Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Internet Banking - Code Card

Options
  • 23-06-2010 3:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently found something I wanted to purchase, but the website I wish to purchase from do not take Laser Card. I asked them if the would allow me to transfer the money from my account to their's, and was told that was no problem at all.

The man I was dealing with gave me their account number and that, and I logged onto my AIB Internet Banking, which I had set up about 14 days ago on the phone with an AIB employee.

I selected what I wanted the payment to show up as on my statement, and that's as far as I got before being greeted with a message saying they had just sent out a Code Card which I'd have in 3-4 working days, before bringing me back to their Home Page.

Is the above normal practise? The reason I ask this is because when I tried to do the above process again, I was greeted with the same message, so in theory, how would they have known I wouldn't have recieved this Code Card and not let me proceed? Surely the same thing will happen when I again go to try in 3-4 days?

Is there anyway around the above, apart from going into the bank in person as that's not an option for me for the next couple of days.

Any help would be greatfully appreciated,

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hi all,

I recently found something I wanted to purchase, but the website I wish to purchase from do not take Laser Card. I asked them if the would allow me to transfer the money from my account to their's, and was told that was no problem at all.

The man I was dealing with gave me their account number and that, and I logged onto my AIB Internet Banking, which I had set up about 14 days ago on the phone with an AIB employee.

I selected what I wanted the payment to show up as on my statement, and that's as far as I got before being greeted with a message saying they had just sent out a Code Card which I'd have in 3-4 working days, before bringing me back to their Home Page.

Is the above normal practise? The reason I ask this is because when I tried to do the above process again, I was greeted with the same message, so in theory, how would they have known I wouldn't have recieved this Code Card and not let me proceed? Surely the same thing will happen when I again go to try in 3-4 days?

Is there anyway around the above, apart from going into the bank in person as that's not an option for me for the next couple of days.

Any help would be greatfully appreciated,

Thanks.

For certain transactions, for example setting up a new beneficiary, you need a code card. When you entered the Bank account details, the code card contains a list of 4 digits numbers. For the first time you transfer money to a new account, it will ask you to enter two of these 4 digits codes. Each of the 100 codes on the card will only be used once.

This is a form of security to protect your account, even if someone managed to get your login details, they cannot transfer money out of your account, except to accounts you have already setup.

While it is not a secure as the SecurID they use for business banking, it is better than some others...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Mr.S wrote: »
    AIB use the (stupid) safe and secure system of a codecard for each non saved account.

It should be posted out to you soon and then you just type in the numbers it asks for.

Fixed your post. Don't blame your bank for providing security. Blame the criminals who try to con people into giving them their passwords and the idiots who fall for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Atleast once you have the card you never need to call the helpline or darken the door of an AIB branch again. Atleast I haven't in about 5 years!

You can set up as many transfer accounts as you want and do almost everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Yeah the Code Card came today, so they were obviously very swift in sending it out.

Fair play to them, I have my Code Card now and have ordered what I have needed.

Thanks for the help all.

Advertisement