Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Month course while on job seekers benefit

• 23-06-2010 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hey everybody !

I am on job seekers benefit for the past two months and am actively seeking work but with no luck so far .

I am thinking of doing a course that is full time for four weeks and am wondering if anyone knows the story regarding claiming my benefit ?? I don't want to do the course and claim if it is considered fraud obviously . I just want to know where i stand with this .

Thanks !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Courses of education, training or development

A person shall be deemed to be available for work while participating in a course of education, training or development approved by the Minister provided that

s/he is at least 21 years of age
    s/he has been in receipt of JA/JB for at least 6 months (156 days)
    s/he has given prior notice of his/her intention to participate in the course.
    The course chosen must enhance the person's employment prospects. Courses may be approved by the Department's Job Facilitators or by Back to Education Schemes Section.
    Once a person has been accepted on a course, s/he must notify the Department by completing the application form (EOS 1), which is available from Social Welfare Local Offices. The completed form should be returned to the relevant Local Office for verification of the conditions regarding age and duration on the Live Register. The form should then be forwarded by the Local Office to a Job Facilitator for approval of the course. In determining whether participation in a course is likely to enhance the person's employment prospects, the Job Facilitator should have regard to the individual circumstances of the person concerned.

A broad range of courses may be approved - from personal development or basic education through to general training or the acquisition of specific job skills.

Full-time day third level courses of education which are not:

approved by the Department of Education and Science for Higher education purposes, nor
    approved for European Structural Fund purposes, nor
    recognised by the National Council for Educational Awards
    may not be approved for the purposes of this provision.

Information Leaflet "Employment Support Services Back to Education Programmes (SW 70)"

Specific courses approved:

The Horizon Project, which operates a Drug Rehabilitation Programme, and certain training courses for members of the travelling community.

The Access Project, which provides part‑time courses in the College of Industrial Relations.
    Short training courses provided by the Association for Personnel Services Overseas (APSO) in Ireland for the purposes of training for persons who are preparing to go abroad as volunteer development workers.
    VTOS "Taster" courses
    Part-Time Education

Persons who wish to pursue part‑time courses must demonstrate that their participation does not restrict reasonable availability for work.

Where a JB recipient is attending a part‑time course under the Back to Education - Part-Time Option on the understanding that the course will help to enhance his/her employment prospects, s/he should be encouraged to complete this course. It should be noted, however, that attendance on a part-time course under the Back to Education - Part-Time Option is allowed on the clear understanding that availability for/genuinely seeking reasonable work opportunities must take precedence over course attendance, should a conflict arise.

Advertisement