Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non Assos Chamois cream on Assos Chamois

• 22-06-2010 11:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

Just in case you are one of us who swear by Assos shorts & cream and run out of chamois cream BEWARE ! My LBS doesn't carry Assos so I got some Nalini ' Relief " ( Babelfish translation no doubt :D ), used it on a spin, result, it fecking bleached the blue fabric on the Assos chamois.

So I thought ' Boll!x to that ' and got some Elite Protect ( which oddly enough costs more than Assos cream ) and went for a spin with my other Assos shorts ( DOH :mad: ) and it f&@king bleached the chamois again !! :mad:

So now I've 2 Assos shorts with white bleach marks after spending €28 on crap chamois creams.

Moral of the story, if using Assos shorts ... use Assos chamois cream, unless you like the ' snow washed ' 80's look on your chamois.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

My Assos shorts are suffering from terrible wear patches on the inside of each leg after 3 (long) rides. I'm not impressed, I have shorts that cost a lot less and have had no such issue and my riding style hasn't changed in the mean time.

They are quite comfy though, I just hope they last. I wash them in a delicate wash and in their stupid little bag (which seems to make them harder to wash).

I'm pretty sure I used udderly smooth with them, no bleaching issues. I'm not sure why a discoloured chamois would worry you though, who is going to see it? Is it for resale value? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Heh, ya smart git !! :D

' No ' is the answer of course, but its annoying after 2 years of constant use without any problems at all, they still look like bloody new, except not on the inside anymore :rolleyes:

Dont know why you have wear patches on yours shorts, I've put a good bit of mileage on mine without any signs of wear, anywhere near Velcro ?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Murph100 wrote: »
    except not on the inside anymore :rolleyes:
    It's just the inside of your shorts that are stained? :rolleyes:

Well after one ride on each short its just the chamois, use it some more and it aint gonna look so good when I've white boll!x marks on the outside ! :)

It's just the inside of your shorts that are stained? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Murph100 wrote: »
    Dont know why you have wear patches on yours shorts, I've put a good bit of mileage on mine without any signs of wear, anywhere near Velcro ?

Nope, I've had gloves stick to shorts before but these are always kept in their little bag. The fact they are on the same place on each leg suggests to me that it's just my beefy thighs (yeah right) rubbing off the saddle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

assos chamoix [mine anyway] dont need chammy cream, the cream is for the inside of your thighs and sit bones, applied to the skin and not the chammy ;)
    Nalini and other chammys are the other way round, hence the cream being called 'relief!' cream. Assos chammy are like gloves why use chammy cream on them :confused:

WTF ?? :confused:

Nah, Assos only make Chamois cream for the laugh, and only mention it on their website as ' a must, dont leave home without it ' out of pure scutting.

Fairplay to ya, if you can put chamois creme on your sitbones and not get it on your chamois, do many people ask why your shorts are on inside out ? :)

me@ucd wrote: »
    assos chamoix [mine anyway] dont need chammy cream, the cream is for the inside of your thighs and sit bones, applied to the skin and not the chammy ;)
    Nalini and other chammys are the other way round, hence the cream being called 'relief!' cream. Assos chammy are like gloves why use chammy cream on them :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

FWIW I've stopped using chamois cream regardless of shorts choice and haven't experienced any problems up to 5 hours on the saddle.

It might be worth experimenting with kicking the habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Lumen wrote: »
    FWIW I've stopped using chamois cream regardless of shorts choice and haven't experienced any problems up to 5 hours on the saddle.

It might be worth experimenting with kicking the habit.

Agree. I now use cream only when raining. I find that hours of wet chamois can lead to irritations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Never used Chamois cream, don't understand the point of 'investing' 100+ in a pair of assos and then having to apply cream so you butt doesn't hurt.

Mainly use Nalini shorts and never had a problem.

• Advertisement

Typical ! Especially now that I've tons of the stuff on the way, not to mention the Nalini and Elite tubes. :rolleyes:

Right I'll give it a bash, be curious to see if that persistent saddle sore actually goes without the chamois cream, may well have been causing it all along.

me@ucd : I might well be groveling for forgiveness yet ! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Didn't cycling weekly give assos cream the thumbs up awhile back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Forget about the chamois, I'd be more concerned about applying anything with bleaching properties to that area - aside from the danger of skin irritation there's the collar-and-cuffs issue. Then again, Elite might be more expensive than Assos chamois cream but it's probably cheaper than anal bleaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Didn't cycling weekly give assos cream the thumbs up awhile back?

Thumbs up? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

niceonetom wrote: »
    <snip>Elite might be more expensive than Assos chamois cream but it's probably cheaper than anal bleaching.

Yes, 'probably' ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Lumen wrote: »
    Thumbs up? :eek:

I thought they did?.......oh.......oh.... I see what you did there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The point at which the stuff is needed varies with different people but I think it will come to anyone if you cycle for long enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I understand the thinking and marketing behind the cream, but find it hard to understand how anybody can spend €100+ on shorts and then have the same company sell them overpriced cream because on long rides the shorts will be sore!!!!

Why not buy a 'normal' pair of shorts (Nalini etc) for half the price, and with the savings you can buy all the cream you'll ever need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Be nice to your nuts.
    The idea behind certain chamois creams is to prevent bacterial build-up.
    Similar to putting sudocream on a nappied kids ass.
    The quality of shorts can help, but some people just get saddle sores due to friction, sweat bacteria whatever.
    Some folk however just like rubbing stuff on their nutz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Good shorts and the cream are complimentary. The point at which I need the cream is at about 450km; I use it on multi day cycles where I am doing long distances (150km+) each day. I don't use it on day cycles of whatever length. First time I used it was the Tour of Ireland last year. If you think you don't need it you just haven't cycled far enough yet. However good your shorts are if you are doing 7-10 hours a day for a week I think just about anyone will benefit from the stuff.

Besides the antibacterial issue mentioned it has a lubricant effect that prevents chafing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement