Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on snappy Yorkie

Options
  • 23-06-2010 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

I've a male yorkshire terrier the past three years, and just the past 5/6 weeks, he's become very snappy and is prone to trying to bite people....mainly visitors who come the the house. Also, when in the car, if a person comes to talk at the window he goes ballistic.

This never used to happen, so i'm wondering how do i combat it?:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Did you get him checked out with your vet? It could be that he is in pain and lashes out when he is hurt?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Did you get him checked out with your vet? It could be that he is in pain and lashes out when he is hurt?

No, its not that kind of aggressive behaviour....well at least I think it is. Even when he goes to get groomed, he's very agitated and has taken a little nip at the groomers hand in the past.

It could be a case that he's a little hyped up or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Has he been neutered?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

The dog needs to learn which behaviour is not acceptable, are you saying a firm No! when he goes mad?

Neutering may help too as suggested above.

00112984 wrote: »
    Has he been neutered?

yes he has been neutered. I'll just have to be more firmer with him.

Is it wise to use a bit of newpaper to smak him on the behind? I've heard they don't like the friction of the newspaper?

• Advertisement

Is it wise to use a bit of newpaper to smak him on the behind? I've heard they don't like the friction of the newspaper?

Nope, very unwise. A dog will react to violence with violence, moreso with one who is already demonstrating aggression. Bad idea all round.

Have you tried putting him into a little time out? As in stopping what you're both doing when he kicks off and put him into the garden/hall/where ever for a few minutes so he knows he's being punished?

How does the aggression start? Does he growl and bark?

We had a yorkie years back who bit all of us at home and an uncle, had to put him down. CSPCA dude had a look at his and said he had a nasty streak possibly due to close breeding. Was a pity as he was lovely 99% of the time but when he sank his teeth in :eek:

Even when he was tiny the vet commented on how it was difficult to inject him.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Has his food/diet changed?

One of our wee dogs gets hyper on eg red meat.. on chicken she is fine.

A new food may trigger this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Graces7 wrote: »
    Has his food/diet changed?

One of our wee dogs gets hyper on eg red meat.. on chicken she is fine.

A new food may trigger this...

My big guy can get a bit nasty when he's had a bone, but is fine on rawhide chews. Could well be something like that.

00112984 wrote: »
    Nope, very unwise. A dog will react to violence with violence, moreso with one who is already demonstrating aggression. Bad idea all round.

Have you tried putting him into a little time out? As in stopping what you're both doing when he kicks off and put him into the garden/hall/where ever for a few minutes so he knows he's being punished?

How does the aggression start? Does he growl and bark?

Well if someone comes near the window of the car he does both, and to be honest I've had to tell a few people not to get into the car as I was afraid he might bite.

He's on the same dry nuts the whole time

• Advertisement

My big guy can get a bit nasty when he's had a bone, but is fine on rawhide chews. Could well be something like that.

Yep.. diet will do it every time.

We are maybe too quick to think it is behavioural.

Every now and then I slip the wee one a scrap of red meat as she loves it; just t see if it still has the same effect... we were told it is the enzymes in red meat in her case... Like the additives in soft drinks with some kids. a few minutes afterwards she is hyper. she is already a live wire... ;)

The only time my pooch shows any hint of aggression is with a bone. I like to keep a close eye on her to take it away when I'm worried it'll start splintering but she goes mental. Even with a normal chew, she'll happily let you take it right out of her mouth but not a bone. Wonder if it's because it's red meat or simply the fact that it's a high-value item to her and she gets aggressive to protect it?

What I was going to suggest was using a Citronella spray collar. It gives the dog a spritz of Citronella spray (they HATE Citronella) if they brak/growl whilst wearing the collar. I find it handy with my dog for the bone issue as she doesn't have the chance to growl more than once and the aggression cycle is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

It sounds as though he is being territorial of your house and your car. If he hasn't shown this behaviour in 3 years and its only come on recently then Id be wondering what has caused the sudden change in his behaviour.
    Your best bet is to contact a dog trainer or behaviourist and talk to them, this is a serious behaviour that really does need to be nipped in the bud sooner rather than later. Yorkies may only small dogs but can still do a lot of damage if they wanted to, especially to a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry but this doesnt sound like diet to me. SOunds like a bold dog who hasnt had any manners put on him or has been trained properly.
    I would get this dog to training classes so an expert can help you out.

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry but this doesnt sound like diet to me. SOunds like a bold dog who hasnt had any manners put on him or has been trained properly.
    I would get this dog to training classes so an expert can help you out.

So why was the dog fine until so recently? a dog like a person can develop a sensitivity to food already on.

has the vet checked him out?

Something has happened to suddenly start this.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

OP has there been a change in your home recently?? has someone moved in or out?? Something has caused a change in behaviour. I would def check with a vet too it could be all sorts. My Westie gt really grumpy and it turned out there was a problem with his knee cap, as is common with them, he had an operation and was back to himself after.

He wasn't lashing out if we touched him or anything, his demeanor just changed. So it could be any number of things,check with a vet and then look at the family situation. ;)

i honestly don't know what could be the problem. He's starting to snap at my young neice who's 5 who lives in the same house and always did. I definitely think he's territorial over the house/car, as whenever anyone comes to the house that he does'nt know he goes mental barking.

He even snaps at me from time to time. :confused::confused:

Advertisement