Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Insurance

Options
  • 22-06-2010 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

Hey

I just got my home insurance renewal quote and I know it's extremely high

@ €700 for a 4 bed semi 1360 square feet has anyone got a rough idea

on working out how much I should be paying approx in this current climate?

Cheers in advance

Bryan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭trish23

Depends where you live - Galway, Cork, flood area? €700 is still way too high. Have you shopped around?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

trish23 wrote: »
    Depends where you live - Galway, Cork, flood area? €700 is still way too high. Have you shopped around?

I've pricked about online and getting cheaper quotes, it's just I'm not really

sure at what to put the buildings/contents at (283,556/99,244 at the min I know is way too high)

Navan is the location better chance of getting stabbed than a flood..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

depends on what level of conents your insuring, have you checked to make sure your not over insuring for the rebuild costs ?

Have you got smoke alarms, a burgular alarm ? are you putting any excess on the policy, have you made a claim before.

you cant just put a price out there and expect any kind of proper feedback without much much more detail

D3PO wrote: »
    depends on what level of conents your insuring, have you checked to make sure your not over insuring for the rebuild costs ?

Have you got smoke alarms, a burgular alarm ? are you putting any excess on the policy, have you made a claim before.

you cant just put a price out there and expect any kind of proper feedback without much much more detail

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

bryaner wrote: »
    I've pricked about online and getting cheaper quotes, it's just I'm not really

sure at what to put the buildings/contents at (283,556/99,244 at the min I know is way too high)

Navan is the location better chance of getting stabbed than a flood..

it doesnt cost 283K to rebuild a 4 bed semi 1360 square feet

• Advertisement

ei.sdraob wrote: »

I know that seeing as I'm grossly over insured that's why I'm trying to get a rough price on a rebuild

Sorry that's what I'm insured for at the min.

:rolleyes:

nice reposte :rolleyes: you come on for help and then act the idiot well done

I know that seeing as I'm grossly over insured that's why I'm trying to get a rough price on a rebuild

sounds like you are seriously over-insuring, may as well flush money down toilet

this document here from The Society of Chartered Surveyors will help you out to get a rough idea of rebuild costs

http://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.scs.ie%2F2010-SCS-House-Rebuilding-Insurance-Guide.pdf

sounds like you are seriously over-insuring, may as well flush money down toilet

this document here from The Society of Chartered Surveyors will help you out to get a rough idea of rebuild costs

http://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.scs.ie%2F2010-SCS-House-Rebuilding-Insurance-Guide.pdf

Cheers on that doc I'm over by around 100k rebuild costs I'll wander about the house room by room tomorrow and do a rough contents count, should save a
    nice amount.

• Advertisement

nice reposte :rolleyes: you come on for help and then act the idiot well done

Help lmfao only looked for a bit of information of what the kind of price to insure the rebuild at etc, not a lecture on smoke alarms and sorts that's standard muck

Take it easy.

if the google docs viewer doesnt work too well heres the direct one > http://www.scs.ie/2010-SCS-House-Rebuilding-Insurance-Guide.pdf

they have few other articles on their site about insurance

if the google docs viewer doesnt work too well heres the direct one > http://www.scs.ie/2010-SCS-House-Rebuilding-Insurance-Guide.pdf

they have few other articles on their site about insurance

That worked perfect thanks I'd be hoping to half my yearly premium .

show me where you specifically asked for the price to insure for rebuild costs ? exactly :rolleyes:

show me where you specifically asked for the price to insure for rebuild costs ? exactly :rolleyes:

yea

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Behave the lot of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭oohlala

have you tried a broker? They should be able to correctly advise you on the right insurance product. I always consult a broker for insurance even if i don't always sign up with them. Kellehers insurance in Drogheda are really good, they have great advise and seem to be nifty at getting good deals. They are the only broker i would recommend in your area. I had a few really good experiences with them. Sorry i'm not of more help but if i was in your shoes i would be straight on to a broker

oohlala wrote: »
    have you tried a broker? They should be able to correctly advise you on the right insurance product. I always consult a broker for insurance even if i don't always sign up with them. Kellehers insurance in Drogheda are really good, they have great advise and seem to be nifty at getting good deals. They are the only broker i would recommend in your area. I had a few really good experiences with them. Sorry i'm not of more help but if i was in your shoes i would be straight on to a broker

Cheers I'll give them a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I got the rebuild cost for my house redone lately.

Long story short, the surveyor came back to me with a figure that was 11 grand higher than what I'm insured for. I told him to go away and look at his numbers again - I work in construction and know the cost of things nowadays. He came back 2 days later with a figure 9 grand less than what I'm insured for - apparently the factor issued by the Institute of Chartered Surveyors is based on 2008/2009 building costs, which were at the peak. He got a revised figure for 2010 and used that. The survey cost 130eur, but the drop in premium was about 150eur (think it's about 388eur for the year, for a 4bed semi in north county dublin, including insurance for 2 expensive musical instruments)

The contents insurance is a percentage of that. Can't remember what exactly.Either that or you tally up the contents yourself roughly, as you suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Just a word of warning on changing the building cover to get a lower premium.

I saw a recent thread, possibly on boards.ie, where the mortgage lender refused to allow the borrower reduce the level of building cover in line with lower rebuild costs, because the lender's own valuation was higher.

The insurer sends a letter of indemnity to the interested party when the policy is purchased, so to avoid problems it's wise to check with your lender, if applicable, before reducing cover.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Should've clarified that. The guy who surveyed our house was from a company approved by the bank we have our mortgage with. They have a panel of different companies that do this apparently.

Advertisement