Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

He drinks a whiskey drink, he drinks a vodka drink...

Options
  • 23-06-2010 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

... he drinks a lager drink, he drinks a cider drink.

So the song goes.

In an effort to create an accurate picture of the drinking habits of the modern man, right here on BGRH we are conducting a survey.

This highly scientific survey will give a true and accurate picture of the drinking habits of the modern man.

Or not.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, what is you tipple of choice?

And of course, why?

What's your poison 200 votes

Lager
    0%
    Cider
    38%
    RobboMr.ApplepieTom DunneJabbaTheHutrubadubT-b0n3ZaphCalidenKingp35gammaMr. CooL ICE[Deleted User]MimikyuBeauSplinteryoyokc66smellslikeshoesbluto63UnitedIrishman 76 votes
    Ale
    10%
    GaspodeFinnecesSteyrwilfordhighlydebasedmurphym7Handsome BobsmythwicksItsdacraicsara-louunknown131mcampo13hn2givr7mx1scsKepTics_GeorgeharrGauntyCypher_soundsWolfe ToneRevolution9treborflynn 20 votes
    Stout
    9%
    Karl HungusBlistermanuchlil_lisaWhite HorseJoseJonesdr.bollockoadmiralofthefleetobliviouscoillcamscooby2791nin2010Heroditasg5fd6ow0hseimaevercloserunioncursaiUnderpaid Mikerobertowjr 18 votes
    Spirits
    27%
    Blitzkrieger--Kaiser--tony 2 toneGoodshapeDempseyLafortezzapetesfolancruiserweightAglomeradotoiletduckAuversTomohawkdanniemcqWhiskey DevilParsleyollaettatroutThe Novacastrianmyflipflops 55 votes
    non-drinker/vegetarian/tree-hugger
    15%
    TouchingVirusAPMEyesOnlyknipexCiaran500DonkeyStyle \o/GrumPyThomas_S_HuntersonHermione*brightkanephilboyRiskymovepsycho-hopexOxSinéadxOxKyussBishopstar-pantsPingu-DThe_Mcheddarjennytightlips 31 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Spirits
    Guinness of course, because all my peers drink it and its a real mans drink and of course its the only alcohol thats good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Spirits
    same as.

though ive never heard of a non-drinker/vegetarian/tree-hugger? is that like a new alco pop?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Cider
    folan wrote: »
    is that like a new alco pop?

Yes, yes indeed it is. It is something that nobody on this forum would ever be associated with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Spirits
    thought it sounded like a fat frog alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Ale
    Should be multiple choice. I drink different drinks depending on the situation. Cider all summer but then porter as the evenings draw in. I'm also partial to a jameson and ice but only now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Stout
    ive moved off guinness onto mc ardles and smithwicks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Spirits
    Location, location, location.

Down "de local" it's always stout. I don't even have to ask for it. Normally stroll in, have a breif chat with any of the lads that happen to be in the bar and it's usually waiting for me by the time I reach the counter. I'm especially looking forward to one tonight. Just finishing six 12 hour shifts in a row and have a 5-a-side game after work. The first pint of Murphys is going to be beautiful.

"In town" it's usually larger. It's to make the job of getting a round in a busy pub easier. No waiting for a pint of stout to settle and no ****ing around carrying a bottle and a glass back to the table.

Unless we're in a beer garden of course. Then it's cider all the way. I don't why but I went off the taste of bulmers years ago so it's usually something like berry cider or strawberry and lime. Dangerously close to an alcopop I know, but I'm reassured by the alcohol content and the fact that at the end of the day, it is still cider.

Another exception is if I'm in a pub that has Rebel Red on draught. Tastes like alt-bier.

Or if I'm out with the Limerick lads we usually hit the spirits fairly early.

So a bit of a drink slut then...... :o

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Cider
    i went with lager and unfortunatly its generally heineken as most pubs are crap. however if its a decent estabhlisment then itl be erdinger or Paulener

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭hoochio

non-drinker/vegetarian/tree-hugger
    Couple of pints of cider or guinness then onto whiskey for the rest of the night

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Ale
    Cant we have more than one choice? Depends totally on the mood I'm in - fancied wine last night so I had wine. Fancied stout on Friday so I has stout. Fancied cider on Saturday, so I had cider.

I've selected cider though, just because.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭bowsie010

8 Dutch down lovers lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

beer if it's cold and good quality (used to be miller but there's too many pints of bad miller out there so heineken mainly now).

bulmers pint bottles (not draft! they are not the same!) on a hot day or in a really hot venue.

whiskey if i'm too full on the pints or fancy spicing things up a bit. generally with a bit of ice.

now, go use this knowledge whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Cider
    Larger all the way. I just dont like the taste of anything else.

As for which larger, well that depends on what they got. It used to be Budweiser, but ive opened my eyes and stopped drinkin that piss. Now its usualy Heinken, Miller, Carlton Draught

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Largers are just flavourless overchilled slushies for the kiddies.

Ciders are luverly, home made with bits of apple floating in them. Bulmers/Magners is not cider - it's apple flavoured (heh) lager - see above.

Ale is also a luverly tipple when brewed by a micro-brewery (some blokes garden shed). The more well known the brand becomes, the less enjoyment there is in it.

Stouts are for old men and tourists and no barman in the greater metropolitan area of 'Town' can be arsed pulling a decent pint. (Large bottle of the shelf please).

Spirits as it covers the largest range of drinkies. Different spirits can make you angry, sad, stupid, relaxed, comatose, sofisticated, poor... Wots not to love?

The non-drinker is a mythical beast and only put in this list for giggles. Tom Dunne should be ashamed for stooping to such lowbrow antics.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Spirits
    Stout. A good pint and I'm sorted. But as someone said it depends on location. If I was in a beer garden it would probably be lager as Guinness doesn't take to kindly to the sun.

I have settled on Guinness as my favourite tipple. However I did go through a phase of not knowing what to drink, so when I did go in to the pub it could have been anything!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Spirits
    Stout.

I had my first pint of it when 17 and did not like it at all. Then early in my college life (18) i was handed a pint of it in the bar one day. It went down a treat and I have been loyal to it every since.

I currently reside in a place that does not serve pints of it (just bottles of the horrible crap they brew in Jamaica and stick a Guinness label on). It pains me every day that I can't have a decent pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Spirits
    In ' de local' its Guinness. At home its Bavaria, Carling or, Guinness on special offer. When the lads are over its Guinness or Heinie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Cider
    Tom,for the last choice did you mean Sperm?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Ale
    A good oul pint of Cider.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Spirits
    Guinness and plenty of it. I've been pissed off nearly every drink under the sun but the buzz when drunk from Guinness seems to be more enjoyable. No Gas either! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

Cider
    Lager for me usually, but I'm quite partial to some cider or stout now and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Ale
    Rekorderlig Mixed Fruit FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Cider
    In pubs down here it's mostly Heineken. I'd prefer a nicer beer but that's not an option usually. If I could choose it'd be something like Staropramen. Had a few bottles and a pint of Hersbrucker from The Porterhouse recently and really enjoyed it.

Also recently sampled Helvick Gold, which is a blonde ale from Dungarvan Breweries. Seriously good stuff and I'm not usually an ale drinker! They've a red ale and a stout too which are apparently really nice if that's your sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Cider
    This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    This highly scientific survey will give a true and accurate picture of the drinking habits of the modern man.

Where's the wine option you son of a camel phucker?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Barney Magoo

Cider

Or not.

Not, I think, going by several comments above and by my own catholic imbibing habits.
    Me: I voted Lager but all of the above really excepting spirits (well, only occasionally) but also wine of all colours.
    Depends on the place, the time and the company, but I suppose really it depends on the mood.
    No alcopops or Spritzery Cooler things though, must be an age thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

Spirits
    I have to agree with Barney on this one, I love my guinness but sometimes it just doesn't suit the situation!!! Any busy pub it's out of the question (possibility of getting airlocked :D:D) so I'll go on the beer but by the end of the night it will be top shelf and if the party happens to continue, it will be whatever is available!!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Poll FAIL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Spirits
    OldGoat wrote: »
    Largers are just flavourless overchilled slushies for the kiddies.

Ciders are luverly, home made with bits of apple floating in them. Bulmers/Magners is not cider - it's apple flavoured (heh) lager - see above.

Ale is also a luverly tipple when brewed by a micro-brewery (some blokes garden shed). The more well known the brand becomes, the less enjoyment there is in it.

Stouts are for old men and tourists and no barman in the greater metropolitan area of 'Town' can be arsed pulling a decent pint. (Large bottle of the shelf please).

Spirits as it covers the largest range of drinkies. Different spirits can make you angry, sad, stupid, relaxed, comatose, sofisticated, poor... Wots not to love?

The non-drinker is a mythical beast and only put in this list for giggles. Tom Dunne should be ashamed for stooping to such lowbrow antics.

I went up to Dublin last week, had a few guinnesses in a few places and they were all feckin muck.

Feckin' love a good ale. also agreed on the spirits point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Spirits
    Beruthiel wrote: »
    Where's the wine option you son of a camel phucker?

:p

Advertisement