Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Packet Loss Question (UPC 10Mb in Dublin 9 area)

• 22-06-2010 11:27pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

(usual caveats apply - apologies if this has been brought up elsewhere, but some searching revealed nothing).

What's the typical packet loss rate for a broadband connection here?
    I ask because after several days of pings intermittently sky-rocketing during games (so a normal rate of 20ms jumps to 500ms for a few seconds every minute or so), I ran ping plotter and found I was losing about 40% - 60% of packets at a certain hop (see below):

That 188.141.126.193 address below is a UPC addy, so I'm wondering a ) if this is typical / acceptable - I note no other hop's dropping packets or b ) whether anyone else is experiencing this? If it persists into the week I will contact UPC but we all know how successful that can be.

220610_2310.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

You would be better off using Irish sites such as www.rte.ie or www.heanet.ie for you tests and definitley not Google as they have servers all over the world hosting their engine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I did just that - tried rte.ie and the traceroute still goes past that 188.141.126.193 hop, with the same result - about 40%-60% packet loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Looks like a problem with one of their internal nodes one hop away before leaving their network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

On upc 10meg in d9 and having the same problem, getting in between 40 - 60% packet loss from 188.141.126.193

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Right, well if it's still bad tonight when I get back an email will be sent, possibly CC'ed to comreg.

I'll include the traceroute screenshots so they can't completely bluff me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭dylanpp

great you guys having the same problem as me. I hope you have called into tech support. I have called in once a week for the last 4 weeks - each time they say they will call me back. (I havent received 1 callback)

This problem started about 2 months ago and makes play cs very difficult indeed.

read this short forum post - it describes my/our problem and you can clearly see the affected server node; 188.141.126.193

http://www.thesgl.com/forums/topic/461499/

It is not packet loss by the way. I'm not sure what the problem is.

I am ringing them early 2moro and will let them know again, others are having the problem and not just to my exchange.

I JUST WANT TO GO TO DISNEYLAND.

PS i need this fixed 2moro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 technonerd

Maybe it's when the fiber runs out and hits the coaxial cable that is causing it...lol ;) Bottleneck! ;)
    Ohh and then there is the issue of your upload speed!

Emailed them last night, sending some screenshots along with as proof, so we'll see what response I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nargler

Hi pixelburp,

If look at the ping plotter graph you can see the packet loss is only at the 3 hop but none after. I'm on UPC myself and was investigating some tcp session disruption issues which have since gone away. But using mtr under linux I saw a similar pattern (cept the packet eater was 188.141.126.209) with packet loss on average of 20%.

I suspect this host either has ICMP rate limiting or similar shaping out ping/trace traffic leading to packet loss being reported. Why else would pinging result in no packet loss I figured. Just install ping plotter myself, it's reporting 30% loss consistently at the moment. Also ran pingpath which reported no loss! :confused:

Let us know if they get back to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭kristok 2

great upc network is messed up again im getting sick of this had months of disconnecting finally starts working and now today when im going to run it at full blast getting timouts all time, honestly whats the point of being with them ive never had this much hassle and ive been with most isps at this stage :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

Guys, you should also understand that most routers will deprioritise ICMP when they're loaded.
    The fact that your packetloss to the endpoint is 0, means you're not actually dropping anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭dylanpp

I've rang in about 30 times about this. Everytime I'm promised a call back and am told it's under investigation.

I've never been called back.

daffy_duc the problem is 100% on UPCs network - nothing to do with routers. I wasn't able to go to disneyland because of this and now it's going to cost me money.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

have any of you turned off the firewall on the router this solved my packet loss probs and many others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Sorry to drag this up again but...

Same issue. 8mb in galway.

Ran pingplotter and it's always hop 3 that its losing packets on. Already tried turning of router firewalls...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

did you disable IP FLOOD DETECTION ?this can also cause a huge amount of packet loss

jay93 wrote: »
    did you disable IP FLOOD DETECTION ?this can also cause a huge amount of packet loss

Looked through every setting on the router and can't see that...any pointers for where to look? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Ongoing issue in D9. They know about it and can't be bothered to fix it.

fairly sure i mentioned galway somewhere :P

(Log into the modem, go into Setup, go to Firewall, click on options, it's the second option from the bottom).

If it's on, turn it off.
    Should make a difference straight away.

this is how to disable the ip flood detection if you havn't done so already:)

Bump
    Anyone with UPC able to help out challengemaster here?
    as to how to disable that flood detection on the cisco?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Bump

Are you still there?

192.168.1.1 copy and paste that number into your browser address bar to log into the modem.

He needs to turn off the firewall or flood control or something the manual is here click on the link.

http://www.upc.ie/pdf/4755_UPC_WiFi_Brochure.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Bump
    maybe i'm living in a parallel universe or something, but didn't you just tell him how to do it?

not trying to be confrontational or anything (I'm genuinely asking the question) but if he hasn't responded yet to the clear instructions that you've already given on how to do it, whats the point in you asking others to help him out? :confused:

Problem with that is, there's no cisco router. There's a netgear WGR614v9

vibe666 wrote: »
    maybe i'm living in a parallel universe or something, but didn't you just tell him how to do it?

not trying to be confrontational or anything (I'm genuinely asking the question) but if he hasn't responded yet to the clear instructions that you've already given on how to do it, whats the point in you asking others to help him out? :confused:

sorry but i asked for other help as i wasnt sure if what i suggested would actually work but now ive found out he doesnt have a cisco .would there be any other reason for packet loss on the connection..
    the only packet loss on upc that i have read about on boards seemed to be caused by the cisco router .doesn't seem to be the case this time tough:)

Problem with that is, there's no cisco router. There's a netgear WGR614v9
    aha, that's a different kettle of fish then.

can you try connecting a PC directly to your modem without the router and check again for packet loss to remove that from the equation?

if you're still getting it then you're going to have to get UPC to do some testing on the line to see if they can see it from their end and figure out what the story is.

I ran pingplotter and it showed 109.255.253.81 (internal UPC network) to be the hop losing all my packets...

i just installed pingplotter to test it myself to compare it to yours and although i get slightly different IP's on my hops, i've tried several different addresses and haven't gotten any packet loss at all, so i think you're gonna need to call UPC and ask them to look into it.

Advertisement