Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elderflower in Galway?

Options
  • 23-06-2010 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭

Anyone spot a good bunch of elderflower growing anywhere that I can pick?
    It's supposedly blooming now, and had the most gooorgeous homemade cordial at body and soul and want to make some myself.

The cordial is lovely for cocktails too!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭moldypeach

There are lots of them growing at the back of Renville park just outside oranmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Thanks Moldypeach, I will try that if I nab a
    lift (no car). :)
    Any spotted near town?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

These may be a bit far for you, but I saw some between Athenry and the Carmore-Monivea road. A suggestion - they don't last long in flower, just now they are perfect, with a tinge of yellow/cream to the blossoms. Pick a load of them and make some elderflower syrup, you can then use this out of season to make stuff. I used to make loads of EF wine, and the cordial was nice too. Dandelion cordial worked well, tasted of rhubarb to me. Dandelion/EF beer turned out well.

Ooooh how the kids hated picking dandelions for me !

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I've heard of some being picked up around Knocknagoneen/Silver Strand direction.

There's a load on the way to Sligo (I know its a bit far for the OP probably). Some are starting to turn brown, so OP or anyone else who wants to do a bit of harvesting, get a move on ! You can smell it in the air driving along !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

Apparently not a good idea to source your wine making plants from beside the road due to the fuel fumes.

Yes, probably true, but the ones on the roadside are a good indicator of the progress of the blooms, and where there are loads by the roadside, there are probably more down the tracks & in the fields

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Someone just gave me a big bottle of cordial, so I got lazy! Spotted a teeny few near Kingston, so may go investigate tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭macl

I've enjoyed many's the elder flower cordial ala Hugh Fernley Wittingstall. Renville park is your only man

Advertisement