Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First taste of underwater photography

• 22-06-2010 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Took about 50+ shots but most were crap except for a few of these which were ok. What you guys think? Its so much harder than it looks underwater!! Being pushed around like nothing on earth and the jellyfish too. It was hard to keep them in the frame let alone frame them properly;)

Click the picture to go to the other few:)

0059B9954ED44798AE1015EDC0BE4E3C.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I've tried underwater ... its extremely different to land photos.

brilliant pic - did you do a white balance ...what depth were you ?.... strange the light coming from above ...is it upsidedown ? did you use strobes ?

Whats your setup like ? I have a 5D and underwater housing and strobe...and just got a fujifilm P&S and housing (ebay).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Damn you for getting my hopes up, I read the title as "First taste of underwear photography" :mad:

Love the shot though!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

Damn you for getting my hopes up, I read the title as "First taste of underwear photography" :mad:

Love the shot though!

ha ha i wish:)

pcphoto, just a regular olympus 5050 with the underwater housing and snorkeling depth i.e. not deep at all:) no think its looking down on the jellyfish not sure if thats my shadow there at the bottom but i agree the beams of light look weird! it was a really sunny day and i only did a autolevels in photoshop - not sure if that alters the white balance at all:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

The colours look a little washed out.

Sorry couldnt resist, obviously im kidding.

Fair play, I would also like to know what kit and housing you used and how were you not scared being so close to jellyfish? I think you should up the contrast some on these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Like PCphoto said - the glare is very strange. It is very hard, the underwater photography. Your most important skills to master are custom white balance, strobes/flash are a neccessity and train on your buoyance. A steady hand underwater is perhaps the hardest bit :o

I like the jelly - it's a good start. You will find though that you will notice improvement very quickly if you keep at it (or so my diving friends tell me) and keep on practising your neutral buoyancy untill you master it like a fine art!

Keep up the good work and do show us when you try again!

• Advertisement

The colours look a little washed out.

Sorry couldnt resist, obviously im kidding.

Fair play, I would also like to know what kit and housing you used and how were you not scared being so close to jellyfish? I think you should up the contrast some on these.

the camera is an olympus 5050 and the housing is the genuine pt-015 housing for it:) i'll mess with the contrast a bit and see what happens - don't really know what i'm doing though to be honest!

and snarah yeah i found it awful hard to keep the jellyfish in the frame and they were slow jellyfish whatever about fish or the like:) can you alter the white balance after the shot is taken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

foto-joe is the guy to talk to ....does some great underwater pics.

should try and get an underwater meet going sometime...lol... have to practice my buoyancy and go underwater a couple of more times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

breadbin wrote: »
    the camera is an olympus 5050 and the housing is the genuine pt-015 housing for it:) i'll mess with the contrast a bit and see what happens - don't really know what i'm doing though to be honest!

and snarah yeah i found it awful hard to keep the jellyfish in the frame and they were slow jellyfish whatever about fish or the like:) can you alter the white balance after the shot is taken?

Dammit - getting caught out with a question I should know the answer to :rolleyes:, um, yeah, if you shoot RAW I think you can? (Am I correct fellow boardies?)

FotoJoe is definitly your man, also, the lads over in the diving forum (under the sports section) post pics regulary and do discuss settings and all, so they might be able to give you some good advice too.

I find snorkelling is even harder in regards to photography, compared to actual diving, as you have less freedom of getting close to your little fishie creatures and are more subject to waves so less control of steadyness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

PCPhoto wrote: »
    ... I have a 5D and underwater housing and strobe....

Really? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Wahoo - more underwater photographs for boards.ie! :D

Firstly you're really jumping in at the deep end - photographing Jellyfish is tricky as they're usually constantly swaying in the swell and the autofocus can have problems locking onto the semi-transparent body.

Snorkeling down to get the shot also makes it harder as you're very limited in time and unless you're wearing a weight belt it's hard to get steady without floating back up. Maybe give shallow water in which you can kneel a go, in around rocks. I can't recommend Carraroe in Galway enough for this as the "coral" doesn't kick up and there's lots of life.

Have you dived? If you're into underwater photography I'd say you'd love diving!

PCPhoto wrote: »
    I have a 5D and underwater housing and strobe...

PCPhoto I'd love to see some photos from this, I hope it's not gathering dust! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kerryphoto

Nice shot!

foto joe wrote: »
    Wahoo - more underwater photographs for boards.ie! :D

Firstly you're really jumping in at the deep end - photographing Jellyfish is tricky as they're usually constantly swaying in the swell and the autofocus can have problems locking onto the semi-transparent body.

Snorkeling down to get the shot also makes it harder as you're very limited in time and unless you're wearing a weight belt it's hard to get steady without floating back up. Maybe give shallow water in which you can kneel a go, in around rocks. I can't recommend Carraroe in Galway enough for this as the "coral" doesn't kick up and there's lots of life.

Have you dived? If you're into underwater photography I'd say you'd love diving!

PCPhoto I'd love to see some photos from this, I hope it's not gathering dust! :p

no i havent' dived but i know i'd love it. i really didn't want to get out of the water the other day just felt fantastic looking at stuff. then trying to go deeper and forgetting you had to breathe ha ha:) its just a question about budget now for diving lessons:~.

i might pop down to carraroe over the summer so if its as good as you say it is:) cos yeah the water i was in was pretty deep and in and around the rocks which made everything bounce around all over the place:)

sure when i'm heading down i'll give you a shout:)

Do, as a taster for Carraroe, these were all taken there in the last few months: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36224551@N04/sets/72157623196281395/

If you're in college or an alumni of a college you could probably learn to dive through them for free, just buy your wetsuit, fins, snorkle and weight belt.... that's how I did it! ;)

Do, as a taster for Carraroe, these were all taken there in the last few months: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36224551@N04/sets/72157623196281395/

If you're in college or an alumni of a college you could probably learn to dive through them for free, just buy your wetsuit, fins, snorkle and weight belt.... that's how I did it! ;)

i am in college how do i do that? does there have to be a diving club cos i don't think there is:( there is an outdoor ed course but so might be somehting to do with that?

saw them pictures before and love them, sort of inspired me to go bout getting the underwater housing in the first place:)

Well yeah the college needs a diving Club. I saw you're in mayo so thought possibly GMIT... in which case you could join the NUIG/GMIT SubAqua Club!

Check out diving clubs near you: http://cft.ie/clubs.htm
    With the CFT system (as opposed to PADI) you don't pay for the tuition, course material or training. There's an annual membership (€50 students, €100 full) which is your dive insurance. A non college club will have a membership fee (around €300) to cover their costs, clubhouse, compressor, fuel, rib etc. Also with most non college clubs you need to get your gear (tanks, bcd and reg) too I think, not sure if they've gear to get you started.

Might even work out cheaper to register for some part time evening course in GMIT and become a registered student! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I miss diving :(

sineadw wrote: »
    I miss diving :(

aw:( how come?

thanks fotojoe, the college club is probably the way forward methinks:) yeah am in gmit cbar so might see if there is one here but if not i'll have a look into the galway one:)

If you're a GMIT student then you're eligible to join the NUIG/GMIT SubAqua Club.... the club I'm in! Might even be your training officer come September! :p

The training for new members starts again in September, all the lectures and pool training takes place on Wednesday nights in NUIG & NUIG Kingfisher. And the club has all the expensive gear (tanks, bcd, regulator)... you just get fins, mask, snorkel, weightbelt and semi-dry. Lectures and training is free. Membership is however €2 for the year so you'll need to budget that in. ;)

If you're a GMIT student then you're eligible to join the NUIG/GMIT SubAqua Club.... the club I'm in! Might even be your training officer come September! :p

The training for new members starts again in September, all the lectures and pool training takes place on Wednesday nights in NUIG & NUIG Kingfisher. And the club has all the expensive gear (tanks, bcd, regulator)... you just get fins, mask, snorkel, weightbelt and semi-dry. Lectures and training is free. Membership is however €2 for the year so you'll need to budget that in. ;)

just as well you told me now i can start saving;) cool can't wait:)

Advertisement