Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collection of dreams, false awakenings, lucid?

• 23-06-2010 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭

I woke up about a half hour ago following the weirdest dream I'm pretty certain I've ever had, and felt the need to know if anyone has experienced something similar.

Basically it started off with that dead weight on top of me. I was asleep, and I knew I was asleep, but someone was lying beside me. I could feel the pressure and it scared me, so I decided I needed to wake up. I thought I'd succeeded but my dream continued, and in my dream the presence turned out to be my cat. In order to calm myself I replaced my cat with the feeling of my ex spooning me (sad I know, but I obviously needed comfort) and fell back asleep in the dream. Woke up again but the presence this time was trying to strangle me from behind.

Felt the pain, felt the arm around my neck, every hair on my body stood on end and my skin felt like it was on fire. Tried to wake myself up, again, another false awakening. Couldn't find the switch for my bedside lamp, threw myself out of the bed and ran into another bedroom in the house. Was told by my brother that he too was stuck in a dream and couldn't get out. Another false awakening, I'm back in my bed and there's a woman talking to me, but I can't see her, she's talking to me telepathically. This was by far the best part of the dream as nothing too scary happened, actually it was going along a nice and kinky route until I slipped back into sleep within the dream and saw a vision of my mother in a state of undress, being held down and also asleep.

Another and final false awakening, to find someone standing over me in my bedroom. Reaching out, got a very malicious, evil vibe. Yelled out "WAKE UP NOW." And then I woke up for real. I know I definitely only yelled it in my head because if I hadn't I'd have woken up everyone in the house.

It's really after freaking me out. Is this some form of lucid dreaming? I find it hard to believe that since it took me so long to actually wake myself up. I saw a link posted on another thread about hypnagogia and I'd probably be more likely to think it was some form of that, maybe because of all the false awakenings. Maybe because I knew they were false awakenings in the dream.

Either way I know I won't be sleeping again tonight. If you guys have any insight I'd really appreciate it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Riddickcule

No it's not a lucid dream, if it was you would have been able to wake yourself up whenever you wanted.

Don't be afraid to go to sleep tonight, if it happens again, then I'd worry. It might just be a once off, we all have strange dreams like that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Thanks for the reassurance. I think the nature of it totally unnerved me, I've never had a dream like that before and only once or twice experienced false awakenings, and never so many at the same time. I talked to my brother about it last night after I woke up and he says it's happened to him a few times. Fingers crossed it was a once off for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I would say this is more on the verge of sleep paralysis. It sounds like you couldnt wake yourself fromt he paralysis so just fell back into sleep. In sleep paralysis the best way to come out of it is to focus on one part of your body, I focus on my finger tips and try and wiggle a finger, when the finger starts to move the rest of the body begins to wake. Lucid dreaming is more like when you can direct your dream and know that it is a dream and when to stop dreaming (I think). Sleep paralysis is not nice, some people come to terms with it and start to enjoy but I never could, understanding it is more the key really.

Advertisement