Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfurnished house for rent

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

ricman wrote: »
    Why would you rent a house with out a proper fridge freezer?
    Unless the rent was very low.
    IN most place its a renters market,there s lots of empty flats out there.
    i still see people paying big for these places, so if a few non essential items are missing and the price is very reasonable, i would say go for it, you can purchase alot second hand or at a decent price new

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

goat2 wrote: »
    i still see people paying big for these places, so if a few non essential items are missing and the price is very reasonable, i would say go for it, you can purchase alot second hand or at a decent price new

And there is always the likes of Freecycle etc. too

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

goat2 wrote: »

The attitude to rentals is ....

The question to landlords should be; would YOU live like that?

Graces7 wrote: »
    The attitude to rentals is ....

The question to landlords should be; would YOU live like that?
    i do also see houses that are rented out, the grounds around are full of weeds and rushes, never getting cared for not even once a year, the houses are not painted on the outside in yrs looking very shabby, a lawn a clothes line a place to sit out on a fine day, are all important also,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

i,d be happy to mow the lawn if i was getting a very low rent ,ie not 900 euro per month.say average rent minus 30 per cent.

• Advertisement

i,d be happy to mow the lawn if i was getting a very low rent ,ie not 900 euro per month.say average rent minus 30 per cent.
    i would do same, after all it is for oneself one would be doing it, but not where they charge enormous prices

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

30% discount to mow the lawn?
    I remember mowing lawns for 35p a go when I was a teenager- ye gods, I should have charged more! :D

Seriously though- under the 2009 Act- a landlord is now legally obliged to organise the upkeep of the exterior of a rental property- including but not limited to, mowing lawns, cleaning windows, painting etc. Its perfectly acceptable for the landlord to offload these duties on the tenant by means of lease article, however it is not acceptable to allow the exteriors of properties go to ruin, as often was the case in the past.

S.

i do think cleaning windows is going a bit far, as they should be done rather often, it does show how dirty a tenant is if he/she does not want to look out clean windows, shudder to think how they keep interior, if they are just too lazy to clean window outside

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

fact is though that exterior windows often require a ladder to clean them - it's easier to make the landlord responsible for making sure they're clean than saying the landlord needs to provide a ladder to clean them... which would mean he'd need a place to store this ladder which would mean he'd need to provide a garden shed of some kind and in apartments.... etc etc.

Xiney wrote: »
    fact is though that exterior windows often require a ladder to clean them - it's easier to make the landlord responsible for making sure they're clean than saying the landlord needs to provide a ladder to clean them... which would mean he'd need a place to store this ladder which would mean he'd need to provide a garden shed of some kind and in apartments.... etc etc.
    sorry
    i had forgotten about upstairs windows, but ground floor windows, i would expect tenants to clean those

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I think part of the problem is the outlook people in Ireland have towards renting: that it is simply a stepping stone until one can buy, rather than a viable choice, an alternative to buying.

In other countries, people choose to rent so that they don't have to deal with maintenance issues, and they can move on relatively easily if they wish to do so.

So in that case, the landlord should be in charge of maintenence, which in my opinion would include all fixed aspects of the property such as windows, exterior plantings, interior walls etc. Obviously cleaning the interior is up to the tenant because it is the tenant that messes it up - but the exterior is up to the elements and it makes more sense for it to be the landlord's responsibility.

Advertisement