Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long can you go without sleep.

• 23-06-2010 7:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

I woke up todat at about 5 p.m and have to go work soon and i wont get home 'till about 7 pm tonight. Thats 26 hours which i'm sure is nothing to me into a record book for but is long enough for me! So whats the longest ye ever had to go without sleep for for whatever reason?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

I woke up todat at about 5 p.m and have to go work soon and i wont get home 'till about 7 pm tonight. Thats 26 hours which i'm sure is nothing to me into a record book for but is long enough for me! So whats the longest ye ever had to go without sleep for for whatever reason?

5pm to 7pm....26 hours!?

Wtf...GO BACK TO SLEEP!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

About 2 days.. which is 48 hours then i'm really tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,421 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

wayyyyyyyyyy too long and then I complain that dont get any

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭Archeron

I once worked a straight 36 hour shift in an old job to get an important order out, and it was over a weekend too. 7am Saturday morning to 7pm Sunday night. Taking in driving to and from work, that was aout 39 hours.

I was seeing things by the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neil_

I've gone around ~40 hours with no sleep a few times. One night with no sleep is pretty manageable for basically everyone, any more than that can be quite tough without chemical assistance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

16 hrs .... then I become unbearable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Up to 3 days without sleeping... Insomnia rules my world

Awake since 5am today. Coffee IV asap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Mine was in around the 60 something hours.

Woke up at 8 on a Monday morning, couldn't sleep that day, did a night shift that night, home, couldn't sleep as it was too noisy and bright, played the Xbox, went to work that night, came home, got into bed, was wide awake, got out of bed, and me & Mrs drove to Belfast, fecked about there for the day, and came home.

I hit the bed at about 7 that evening. It wasn't too bad, slept til about 7 the next morning.

Sleep is overrated anyway. Most people in my family are insomniacs to some form. My mother has gotten by on about 2 hours sleep a night for the last 30 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

About 3 days. Far less if I've been reading boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Not long anymore. Have been going to bed very late all week and i'm shattered today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

scientists still havent discovered why we need sleep,techically the body should be able to live without sleeping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

working 18 hour shifts as stage crew at oxegen last year. 3 days in a row

I was at my wits end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

not very lo....... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

a couple of days then i get very grouchy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Somewhere between 48 and 72 hrs. My mate went longer and lost the plot completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I regularly don't sleep for 2 or 3 days, I have trouble sleeping and waking up (once I'm out nothing can wake me) so if it goes past 3 or 4 in the morning and I still haven't managed to go to sleep I just stay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Not very long unless chemically assisted.

I would happily sleep 12 hours a night IF I WAS LET!!

Stupid life interfering with the important business of SLEEPING.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    My mate went longer and lost the plot completely.

How so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭token56

If I was pushed I'm sure I could go without a nights sleep etc, but I love my sleep so have absolutely no desire to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

32 hours. It all stems from when I thought aliens were going to abduct me when I was 6. Was terrified to go to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

48 hours or so but jeasus i get cranky, thank fu@k it doesn't happen that often :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Sleep is overrated anyway.
    Whaaaaat?? You must be joking, its one of my all time fav things to do.Love bed!

Longest was around 36hrs and i nearly went insane.Went to FatBoy Slim Last year and consumed some head shop purchases :o...never never NEVER again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

oh I am sure I have stayed awake for more than 48 hours during and after long haul flights. best to stay awake after you come in and sleep at the normal time. Do I feel good, no? Can I function, yes?

How long more can I do it. Dont know, at about 48 hours I start to doze off if sitting down, I certainly should not be driving a car for instance, it would be worse than being drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Two nights without sleep was my limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

I was working as a static security guard up in Dublin one time. I had a 24hour stint in a building site up near Blanchardstown. It took 2 hrs to get there from where I was living at the time. I'd usually head to bed soon after getting back. So I used to do in or around 28-29 hours each Sunday for about 2 months. I wouldn't be that physically tired but my eye's would just not stay open after that long awake in complete boredom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

3 days without sleep for a project that I was behind on - wasn't well for a few days after it, sleep patterns were all over the shop!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Dunno exactly, longest was probably when travelling so up on about nearly 30 hours id say. Wouldnt do it again but I have a feeling I won't have a choice soon. love my sleep so try not to spend too much time away from my bed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

scientists still havent discovered why we need sleep,techically the body should be able to live without sleeping.

It's psychological - the mind needs rest, read somewhere before that keeping soldiers awake for very long periods was used as a torture technique by the Viatnamese on Americans in internment camps - drove alot of them nuts apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Went to bed around 2am on a thursday...up about 7 am drove 54 miles to work, finished work at 5pm drove almost 150 miles to rosslare.

Got the ferry to pembroke (didn't sleep) landed at 1 am, drove to London (Dartford), there at 7.05 am, picked up what I went for, left at 8 am, back in pembroke at 2.15pm.

Got the ferry back to rosslare (didn't sleep) then drove 100 miles home (was 8 pm then) and when home had to go to a friend to do some work on his car.

It was about 2 am sunday morning when I eventually got to bed.

(And do you want to know why I did all this?? My brother bid on something on ebay and won. But never read the terms and conditions. Had to be collected in person as the seller wouldn't post!! :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

PaulieC wrote: »
    It's psychological - the mind needs rest, read somewhere before that keeping soldiers awake for very long periods was used as a torture technique by the Viatnamese on Americans in internment camps - drove alot of them nuts apparently
    If your doing weight training I find that your muscles stay sore for allot longer if you don't get a proper nights sleep. I'm assuming allot of repair work is done around the body while your asleep.

Advertisement