Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

0 Cyclists Fatalities midway through this year

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I changed my route to avoid those cycle lanes. I always felt I was likely to have a collision with a careless driver coming out of a driveway. I tried to road beside the cycle track for a while, but it was a bit narrow, and made narrower still at intervals by pedestrian build-outs and islands.

I hope the cyclist makes it through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,497 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I was up there myself on Wednesday.

Can I ask those people who are familiar with Braemor Road to make a statement to the Garda?

Write it down yourself and bring it along to the Garda Station in Rathfarnham, making sure you leave your contact details.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0809/1224276416971.html
    More than 37,000 use bike scheme
    STEPHEN MANGAN

DUBLIN CITY Council has received no reports of any serious incidents involving people using Dublin bikes during the first 10 months of the scheme.

Garda stations around the city centre confirmed that there have been no serious incidents involving people using the bikes scheme.

The finding was described by gardaí at the city’s Pearse Street and Store Street stations as surprising, considering the volume of people that are now using the service on a regular basis.

About 37,347 people have signed up to the scheme, which will celebrate its first year in operation next month, and only one of the 450 bikes made available to commuters has gone missing since last September.

The bikes are serviced on a daily basis and have suffered limited damage, apart from “general wear and tear caused by usage”, while none has been defaced or vandalised, according to a statement from the council.

It is not essential that those hiring bikes in the capital wear safety helmets and the council does not provide the option to rent helmets at any of the 40 stations spread around the city.

Executive planner with the council Jason Frehill said the option of providing helmets to cyclists was explored but it was decided that they would not rent helmets because of hygiene concerns.

There is no issue of insurance claims arising from any potential accidents because people must agree to a number of conditions when signing up to become a subscriber to the scheme.

So far this year, there has been more than 828,688 journeys made through the scheme; 95 per cent of people are using the bikes for less than 30 minutes, which is the permitted amount of free minutes on each trip.

Helmets won't necessarily save you from a fall, never mind a HGV rolling over your chest.

http://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/
    Woman cyclist dies in Co Cork
    BARRY ROCHE, Southern Correspondent

Gardaí investigating the death of a 58-year-old cyclist in Co Cork have ruled out a hit and run.

Investigators are satisfied that Maura McGrath, a mother-of-eight from Liam Lynch Park, Mitchelstown, was not struck by any other vehicle while out cycling last night.

Her body was found lying near her bicycle on a section of the former N8 between Mitchelstown and Kilbehenny by a passing motorist at 8.30pm.

The emergency services were alerted and Mrs McGrath was pronounced dead at the scene. Her body was removed to Cork University Hospital for a postmortem examination.

The postmortem examination revealed that Mrs McGrath, whom it is understood was wearing a cycling helmet at the time, suffered serious head injuries in the fall.

Gardaí were satisfied following a preliminary examination the scene that Mrs McGrath had not been hit by any other vehicle and believe that she fell from her bicycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Victor wrote: »
    Helmets won't necessarily save you from a fall, never mind a HGV rolling over your chest....

Love the won't necessarily, reminded me of this...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0413267/quotes
    Prince Charming: You! You can't lie! So tell me puppet... where... is... Shrek?
    Pinocchio: Uh. Hmm, well, uh, I don't know where he's not
    Prince Charming: You're telling me you don't know where Shrek is?
    Pinocchio: It wouldn't be inaccurate to assume that I couldn't exactly not say that it is or isn't almost partially incorrect.
    Prince Charming: So you do know where he is!
    Pinocchio: On the contrary. I'm possibly more or less not definitely rejecting the idea that in no way with any amount of uncertainty that I undeniably
    Prince Charming: Stop it!
    Pinocchio: ...do or do not know where he shouldn't probably be, if that indeed wasn't where he isn't. Even if he wasn't at where I knew he was
    I]Pigs and Gingerbread Man begin singing[/I
    Pinocchio: That'd mean I'd really have to know where he wasn't.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, there's another thread on helmets let's not move the debate over here

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

How could the guards out rule a hit and run when she had a serious head injury despite wearing a helmet?

i am not getting into the helmet debate I just doubt a fall from a bike while wearing a helmet could result in extensive head injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The helmet may not have been on correctly, as it was with the woman I previously posted about here wearing it like a beret. She may have fell towards the kerb and hit her forehead, she may have falling backwards or sideways and done something similar. A helmet, like seatbelts and airbags in cars, will not always do what it's supposed to do.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The helmet may not have been on correctly, as it was with the woman I previously posted about here wearing it like a beret. She may have fell towards the kerb and hit her forehead, she may have falling backwards or sideways and done something similar. A helmet, like seatbelts and airbags in cars, will not always do what it's supposed to do.
    ... and let's not speculate as to the cause of death

Thanks

Beasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Traumadoc wrote: »
    How could the guards out rule a hit and run when she had a serious head injury despite wearing a helmet?
    You can tell by the injuries and/or damage to the bike. Being struck by a vehicle, even at slow speeds, will leave very obvious cuts and bruises on your body.
    i am not getting into the helmet debate I just doubt a fall from a bike while wearing a helmet could result in extensive head injuries.
    The helmet only covers the top portion of the head. Even when fitted correctly, it doesn't prevent you cracking the side of your head open on a rock if you fall sideways.

A tragedy for her family.

Beasty wrote: »
    ... and let's not speculate as to the cause of death

Thanks

Beasty

No probs, I didn't mean to sound like I was speculating on the cause of death of this unfortunate woman, I was just highlighting the many ways you could still receive a head injury despite wearing a helmet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

Rode by an accident on the way in this morning, about 9am, just outside Swords at the roundabout beside the Little Chef. Based on where the cyclist was lying, looked like a car had merged onto the roundabout without looking and t-boned him/her. Bike didn't look too bad (ie not a twisted wreck you'd be hard pressed to recognise), and they were putting the cyclist on a back brace, so hopefully it's not too bad.

Best wishes to whoever it was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

seamus wrote: »
    You can tell by the injuries and/or damage to the bike. Being struck by a vehicle, even at slow speeds, will leave very obvious cuts and bruises on your body.

The helmet only covers the top portion of the head. Even when fitted correctly, it doesn't prevent you cracking the side of your head open on a rock if you fall sideways.

A tragedy for her family.

the guards cant rule out hit and run, sure a vehicle may not have hit her but flew by at high speed very close and whether it be the wind ar the fright she came off. just as bad if you ask me.

A helmet only helps in a finite range of impacts/situations.

I noted on my way in this morning, up the quays and through the city center I was the only cyclist to stop at any red light. I passed one guy out about 3 times, but he got ahead at every light by going through them or riding on the pavement and across pedestrian crossings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

BostonB wrote: »
    I noted on my way in this morning, up the quays and through the city center I was the only cyclist to stop at any red light. I passed one guy out about 3 times, but he got ahead at every light by going through them or riding on the pavement and across pedestrian crossings.
    Some days are worse than others. I notice that with the increased volume of traffic, people seem to be breaking the lights more often - presumably because the junctions look like they're not moving much anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Yeah, its bad at the moment. For every one cyclist stopped (usually me) about 5 seem to go through - in the city centre at least.

Its particularly annoying when roadies do it for some reason.

Its just annoying to have to keep passing them, because they are cycling so slow. Of course they destroy any empathy drivers might have for you. That said I'm noticing more and more drivers, letting me out, or giving me right of way, which is sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crippens1

Sad to hear about the accident on Braemor Road. My commute included that road and after a few days experience of it I decided to find an alternative because the cycle lanes are completely unrideable in both directions (for ALL of the usual reasons), the road narrows at a certain point due to a traffic island and its also very busy in rush hours. If it is on your route consider taking the following for just a couple of added minutes:

Going west, turn left into Upper Churchtown Road which continues into Hillside Drive and then Woodside Drive before bringing you back onto the end of the Braemor Road just before Dodder Park Road (which has perfect cycle lanes - the border between Sooth Dublin CoCO and DLRCoCo is where Breamor Road meets Dodder Park Road ! ). Watch out for traffic coming out of WHitehall Road as it seems to be part of a rat run.

Going East; On the dodder Park Road turn left into Lower Dodder Park Road, right at the end of that road onto Orwell Road. From there either go via Woodlawn Park or Lower Churchtown Road to get back onto Upper Churchtown Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

droidus wrote: »
    Yeah, its bad at the moment. For every one cyclist stopped (usually me) about 5 seem to go through - in the city centre at least.

Its particularly annoying when roadies do it for some reason.

That's desperate, I'm rarely down the quays so I really didn't realise it was like that. I cycle the canal from clanbrassil st and the n11 or Rock road and honestly there's barely a light jumper in the mornings, very much the exception I'd say. You get that tut-tutting from the tame herd if someone breaks ranks :)

And you usually find that half-way to the next lights you're passing the red-jumper anyways

poochiem wrote: »
    I cycle the canal from clanbrassil st and the n11 or Rock road and honestly there's barely a light jumper in the mornings, very much the exception I'd say. You get that tut-tutting from the tame herd if someone breaks ranks :)

And you usually find that half-way to the next lights you're passing the red-jumper anyways

Seriously ? What time do you travel there at ? I join it before Crumlin and find the canal the worse place for it, people who stop for them are almost in the minority, it's ridiculously bad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I cycle the canal as my commute and I find it endemic.

Cyclists turning right from Leeson street to go West on Grand Parade seem to be totally mad. I regularly see them cross the road on the bridge so theyre on the wrong side of the road facing oncoming traffic at the lights, and then breaking the ped lights as they make their turn.

If it was just one or two it might be understandable. I saw 7 people do it in a row yesterday, queueing up to take turns.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

droidus wrote: »
    Cyclists turning right from Leeson street to go West on Grand Parade seem to be totally mad. I regularly see them cross the road on the bridge so theyre on the wrong side of the road facing oncoming traffic at the lights, and then breaking the ped lights as they make their turn.

If it was just one or two it might be understandable. I saw 7 people do it in a row yesterday, queueing up to take turns.

Seen it myself yesterday, sheer stupidity, alot of them hop up on the sidewalk/footpath/footpad. Only for I got a green on my way to work I would have given him a bollicking for, old cyclist literally forcing people onto the cycle lane and smiling about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Is that the canal bridge? If so I suspect it's something of the notion that they would be hidden by the crest of the bridge while sitting in the right-hand lane waiting to make the turn and would be flattened by a following car.

Or is it that there's no right turn and they can't be arsed going the proper way?

CramCycle wrote: »
    Seen it myself yesterday, sheer stupidity, alot of them hop up on the sidewalk/footpath/footpad. Only for I got a green on my way to work I would have given him a bollicking for, old cyclist literally forcing people onto the cycle lane and smiling about it.

Yeah, they take the footpad and the cycle lane (and often the whole lane) which forces cyclists and cars turning left onto the bridge around them.

I'm often on the canal from Baggot St to Kilmanham and IMO about 80% of cyclist jump the lights. Quite often some turn right as the light go green and cross in front of oncoming traffic. Is annoying because I want to draft them usually.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Is that the canal bridge? If so I suspect it's something of the notion that they would be hidden by the crest of the bridge while sitting in the right-hand lane waiting to make the turn and would be flattened by a following car.

Or is it that there's no right turn and they can't be arsed going the proper way?

The latter but even if you could legally do a right hand turn, thats no excuse to jump into the way of oncoming cyclists, or forcing pedestrians onto the road.

They could just turn left and pull a U turn when safe to do so, maybe?

Or do a 'hook turn' - stop once they cross the junction and reposition themselves so theyre going east>>west along the canal in the correct road position.

Advertisement