Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Robinson was on

Options
  • 23-06-2010 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

70's punts Mary McAlese is on €340 + expenses it has to stop and a free gaff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Trevington.

Oh were not just saying random things? My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

I meant to say Mary Robinson when she was President was on 70 punts plus a free House Mary McAlish is on €340,000 + a free home we dont need this that is all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Pot wrote:
    I meant to say Mary Robinson when she was President was on 70 punts plus a free House Mary McAlish is on €340,000 + a free home we dont need this that is all

Her wage after mandatory cut and voluntary cut is 260,400 / year.

Just to be correct :)

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/budget/news/mcaleese-volunteers-to-take-20pc-wage-reduction-1969589.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

considering the work she has put in and the way she represents the country abroad, this imo is exceptional value.

note - it is a 24hrs a day, 365days a year job and fully taxable - so about 40%+ comes straight back to the coffers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

IR£70 (a week I assume?) was a bargain, doubt we could have expected Mcaleese to work for the same.:)

I meant 70,000 punts and the other one getting €260,000 come on it should be voluntary position not one commanding that amount we dont need a President

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

All of our politicians are overpaid - Why single out the president?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pot wrote:
    it should be voluntary position
    Yes because we're going to get a great set of candidates for our primary overseas ambassador and head of state if we don't offer to pay them anything.

This is a job which involves lots and lots of travelling, going to meetings, handshaking and hobnobbing with high-ranking members of other states. It's not something you can part-time, so therefore you'll find very few worthy candidates volunteering to do such a job for the right reasons.

Technically speaking we don't need a president (though he/she retains certain powers that can be crucial in an emergency), but the ambassadorial role has served us well over the last 20 years and does free up members of the government to engage in more important affairs.

Still paid to much does not have to run a house / car etc etc

• Advertisement

Pot wrote:
    I meant 70,000 punts and the other one getting €260,000 come on it should be voluntary position not one commanding that amount we dont need a President

so who would be in charge of the constitution?

Also, where did you get the information that Mary Robinson was paid £70,000. AFAIK, the salary of president is linked to judicial salaries at the higher end of the scale.

That is what she was on at the start of her term

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Pot wrote:

But Mary Robinson quit early when she got a better job offer.

So I guess we must be €260k to keep a president.

Pot wrote:
    That is what she was on at the start of her term

any chance you'd work for the same wage offered 20 years ago?

At 300k + its high, but at 260k, it's not extreme, but maybe a further drop to about 200k would be better.

91011 wrote: »
    any chance you'd work for the same wage offered 20 years ago?

At 300k + its high, but at 260k, it's not extreme, but maybe a further drop to about 20k would be better.

I fixed it for you

Pot wrote:
    I fixed it for you

if you want a monkey....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Pot wrote:
    I fixed it for you

No you didn't, you made a mockery of it. Even at minimum wage, 6840 hours a year (taking out 8 hours a day for sleeping) spent representing the country would be €50,516 a year, and being president is not a minimum wage job.

It should be Free house free electricity free heating shall i go on free limo free security free cook free staff................................................... none of that comes out of her HUGE pay packet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Pot wrote:

Oh for gods sake. Go ring Joe Duffy about it if it annoys you so much :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

Pot wrote:
    It should be Free house free electricity free heating shall i go on free limo free security free cook free staff................................................... none of that comes out of her HUGE pay packet

My brain is melting reading your posts......take some time out to read over what you type before jumping on submit. Your grammar is .................

• Advertisement

More Grammar Gestapo get over it is the way i was Taught

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

Pot wrote:
    More Grammar Gestapo. Get over it is the way i was taught

I fixed it for you

hblock21 wrote: »
    I fixed it for you

Thanks Teacher:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Pot wrote:
    70's punts Mary McAlese is on €340 + expenses it has to stop and a free gaff

Are you taking the difference between 1990 and 2010?

testicle wrote: »

20 yrs does not justify that wage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Pot wrote:
    20 yrs does not justify that wage

Why not ?

Becuase you feel that it doesn't .. or do you have some sort of evidence to back that up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

testicle wrote: »

Between Q1 1990 and Q1 2009, public sector earnings increased by an average of 166% *
    That is, someone in the PS who earned IEP100 per week in 1990 was earning IEP266 in Q1 2009.

So if the president earned £70k in 1990, then we would expect her to be earning £186,200 in 2009, which is €235,000.

She actually earned €292k last year. Hardly a massive upwards rse when compared to the rest of the country's increase in wages.

* This is based on an average of averages, so it's not an accurate figure, just a guideline. The actual average is likely to be higher if you take the average of all salaries because it will be skewed by the increases of senior civil servants.
    The figure also includes any wage cuts in 2009.

There you are that is why are Country cannot compete with the rest of Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭randypriest

Pot wrote:
    There you are that is why are Country cannot compete with the rest of Europe

Your command of the English language is terrible. Dare I say it, you will never become President of Ireland. You need to up your game.

• Advertisement

More Grammar Gestapo:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement