Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiche

Options
  • 23-06-2010 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

I want to make a quiche. I have the pastry / crust bit sorted and have tasted this particular quiche before. I was told the ingredients but not the measurements so wonder if anyone can help! It's eggs (obviously!), mushroom, onion and cream. Does anyone have any idea of what the quantities should be?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've made this one a few times and it's nice and light because there's no cream in it. If you're using mushrooms or bacon you'd probably need to sweat them off first.

http://www.odlums.ie/index.php?page=quiche

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I'm lazy and for the filling I put 1/4 pint of milk (you can use cream but milk works fine) 2 whole eggs, 75g cheese (which ever cheese you like) bit of pepper and parsley all together in a jug. I don add salt because the pastry and bacon is salty enough.
    I throw some bacon bits usually one half of the pack (aldi job or 3 chopped up rashers) on the pastry then pour the milk/eggs etc. on top and throw it in the oven.

As said if adding mushis or onions sweat them off first.

This makes an 8 to 9 inch quiche.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

500ml whole milk
    500ml cream
    6-8 large eggs
    seasoning
    pinch paprika

That's a basic formula. If you want to avoid a soggy base, blind-bake the base for 20 mins @ 180c first, then brush it with a beaten egg, and return to the oven for 5 mins. This will help to seal it.

A further method of cooking it is to bake it in a bain-marie, as it is esentially a baked custard, like an unsweetened creme brulee. This will help avoid the scrambled texture as can often happen, and produce a smoother product. Just make sure your flan ring is one-piece, and bake for 30-35 mins @ 180c. Then once it's cool, it can be turned out onto a plate, and flipped right-side up onto another plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Anyone have any lovely recipes for quiche?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

ElleEm wrote: »
    Anyone have any lovely recipes for quiche?

Here's one I posted a few weeks ago in the Cooking Club: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056269873

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pixie001

I was wondering if you could substitute the cream for milk when making a quiche? Or would the milk make it too soggy? I often find quiche to be really heavy. Any other alternatives to lighten quiche would be appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Whisk half and half cream and creme frais should lighten it up. Use that combo for the richer of my quiche recipies

Advertisement