Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romantic hotels in Galway

Options
  • 23-06-2010 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

hi, just wondering if any of you locals in galway can give me an idea of any romantic hotels in galway? is the 12 hotel in barna 'romantic'? also, would appreciate any nice places for dinner? from kilkenny and heading away with boyfriend in the next few weeks so thought id ask any of you locals best places? thank you :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

the G

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Glen Oaks....

(kidding):p

If you are looking in town, the House Hotel is central, and has nice boutique rooms.

I'd say the 12 is good as a romantic location, not as busy as town, and you can go straight across the road for a romantic stroll on the beach too. G is ok, but not as picturesque a location.

The 12 has pretty decent food, and there's a nice upmarket restaurant called O'Gradys on the pier nearby.

Donnellys is opposite too, more pub atmosphere, but usually great food too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

A hotel is as romantic as you either want or make it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Not sure, but Glenlo Abbey could be a nice spot also. Great Open area, and next to the river corrib http://www.glenlo.com/

Like said befor the 12 is also god, with a small range close proximity to the place and the seaside right at its door.

The G hotel is also as nice, not much around it, but hasw great reviews and has lovely rooms.

Park House hotel, depending on the room can also be a nice break away, in the center of town. so have your choices of dinners and a walk through galway city.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Living in Galway tends to mean ya don't stay in the hotels but my guess would be Glenlo Abbey for the scenery. You don't need much in a room to make it romantic. Just make sure they have a bath and bring candles and wine and you'll be grand young lad!

• Advertisement

dilallio wrote: »
    The G is a lovely spot alright

Has anyone been in room there thats overlooking the parking lot to the cinema? can't imagine that would be all that nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

The OP is a woman! lol

To be honest, candles, wine and as cheesy as it sounds, rose petals scattered across the place can make a world of difference. Lush shops have bath stuff that when they hit the water, loads of petals and things burst out of them. They're pretty cool too!

Not from Galway so can't say ... but good luck!
    Wompa1 wrote: »
    Living in Galway tends to mean ya don't stay in the hotels but my guess would be Glenlo Abbey for the scenery. You don't need much in a room to make it romantic. Just make sure they have a bath and bring candles and wine and you'll be grand young lad!

The OP is a woman! lol

To be honest, candles, wine and as cheesy as it sounds, rose petals scattered across the place can make a world of difference. Lush shops have bath stuff that when they hit the water, loads of petals and things burst out of them. They're pretty cool too!

Not from Galway so can't say ... but good luck!

Oopsy...in that case just don't bring clothes and he or she will be happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

inisboffin wrote: »
    Glen Oaks....

(kidding):p

If you are looking in town, the House Hotel is central, and has nice boutique rooms.

I'd say the 12 is good as a romantic location, not as busy as town, and you can go straight across the road for a romantic stroll on the beach too. G is ok, but not as picturesque a location.

The 12 has pretty decent food, and there's a nice upmarket restaurant called O'Gradys on the pier nearby.

Donnellys is opposite too, more pub atmosphere, but usually great food too.

+1

Although I think the 12 has got a bit shabby of late. and the G is also getting a bit dated. Glenlo Abbey for scenery alright but The House Hotel looks to be a good a place as any, hear they do good cocktails :)

O ' Gradys is also an amazing spot if you like your seafood. If you end up staying in town I would recommend Cava on Dominic St for dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Rickos

hi, just wondering if any of you locals in galway can give me an idea of any romantic hotels in galway? is the 12 hotel in barna 'romantic'? also, would appreciate any nice places for dinner? from kilkenny and heading away with boyfriend in the next few weeks so thought id ask any of you locals best places? thank you :)

I've stayed in the G, the House (many times) and the 12. I've been to the Glenlo Abbey, which is nice and great for peace and quiet, but it is more of a traditional hotel. If you're looking for something trendier, then I wouldn't stay there.

Of the G, the House and the 12, the best room I had was in the G. Really was fantastic, with two showers, massive bathroom, posh tolietries, but the location isn't up to much. But if the pair of you are looking to spend more time in the hotel, then this would be a cracking choice.

As everyone says, the 12 is in a good out-of-town location and the hotel is quite smart. The main restaurant is very good - the best food I've had on my visits to Galway. The room I had was a good size too, power showers, plenty of space. Barna also has a couple of other bars/restaurants so not a bad choice.

I like the House - my favourite hotel for when you want to be in the city. Always use it for race week, brilliant location, quite a 'funky' hotel. Staff are great. However, the rooms can be small so you are best calling ahead and asking for a larger room - they upgraded me for last year's race week and the room was excellent - plenty of space, smart furnishings.

All three are decent, with their good and less good points. It just depends if you want to be away from town or bang central.

Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

I called in here one day for a look. It's beautiful but I'd say it's expensive:

http://www.zetlandcountryhouse.com/Zetland_Country_House_Home.html

Is Connemara too far out? I hope that hasn't already been answered.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Lisloughrey Lodge in Cong which I refuse to acknowledge is in any other county than Galway.

Or the Burren Mount in Salthill...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Robbo wrote: »

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Galway isn't well served with the Romanticky/small shabby chic:D type places. The only one really would/could be "The House", but I've not stayed there.

Zetland is really lovely and you can go to see the gardens in Cashel House as well (just next door)

Lisloughrey is just great - food there is excellent.

Of the two, Lisloughrey is easiest to get to, just about 30/40 minutes north of Galway.

Give the G a miss unless you're into a Sex and the City type experience, but set in a car park. It's the worst situated hotel you could imagine.

The 12; I can't understand the reviews it gets. It's an ugly lump of concrete practically sitting on a busy crossroads. The pub grub is ok, but the few times I've eaten there in the restaurant, the food has been terrible. The rooms are in some cases hilariously tacky.

O'Gradys' on the Pier, (near the 12) is well worth a visit (even if you're not staying in the 12). It's very relaxed and reasonable.

If you're willing to travel a good hour to an hour and a half further West, try Renvyle House - an oasis and the chef is top class and completely free of pretension.

Finally, another option for you - maybe stay in a great B and B and eat in a restaurant close by. Don't reject it straight out. If you want to stay in Galway City Centre, the Heron's Rest just under the Spanish Arch gets amazing reviews. The sheets are often mentioned (linen apparently) and they may be just what you want for this weekend:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

It really depends what you're looking for, a city break to be close to everything, or in the countryside to get away from everything. Stayed in Jury's one weekend with the boyf, it was nice as we had Galway's best restaurants right outside, we did the prom etc...

The Cool wrote: »
    It really depends what you're looking for, a city break to be close to everything, or in the countryside to get away from everything. Stayed in Jury's one weekend with the boyf, it was nice as we had Galway's best restaurants right outside, we did the prom etc...

Sorry, but Jury's is more of place that you'd have to stay rather than where you'd actually want to stay.

The B and B I mentioned is only a few hundred metre aways from it and certainly will be more memorable.

Website is:

http://www.theheronsrest.com/index.htm

I've never stayed there but I've heard amazing things from people who have.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭countryliving

thanks a million for your responses.......i always wanted to try the G hotel but doesnt sound like my kinda place - thank you :) yah i agree with you Churchview Jurys is a place to stay but not somewhere memorable.....herons rest looks nice and different....or the other place suggested by Rickos - the house (yes i remember those days when i wouldnt miss galway races & de craic!!!wild wild wild) however these days i am SO sensible !! thank you for the suggestions also of restaurants......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Would love to claim an Establishment to be in our own County lol, but isn't Cong's Address - Cong Co. Mayo ...... :confused:
    Robbo wrote: »
    Lisloughrey Lodge in Cong which I refuse to acknowledge is in any other county than Galway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Would love to claim an Establishment to be in our own County lol, but isn't Cong's Address - Cong Co. Mayo ...... :confused:
    De-militarised zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'm heading to Lisloughrey Lodge tonight, managed to blag a Lakeview Suite :D Will let ye know what it's like. Granted it's not in Galway, but you could throw a stone accross the border into Galway!

• Advertisement

The County Line goes almost directly through Cong. Bits of it are in Galway and bits in Mayo. Lisloughrey (just about a mile before Cong) is in Mayo, but then confusingly as you go further away from Galway into Cong village, you're back in Galway for a bit, and then when just through the village, you're back to Cong!

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I'm heading to Lisloughrey Lodge tonight, managed to blag a Lakeview Suite :D Will let ye know what it's like. Granted it's not in Galway, but you could throw a stone accross the border into Galway!

Getting a Lakeview Suite so you can keep an eye on the boat you've arrived in? Only way to get there.

Many's the lunch I had in Ashford (sangwidges sitting on a boat - the cheapo version!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Bleedin Delish

in terms of a romantic meal Oskars is amazing .. beautiful food and really nice intimate surroundings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

Myself and the OH have stayed in the Parkhouse Hotel in Galway a couple of times and we have always found it lovely. The last time we went was for my birthday and the OH had arranged a bottle of champagne, chocolates and flowers for me, and a lovely Molton Brown set, all arranged through the hotel. We had a deluxe room which was bigger than the standard, king size bed, fluffy bath robes, dvd player etc and he had brought along some of my favourite dvds to watch as well. We had dinner one of the nights in the hotel and it was gorgeous, really really nice restaurant and lovely staff. Also had a few drinks in the bar (cocktails yummy) and there was a lovely atmosphere. Had a great time there, I'd 100% recommend them and they're right in the city near everything.
    Have a lovely break away OP, wherever you choose! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

The lovely winding streets of Old Galway are romantic enough for me. There is a little coffee shop with red check tablecloths, and also a nice place called Goya's, both in Kirwans Lane. There is a lovely second hand bookshop (Charlie Byrne's) for browsing, and an antique jewelery place called, I think, Twice As Nice, where you can buy The Ring(!!)

You can walk out by the water, past the swans, all the way to Salthill if you want. As you look back you will see the coloured little houses of the Claddagh, so unusual and pretty

There is a very good restaurant called Vina Mara in Middle Street, but around the same area are loads of cute places to eat.

I did not find the House Hotel great---rather impersonal, and I don't get this "boutique rooms" thing. The rooms looked just like Jurys to me. Except smaller (and dearer). But it is brilliantly located, and considers itself romantic and upmarket, so it might do. There is a small family run B&B on Nuns Island--I forget the name.

I love Galway, and when I visit, I still find it such a gem of a city, but I do think you should stay in the city. That is where the atmosphere is, --and the sense of an old historical city.
    The outskirts of Galway are lovely, but there are a lot of places in Ireland like that. The medieval quarter of Galway, I think, is very romantic and special, and perfect for strolling, or popping into little shops (Judy Green in Kirwans Lane perhaps) or enjoying a quiet coffee or cocktail

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Stayed in the G last year - tis expensive and the location isn't great, BUT you can do stuff like request a chilled bottle of bolly to be waiting in the room etc, and the rooms themselves are pretty decent. Taxi into town would be 10 mins and less than a tenner I suspect. We were at the back overlooking the dreaded car park, but to be honest its not all that intrusive - I suppose you could always request a room at the front, which would have sea views (tho again, I presume its extra). Interesting hotel to stay at as an experience if you get a good deal, tho having done it the once wouldn't feel the need to go back :)
    lamps

• Registered Users Posts: 3 banshee68

i'd say Connemara Coast Hotel, on the coastal road to Spiddal, never slept there, but it has a fantastic view of the galway bay, and a great external hot tub, to share relaxing moments in front of the sea! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I'm just laughing to myself now. I misread the thread title. I thought it said "Romantic hostels in Galway".

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭techyjon

G hotel has got Lough Atalia in front of it and the bedrooms are very impressive.
    I thought the bedroom i was in was very good.. Everything was white

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

banshee68 wrote: »
    i'd say Connemara Coast Hotel, on the coastal road to Spiddal, never slept there, but it has a fantastic view of the galway bay, and a great external hot tub, to share relaxing moments in front of the sea! ;-)

Shil?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement