Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about forum approval

Options
  • 22-06-2010 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭

Quick question, what exactly is the procedure when deciding whether a forum will be approved or not?

I ask because the request for the RIP forum was granted even though it only got 10 votes of support, whereas the request for the Chuck forum hasn't been decided on yet, even though it has 20 votes of support on the first page alone.

It just seems very inconsistent to me, because it seems the goalpost is moved depending on what forum is being requested. Surely if a forum is given enough support, and there is no reason not to make it, it should be approved, no? I mean looking at this from the outside, it seems that the RIP forum was approved early just because Dav and DeV agreed with it, but I'd love to be proven wrong on that point.

Also since I'm here, what's the status on the request for the Bereavement forum?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It is down to the opinion of the Admins as to whether a forum is appropriate (e.g. the recently proposed toilet forum), if we think it would be popular (e.g. the RIP forum) and if we think it would be a good addition to the site.

So, it's a general discussion, it's never a black and white case of yes or no. And given the volume of requests and the fact that it takes a while to build a consensus, requests don't generally get approved overnight. Unless, of course, it is blatantly obvious that everyone is in agreement that a forum would be A Good Thing.

I know absolutely nothing about Chuck, I have never heard of it, therefore would not be in a position to give an opinion on it. And from what I can tell, that is the case with some of the other Admins, hence the delay in decision on whether to approve the forum or not.

Remember, forum approval is one of many things Admins do, we tend to have many balls in the air at any one time (hows that for an image? :D). I know I can go on again about the volunteer nature of the site, but it is true, we are doing the best we can, please bear with us.

Advertisement