Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

biting rat,

Options
  • 22-06-2010 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

I have a female rat, I know rats are best kept not alone, but this rat has "issues" with other rats and after many attempts I learned she's just happier alone.

However she has developed a recent taste of flesh, esp. mine! I'm looking for ways to train her not to, I've heard spraying a mist of water in her face directly after she bites might work, but well she behaves well then randomly bites and by the time I get the bottle I'm afraid it'll just seem like a ramdom mist with no relation to the bite. I hope that makes sense!

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

i dont really have any suggestion other than suggesting you check out this site http://irishrat.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=behave They are very helpfull.
    It maybe a social thing????
    hope you find an answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Delicate_Dlite

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Zoundz

I certanily wouldn't spray her, it's likely to make her nervous aggressive. It can be very hard to sort these problems out, because it can be hard to work out the source of the problem. If it's sudden onset, she may be injured, hurt or ill. She could be becoming territorial, and wanting you out of her territory, or it could be fear. I think the best way is to build quiet, confident trust with her. You need to not be scared, as she'll pick up on that, and it could cause her to bite. Be firm, and gentle, and perhaps use a pouch, or an old pillowcase to let her sit in while you stroke her, as it may help her feel more comfortable and safe.

xx

Advertisement