Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Afternoon with Author & Person with Type 1 Diabetes, Steve Beriault.

Options
  • 23-06-2010 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

The Diabetes Federation of Ireland CLARE BRANCH presents
    “An Afternoon with Author & Person with Type 1 Diabetes, Steve Beriault.”
    The Clare Branch of the Diabetes Federation of Ireland have invited Canadian author, Steve Beriault, to share his personal experiences with diabetes and discuss his book, “Tales in the Insulin Vial” with other people with Type 1 Diabetes on Sunday, 11th July at 3pm in the Limerick Strand Hotel.

“It is unknown how many adults and children have Type 1 Diabetes in county Clare but we do know about the challenges each faces living with diabetes. In the Clare Type 1 Diabetes Support Group, sharing how we overcome those challenges and experiences is an important part to maintaining a positive attitude and staying healthy”, says Grainne Flynn, secretary of Clare Diabetes. The Clare Type 1 Diabetes Support Group meet every month in the Old Ground Hotel, Ennis.

Mr. Beriault was diagnosed when he was 2 years old, 56 years ago. He has two sons, one of whom is also a juvenile diabetic diagnosed at aged 5, he is now 22. Mr. Beriault will be able to discuss his experiences as a person with Type 1 Diabetes (the insulin defendant diabetes) and also as a parent of a child with Diabetes.

Of his book he says that “There is an underlying warrior mentality in the book. It assumes that the diabetic is at war with a “beast or demon”. It shows no mercy and it is relentless in its pursuit to destroy the diabetic’s quality of life.

All the stories describe events that challenge the diabetic’s will and character to overcome his/her personal enemy and succeed in life. The stories hold nothing back, as diabetic reactions, blindness, dialysis, kidney transplantation, amputation and a failed pancreas transplant are discussed within the stories from a patient’s personal perspective.
    These tales take you from childhood through adolescence and into adulthood and show the challenges the diabetic condition presents and how those challenges were met.”

Admission is free and this event is open to anyone in Clare and Limerick who wishes to know more about living with Type 1 Diabetes. More information on this event or others organized by the Clare Branch of the Diabetes Federation of Ireland is available by contacting the branch on Telephone: 087 641 5747 or email clarebranchdfi@gmail.com. More information about Mr. Beriault’s book can be found on www.talesintheinsulinvial.com.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

I'm almost finished reading Steve Beriault's book. It's a collection of short stories, some fictional and some not. All the stories are based about elements of diabetes.

I have to say I'm amazed at this guy. Diabetes threw everything it had at him; kidney disease, heart disease, retinopathy, etc. but he uses it as a challenge to overcome. He was the first person with diabetes to cycle across Canada, he was also the first double amputee to complete a walkathon. He did the walkathon only one year after his second leg was amputated.

Knowing all of this doesn't make me afraid of my future with diabetes because I have had a glucose meter my whole diabetic life and that to me is a powerful advantage.

I really do hope we get a good turnout on Sunday in Limerick!

Advertisement