor of one car. Great for long journeys as toilet breaks weren't necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jennyfer

We listened to Roy Orbison if my Dad got his way and Cliff Richard if my Mam got hers! And Sunshine FM if me and my brother got ours :D

We played I Spy or Guess the colour of the next oncoming car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

For reliable cars, I've got an '06 Citroen parked outside with 212000km on the clock thats never left me stranded, or even done anything particularly odd electrically, despite the brands reputation....

I have breakdown cover but the number was lost on the disc holder two windscreen replacements ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

A game I loved to play was dodging clatters across bare legs with my mothers hairbrush as she swung at us from the front passenger seat. All of us usually ended up loosing...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Waving at the Car Behind until they got Really Pissed off and when on a School Trip on the bus Giving the Finger :rolleyes:

MYOB wrote: »
    For reliable cars, I've got an '06 Citroen parked outside with 212000km on the clock thats never left me stranded, or even done anything particularly odd electrically, despite the brands reputation....

I have breakdown cover but the number was lost on the disc holder two windscreen replacements ago!

Sounds great - anymore reliable cars like this?

Waving at the Car Behind until they got Really Pissed off and when on a School Trip on the bus Giving the Finger :rolleyes:

We used to do that too.

About 5 years ago myself and my brother were driving to Rathfarnham and a couple of kids in the car in front kept waving at us and making faces. We thought this was hilarious so we started egging them on by giving them the fingers. At the next set of traffic lights the mam got out of the car, approached us and said in the naggiest of tones "I'm going to report you to the Gardaí". As you can imagine we went into hiding for several weeks after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭uncle-mofo

Haha, that reminds me, a bus load of us were up in Dublin for the day (something to do with transition year), driving past a respectful girls school giving the "wanker" sign. I'll never forget the look of absolute horror on the girls faces!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Dodge the Headlight:

You see a car coming with headlights on (night time, obviously..), and duck down behind the front seats - we're standing behind them........ First person to come back up, but AFTER the car with lights had passed (otherwise it had 'got you'), wins.

I hasten to add, this was in pre-seatbelt, pre-booster seat days.......

Or, lying down on the back seat, on the long spin from Dublin to Limerick, usually having woken up, looking up at the streetlights/sky, feeling the car move around, say hills or junctions, and listening to the indicators ticking, maybe the headlight dipswitch clicking as well etc, and trying to work out where you were, without getting up to look out..........

Again, seatbelts/boosters/Nintendo/DVD/cupholders/ render all these things impossible, now...........sigh.......

oh yeah, Johnny Cash, Rock Island Line, on 8-track is the sound I remember........... :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

During night time driving we used to play guess the car make & model from the headlights of the car coming towards us.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Not great but for some reason (when heading down to West Cork from Dublin) myself and my siblings would have a game as to who would see the Rock of Cashel first.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭podgee

I can't recall the games we played as kids, but my kids currently play a few games to while away the boredom:

1. Mini Cooper - whenever they see one they have to shout the 'Mini Cooper' and the colour (there was a bit of cheating going on so we had to vary the rules to include colour!)

2. Spot the convertible (when the Celtic Tiger was roaring)

3. I-spy - problem with this one is that the 3 year old doesn't know her alphabet - so when it's her turn she'll pick say 'H' and we'll eventually give up having guessed 'Hedge' etc. to be told it was 'Princess' - bless.

I'm sure all the non parents are scratching their collective heads at the above - but if you are a parent you'll understand 3. above !

P

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    Dodge the Headlight:

Or, lying down on the back seat, on the long spin from Dublin to Limerick, usually having woken up, looking up at the streetlights/sky, feeling the car move around, say hills or junctions, and listening to the indicators ticking, maybe the headlight dipswitch clicking as well etc, and trying to work out where you were, without getting up to look out.......... :)

Ha, I used to do this to - especially on everyday trips with my dad! And I used to get it right alot of the time too.

With regards music, when I turned a little older and when I had some radio rights in the car I used to always play Appetite for Destruction, much to the annoyance of my folks.

As with regards to reliable cars, myself and a couple of friends baught a 1986 Datsun Prairie together which brought us all around Australia. The brakes went on it one day as we were pulling up to traffic lights beside a cop car in some town in the back arse of nowhere. For some reason they didn't bother pulling us over.

Other than the brake incident the only time the car let us down was when we were selling it on - we ran out of petrol on our way to the buyer!

Ohhh

A game I play now is beep the horn and wave or give the fingers to randomers. It's hilarious to see them about to wave back and then the look of shock in their faces. Anyone else do this?

Or even, has anyone else had this done to them?

Another one is asking someone for directions and slowly winding up the window as they are trying to tell you where to go - or even just driving off mid conversation. I did that one years ago - don't think I have the balls to do it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Used to do that back in college with 4 lads in the car. The driver would beep and we'd all wave at some randomer. Because so many people were waving, the stranger would always wave back before they knew who it was. :)

The funniest bit was when you got some cocky lad walking and he'd give a real cool wave back, only to realise he'd no idea who it was... :D

We'll be looking at this topic on Motor Mouth tonight - so if there are anymore stories let me know - I'd really like to hear about reliable car or really unreliable car stories aswell.

We'll be on between 10 and midnight as always on Newstalk.

Ádh Mór,
    Daragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Often played with meself :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Ohhh

A game I play now is beep the horn and wave or give the fingers to randomers. It's hilarious to see them about to wave back and then the look of shock in their faces. Anyone else do this?

I do this a lot

As far as reliable cars go the most reliable Company Car I had was a 2002 VW Golf(1.9 TDI), did huge mileage and it never once gave a problem. One of the other lads wrote it off though :(

I've had numerous other company cars and they all gave problems, the two worst being a 2006 Ford Focus (1.8 TDCI), numerous issues and a 2005 Laguna (1.9 DCi) The Laguna was a complete pos and I had it from nearly new

Advertisement