Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tale of two Signs

• 23-06-2010 8:31am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is the tale of two signs, one that is missing and one that is there but should not be.
    I am talking about the double roundabout junction between the Waterford City bypass and the road leading to Waterford {south} just pass the new WIT campus.
    First you have no direction sign on the first {city side} roundabout directing traffic to Dublin/Rosslare.
    As you enter the roundabout the first exit is for Cork/Dungarvan and is clearly marked. The second exit goes across the bypass and is for Dublin/Rosslare but there is no direction sign here so traffic not familiar with the road ends up driving around the roundabout lost.:confused:

Second problem is with a sign not needed.
    On the second roundabout {river side} there are two exits for traffic. First is the Dublin/Rosslare down ramp towards the new bridge and the second is for Waterford {south} across the bypass. Problem is on the first exit, the Dublin/Rosslare ramp; the direction sign indicates Waterford also. I know the reason for this....all direction signs on the bypass direct traffic for Waterford to the large roundabout north of the new bridge because this is the designated entry for the City.
    This makes no sense however because the only traffic on the second {riverside} roundabout has come from only two places. One from the west Cork/Dungarvan side up ramp and came up that ramp because they wanted to get to Waterford or Tramore etc.. Having a sign on this roundabout directing traffic to Waterford down the down ramp to the new bridge is crazy. This traffic has just left the bypass and does not want to go back down on to it again.
    The other traffic on the roundabout is from Waterford {south} and clearly is not trying to get to Waterford. So this sign is not needed and is in fact causing confusion.

As someone who uses this junction every day I can tell you it is causing confusion all the time. I see people going around in circles on the first roundabout because they can’t find the exit for Dublin, and cars stopping on the down ramp of the second roundabout and even reversing back up it because they obviously realise they have gone wrong.

This is an accident waiting to happen all because of one missing and one too many signs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Beeker wrote: »

Second problem is with a sign not needed.
    On the second roundabout {river side} there are two exits for traffic. First is the Dublin/Rosslare down ramp towards the new bridge and the second is for Waterford {south} across the bypass. Problem is on the first exit, the Dublin/Rosslare ramp; the direction sign indicates Waterford also. I know the reason for this....all direction signs on the bypass direct traffic for Waterford to the large roundabout north of the new bridge because this is the designated entry for the City.
    This makes no sense however because the only traffic on the second {riverside} roundabout has come from only two places. One from the west Cork/Dungarvan side up ramp and came up that ramp because they wanted to get to Waterford or Tramore etc.. Having a sign on this roundabout directing traffic to Waterford down the down ramp to the new bridge is crazy. This traffic has just left the bypass and does not want to go back down on to it again.
    The other traffic on the roundabout is from Waterford {south} and clearly is not trying to get to Waterford. So this sign is not needed and is in fact causing confusion.

So, if you want to enter Waterford City and you are coming from Cork the sign suggests you cross the new bridge, and presumably go along newrath and cross the old bridge bringing you onto the Quay?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

dayshah wrote: »
    So, if you want to enter Waterford City and you are coming from Cork the sign suggests you cross the new bridge, and presumably go along newrath and cross the old bridge bringing you onto the Quay?
    Thats it. You have a Green sign directimg you to Waterford straigh ahead to the bridge and a sign that directs you up the ramp for Waterford{south} At the top of the ramp you enter the roundabout and the first exit directs you to Waterford back down the ramp and on to the bypass again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Yep. Why are you surprised? The authorities are inept at the simplest of road planning and signing systems around here.

If you and I, who are not road engineers or planners, can easily see the cock-up and the obviously correct way of doing it, why can the guys who are paid to, not do so?

I made a similar comment on another thread. Someone criticised me for daring to suggest that those in charge of this sort of thing are incompetent.

Once again, they have proved their worth.

A.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The biggest accident waiting to happen is when your leaving Waterford heading towards the M9, the amount of idiots who don't pay attention that the left lane is LEFT TURN ONLY and instead stay in the left and try and force other cars out of the way so they can go straight.

Its not going to be pretty when something bad happens, I see a close call almost every day on the junction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

mike65 wrote: »

Contacted both NRA and Waterford City Council about 6 months ago. No reply from NRA and Waterford City Council tanked me for my comments and said they would take it up with the NRA but never heard anything after that.
    Update: Just sent e-mail again to above, wait to see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mysterious&Shy

Cabaal wrote: »
    The biggest accident waiting to happen is when your leaving Waterford heading towards the M9, the amount of idiots who don't pay attention that the left lane is LEFT TURN ONLY and instead stay in the left and try and force other cars out of the way so they can go straight.

Its not going to be pretty when something bad happens, I see a close call almost every day on the junction.

Already did! Some idiot drove into the right hand side of my car. And then had the cheek to get out of the car and read me the right act as he said that I was wrong! Fiance pointed out about left turn only and he says "oh yeah". I said "oh yeah, insurance details please?". Had to wait for the Gardai to come to get his details off him as he wouldn't give them to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Most drivers have'nt got a clue about roundabouts and how to use them properly. Drive the ring round any day of the week down to the new bypass and you'll see at least a couple of instances of people being in the wrong lane for the exit they want to take. And dont get me started on people not indicating where they are going! And these are the same people who will complain about being held up in traffic..... If people indicated properly and got into the right lanes everything would move smoother.

But of course, it does'nt help that the road markings and signage is non-existant near the bypass.

dermo909 wrote: »
    Most drivers have'nt got a clue about roundabouts and how to use them properly. Drive the ring round any day of the week down to the new bypass and you'll see at least a couple of instances of people being in the wrong lane for the exit they want to take. And dont get me started on people not indicating where they are going! And these are the same people who will complain about being held up in traffic..... If people indicated properly and got into the right lanes everything would move smoother.

But of course, it does'nt help that the road markings and signage is non-existant near the bypass.
    You have it in one there my friend!:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Already did! Some idiot drove into the right hand side of my car. And then had the cheek to get out of the car and read me the right act as he said that I was wrong! Fiance pointed out about left turn only and he says "oh yeah". I said "oh yeah, insurance details please?". Had to wait for the Gardai to come to get his details off him as he wouldn't give them to me.

I've had some close calls myself so in order to avoid a hit I now go into the right lane and end up taking the inner most lane on the roundabout, that way some ****wit can take the left and go straight all they want but they won't hit me.

I know I shouldn't have to take the inner most lane but then I only do so when I'm not obstructing others and there's no risk of me hitting anyone,

I'd rather not have to deal with getting the car repaired

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

...Had to wait for the Gardai to come to get his details off him as he wouldn't give them to me.

Kinda off topic, but outta curiosity, what did the Gardai in question say when you said he wouldnt give you his insurance details?

Are there any legal repercussions about this?

Has an issue like this a while back, so I just took out a notebook and started taking the guys number plate, insurance details from his disk on the window, photographing the car..

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Terry Cotta

That three lane roundabout should have signs on the approaches saying which lanes are which. At the moment there are only arrows on the roads at the end of the approaches so you can easily miss them if there are cars over the arrows.

From the KK side the approach has two lanes and splits into three just at the roundabout. I don't think there is sign telling you it splits. Its a fairly dodgy roundabout. I've seen cars been cut off by trucks.

I've had some close calls myself so in order to avoid a hit I now go into the right lane and end up taking the inner most lane on the roundabout, that way some ****wit can take the left and go straight all they want but they won't hit me.

I know I shouldn't have to take the inner most lane but then I only do so when I'm not obstructing others and there's no risk of me hitting anyone,

I'd rather not have to deal with getting the car repaired

My poor car cost 1100 to repair :eek:

I think that that is what mise is going to do from now on. I travel that road alot to head home to my home place.

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Kinda off topic, but outta curiosity, what did the Gardai in question say when you said he wouldnt give you his insurance details?

Are there any legal repercussions about this?

Has an issue like this a while back, so I just took out a notebook and started taking the guys number plate, insurance details from his disk on the window, photographing the car..

Tox

Garda had to get the details off him as he was in the wrong for doing what he did. Fiance went to get the insurance details from his window but yer man took the disc out!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

There REALY needs to be signs at the approach to that roundabout, and the one at the end of the M9, telling people which lane to use, since most people have obviously forgotten how to do it since they passed their driving test.

If you're taking the third exit from the roundabout, circumnavigate it in the RIGHT lane, whilst indicating right. Indicate left as you pass the exit prior to your intended, then leave the roundabout and enter the left lane on the new road.

DO NOT enter the roundabout in the left lane and drive all the way round it like it was a curvey road.

And when you are driving down a dual carriageway, drive on the LEFT lane unless you're overtaking or approaching a junction or roundabout at which you are intending to turn right.

It amazes me the number of people that leave the roundabout then drive on the right lane. FFS, we drive on the LEFT in this country!

We need a lot of signs, all over the country on dual carriageways, which say "Drive on the left, overtake on the right".

[/rant over]

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Garda had to get the details off him as he was in the wrong for doing what he did. Fiance went to get the insurance details from his window but yer man took the disc out!:mad:

Out of interest, could he have been done for not displaying the disc after he did that too?
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Agreed i go that way everyday heading towards Bridge St,and everyday its the same thing people trying to go straight,i had a guy in an ESB jeep drive across me the other day and he was looking at me and saying "what are you doing"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Also when you are leaving the Slieverue roundabout heading towards Waterford you will see a sign on the left that says "Waterford 6km" then about 200 meters down the road you see another sign that says "Waterford 3km"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

alinton wrote: »
    There REALY needs to be signs at the approach to that roundabout, and the one at the end of the M9, telling people which lane to use, since most people have obviously forgotten how to do it since they passed their driving test.

If you're taking the third exit from the roundabout, circumnavigate it in the RIGHT lane, whilst indicating right. Indicate left as you pass the exit prior to your intended, then leave the roundabout and enter the left lane on the new road.

DO NOT enter the roundabout in the left lane and drive all the way round it like it was a curvey road.

And when you are driving down a dual carriageway, drive on the LEFT lane unless you're overtaking or approaching a junction or roundabout at which you are intending to turn right.

It amazes me the number of people that leave the roundabout then drive on the right lane. FFS, we drive on the LEFT in this country!

We need a lot of signs, all over the country on dual carriageways, which say "Drive on the left, overtake on the right".

[/rant over]

A.

Rubbish! The correct way to navigate a two-lane roundabout is:
    - if turning left : stay in the left hand lane, then suddenly veer off and take the first exit without indicating. Wouldn't want anybody waiting to join the roundabout to know what your plans were would you?
    - if going straight on : either a) approach in the left lane and take the "racing line" straight across, thus causing any traffic turning right to brake sharply. To provide exciting variation for following traffic the lane you take on exit can be either lane, if in the right lane on exit ensure that you check if there is any traffic in the left-hand lane, only if there ** is ** then pull in sharply. Alternatively if you drive a "high-status" vehicle such as a BMW or Range Rover then take option b) enter the roundabout in the right hand lane, but only if this is in direct contravention of the road markings indicating right turn only. On exit the illegality of your manoeuvre can be negated by a single (no more!!!) indicator flash to the left before taking up your rightful place in the right hand lane. Option c) is strictly for vans and is kindly provided to enable the drivers of following cars to test their brakes so ensure that you pull over to the left hand lane at the last possible second before the roundabout.
    - if turning right : only one choice here. Just try the old "left hand lane all the way round" plus, for the more adventurous only, add an "indicate left all the time" combo.

SSE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

There have already been 3 incidents that I know of at this point. A lorry, a van and a english reg car have all crashed there in the last 4 months. Not serious yet but It can only get worse.

Any way it will be mayhem up there in the next while, as they have to close the road tofix the ramps in the lay up to the roundabout!

• Advertisement

Kahless wrote: »
    Out of interest, could he have been done for not displaying the disc after he did that too?
    :D

Yep :D

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Any way it will be mayhem up there in the next while, as they have to close the road tofix the ramps in the lay up to the roundabout!

Yeah saw that this morning they have the overtaking lane coming into Waterford closed off with cones....its going to be insane as it gets closer to 9pm :confused:

For the love of god people need to learn its a bloody overtaking lane NOT A FAST LANE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Looks like something may be done:

http://www.wlrfm.ie/tabId/269/itemId/2469/Council-in-talks-with-NRA-about-misleading-Waterfo.aspx
    Waterford County Council are in talks with the National Roads Authority over misleading signs to Waterford's toll bridge.

Waterford's toll road and bridge were opened in October of last year as part of the N25 at a cost of more than €500 million.

The route begins at Kilmeadan to the west of the city and crosses the River Suir to tie in with the existing N25 route to Rosslare, Waterford and Cork to the east, at Slieverue village.

The cost of crossing the toll bridge in €1.90 for a car.

There have been complaints that signposts for motorists travelling from the Dungarvan side into the city lead them towards the toll at the Kilmeaden roundabout, rather than the toll-free road which joins up to the Cork Road roundabout and outer ring road.

Nora Flynn says she is confident the NRA will resolve the matter soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I don't understand this at all -- yet I do -- because you have three lanes, the middle one goes straight and the left one turns left. Even if you were too lazy/stupid to read the signage and know what lane you were supposed to be in, you should still realise that you can't move from one lane to another without seeing first who is already in the lane you are moving into. If you've taken the wrong lane and don't want to pay a toll, then slow down/stop, indicate and change lanes when whatever's being has been allowed to progress.

I really think that drivers licenses must be available on the internet for a tenner, because the numerous idiots on the road couldn't have sat the test I sat and passed.

Also, I'd just like to add a slightly OT pet peeve: people who drive over the white line into the opposing lane on the Cork rd. coming up to the Cork rd. ORR roundabout from the city, because they are too lazy to wait until they get to the right hand turn lane of the roundabout. Traffic leaving the roundabout into town have to double take to realise that if they drive in the centre of their lane they could come close to hitting these idiots. Hard to spot after a hard day's work when you don't know what goes on.

Advertisement