Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long can you go without sleep.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

Funnily enough, the amount of time I can go without sleep is directly proportional to the amount of time I can go without sexings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

How so?
    We were in Ibiza, caining it on all sorts for days on end. After about two sleepless nights I decided to give it a rest and catch a few winks, leaving one of my mates sitting out in the kitchen. He said he'd be turning in himself shortly enough, which I knew was a lie since he was still completely wired, and had a fat bag of MDMA in his pocket that I strongly suspected would be dabbed for the remainder of the night.

He woke us up bright and early the next morning, apparently in top form and cheerfully talking complete cobblers. Throughout the course of the day, this chat progressed from run-of-the-mill cod**** to complete gibberish about cactuses, caterpillars, and talking animals, all of whom were allegedly wearing suits.

Against our better judgement, we brought him down to the nearest bar to have a few pints and bite of food. He sat happily there munching on his pizza, regaling the group of middle-aged women sitting beside us with tales of cactuses, caterpillars, and well-dressed animals. They took it well enough - they were laughing at least - but I'd imagine they were at best bemused and at worst absolutely terrified by the wide-eyed, topless nutter.

Deciding he wasn't fit for public interaction, we walked him back towards the apartment. What should have been a five minute walk took significantly longer as he was intent on examining every wall for caterpillars, and we had to trail behind picking up the apparently unwanted €50 notes he was throwing out of his pockets.

We got back, and completely out of our depth and at a loss as to how to deal with the situation, we suggested he have a cold shower to calm himself down a bit. Cue a solid 20 minutes of listening to him banging off the bathroom walls, roaring at the top of his lungs and intermittently giving a rendition of The Prodigy's Out Of Space. After that, things got darker as the mania turned to paranoia, coming to a head when he broke down and bawled his eyes out for half an hour because, it seemed, we weren't his friends anymore.

After what seemed an eternity, he calmed down a bit and I brought him down to the beach to smoke a joint and chill out. All credit to the man: in the midst of delirium, he managed to roll 2 near-perfect spliffs. We sat there for an hour or so and, toking away and listening to the soothing sound of the sea, he levelled out nicely, though I still had to keep an eye out as he seemed enamored with the idea of swimming out to the lighthouse, which looked about 5 miles away. Crisis averted, we went back to flake on the balcony where he sat contentedly, safe in the knowledge that Clifford the big red dog was watching over him from the apartment across the road.

I suppose it could best be described as a mild episode of psychosis brought about by sleep deprivation, and it was funny and terrifying in equal measure.

Lol, drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

i have gone days without sleep
    i'm not a great sleeper and every hour wasted is one hour of your life gone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Worked from 8am to 10 pm on a Friday doing a yearly stock-check in work, then went to town to meet up with some friends, ended up at a session where we played Tekken 5 until lunchtime the next day and then I went into town to buy Uncharted 2 and stayed up til the Sunday evening playing it.
    Started imagining things around 6pm on the saturday.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    We were in Ibiza, caining it on all sorts for days on end. After about two sleepless nights I decided to give it a rest and catch a few winks, leaving one of my mates sitting out in the kitchen. He said he'd be turning in himself shortly enough, which I knew was a lie since he was still completely wired, and had a fat bag of MDMA in his pocket that I strongly suspected would be dabbed for the remainder of the night.

He woke us up bright and early the next morning, apparently in top form and cheerfully talking complete cobblers. Throughout the course of the day, this chat progressed from run-of-the-mill cod**** to complete gibberish about cactuses, caterpillars, and talking animals, all of whom were allegedly wearing suits.

Against our better judgement, we brought him down to the nearest bar to have a few pints and bite of food. He sat happily there munching on his pizza, regaling the group of middle-aged women sitting beside us with tales of cactuses, caterpillars, and well dressed animals. They took it well enough - they were laughing at least - but I'd imagine they were at best bemused and at worst absolutely terrified by the wide-eyed, topless nutter.

Deciding he wasn't fit for public interaction, we walked him back towards the apartment. What should have been a five minute walk took significantly longer as he was intent on examining every wall for catterpillars, and we had to trail behind picking up the apparently unwanted €50 notes he was throwing out of his pockets.

We got back, and completely out of our depth and at a loss as to how to deal with the situation, we suggested he have a cold shower to calm himself down a bit. Cue a solid 20 minutes of listening to him banging off the bathroom walls, roaring at the top of his lungs and intermittently giving a rendition of The Prodigy's Out Of Space. After that, things got darker as the mania turned to paranoia, coming to a head when he broke down and bawled his eyes out for half and hour because, it seemed, we weren't his friends anymore.

After what seemed an eternity, he calmed down a bit and I brought him down to the beach to smoke a joint and chill out. All credit to the man: in the midst of delirium, he managed to roll 2 near-perfect spliffs. We sat there for an hour or so and, toking away and listening to the soothing sound of the sea, he levelled out nicely, though I still had to keep an eye out as he seemed enamored with the idea of swimming out to the lighthouse, which looked about 5 miles away. Crisis averted, we went back to flake on the balcony where he sat contentedly, safe in the knowledge that Clifford the big red dog was watching over him from the apartment across the road.

I suppose it could best be described as a mild episode of psychosis brought about by sleep deprivation, and it was funny and terrifying in equal measure.

Lol, drugs.

And nothing to do with all the MDMA consumed I suppose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

When I was bout 12 stayed up for three days straight. Mild bout of insomnia!

Nowadays I love my bed, but work weekends so after sessions on a Fri/Sat night I generally dont go to bed-sometimes one or two hours can leave you feeling more wrecked than just plain staying up-so a few times a month I would go 36-40 hours or so without sleep. Not a bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

ronoc wrote: »
    And nothing to do with all the MDMA consumed I suppose?
    Obviously that played a part as well, but hallucinations on that scale are typical of severe sleep deprivation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

jdooley28 wrote: »
    How long can you go without sleep.

...Well I start off by dozing at the one length of 5 foot something - but in the morning I sometimes wake to find myself arisen a few inches! :eek:
    (Thought it said "How long do you go to sleep!")

But to answer the real question: now about 26 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

25 hours is the longest as far as I remember, but i'm a cranky arse if I dont get at least 7 hours..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

every hour wasted is one hour of your life gone
    Again....sleeping is the business ffs! :rolleyes: Not one single minute i spend in my bed is a wasted one zzzzzzzzz :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

my rule is once i start hearing orchestral strings in the noise from the laptop's fan I go to bed

Have gone 30 hours without sleep. not anymore though.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Narcolepsy FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Blushingblue

I think the longest for me has been between 36-40 hours. I get really weird moods around the 24hour mark, like one minute I'm hyper, non stop talking saying random not funny stuff that I think is hilarious then I get a mood and get cranky, confused and really tired...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Tis a summer goal to stay up 3 days...two at most.

A friend of mine did for 5,well he had two-3hours sleep at one stage but on a train he thought he was reaching in for a tape...Snapped out nd he was reaching for his Gf fun bags:pac:

Oddly when I've been awake 24 hrs I become really witty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

I reckon I could go without sleep for about three quarters of an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Used to be able to stay awake for 2-3 days as a teenager... Nowadays, I doubt I could even last 24 hours... I don't try really - I love my leaba...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I have sleep Apneia. I go to "Sleep" for 6-7 hours and am still fooked when I wake up. It's a pain in the ass but I suppose I have to get used to it.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

When I was 13 I managed to stay awake for 66 hours. I started on a Friday morning, managed to stay awake by reading, drawing and having BBC Radio 2 on - that was the only station that broadcast through the night in those days. I wouldn't do it now, though. I'm too old and sensible (and boring).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Neberkenezer

i done 78hrs once,its a bit personal why i did so we'll leave it at that.

sleep and me dont go hand in hand ,2-3 hrs a night is more than enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Was camping the other week-from Friday to Monday i got 4hours sleep in total.
    I'm actually getting insomnia a fair bit since i became unemployed. Fair few nights where i don't sleep a wink.

• Advertisement
Advertisement