Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Sneezes all the Time!!

Options
  • 23-06-2010 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Hello guys.

Just wondering if ye can help me here cause my vet warned me to stop bringing my dog in whenever something tiny happens. :o:):rolleyes:

I'm not sure if it's normal or not, none of my past dogs ever did it or anything, but my dog sneezes an awful lot. Like she could be playing, or sitting on my lap or going for a walk and she'll just sneeze about 30-40 times a day no exaggeration.

I don't use many sprays at home bar air freshener & furniture polish and only use them when the windows are open and when the dog isn't in that room. So I don't think it has to do with that but again I'm not even sure if it's normal or if it's a case to be worried about..

Help please!

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭antocann

hi,

your dog may have some form of allergy , sounds like hayfever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

antocann wrote: »
    hi,

your dog may have some form of allergy , sounds like hayfever

Hi Antocann, thanks for your reply. :) God really? Can you suggest anything or is this a feasible reason to bring her to the vet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

My dogs sneeze a huge amount when they are playing, my little one also sneezes if she sees her reflection in a mirror! very bizzare :D

I do worry about them when they get into a right fit but it doesn't seem to bother them much thankfully

Hi belongtojazz, yeah my dog doesn't seem bothered at all by it, I'm just worried that maybe I should be bothered myself? Just hoping she's ok you know? Glad to hear it's kinda normal though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Did i read in another thread that it's fine to give dogs a Piriton? (Anti Allergy tablet)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Has she done it all the time or is it only something that has started recently?

It could easily be an allergy, whether to dust, food, fabric softener, or one of her toys, or it could be hay fever.

If it's only started recently, it could be a cold. Has she shown any other symptoms of being ill, such as sleepiness, less energy than usual, drinking more, off her food, etc.? If yes, then it would probably be best to have your vet check her out.

If not, then it could be just a mild allergy, or just something that she does and will do, and there's nothing wrong with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 little lamb

I give our dog Piriton and it works wonder ours is 45kg so its whole one just when he needs it if its tiny dog break it I was told to do this by a vet

She has always sneezed alot.. Guess it might be the allergy so.. I was told by the vet that she has an allergy to certain foods and to keep her on "Royal Cann hypoallergenic food for small dogs" or something along those lines as it would prevent her shedding too. She doesn't like it so I left her on the food she does like and just clean more but would you think it's possible it's the food???

Thanks very much again for your help. I spent ages going through websites but couldn't find anything exactly like it so thought posting here would be best. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 little lamb

The Royal Canine Hypo allergenic is the business if your dog can get use to it that's what our guy is on also but I still give him the odd Piriton when I think he needs it he has an ear problem so it can be very annoying for him, if he could learn not to put his head into bushes when he is in the park we might be OK but that's not going to happen, remember it makes humans sleepy so it can do the same to your dog but you can get ones in the pharmacy that don't make you sleepy but we have never tried them if you are buying the Royal Canine Hypo food try the internet I think the site is Nutcare or Nutercare but it is soooo MUCH cheaper than the Vets and they deliver to your home If you don't find it comeback to me and I will get the correct site name for you. Best of Luck (the things we do to keep our pets happy)

That is so helpful littlelamb, found the site www.nutrecare.co.uk . :)

That's great because it's €27 for the small bag in my local vets. Will get it online and just try to wean her onto it.

I'll see does the diet change help and update here when I can. :) Thanks again.

• Advertisement

So it turns out the nutrecare site is more expensive.. Correct me if i'm wrong but I picked up the food at €19.08 then they add shipping costs to Ireland at €16.10 (even to the UK it's €4.54). Nearly a tenner more than at the vets. Will just have to buy the extortionately priced dog food! :rolleyes:

Course it's worth it for my dog. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

My dog sneezes constantly! After many courses of antibiotics and anti allergan tablets our vet finally came to the conclusion that she had perhaps sniffed up a grass seed or something similar and it had lodged in her nasel passages, and that this caused an irritation. It doesn't harm her, and she generally shakes it off in about two minutes. She's nearly 13 now, and has been this way since she was a pup, so its never harmed her. Your dog may have something simialr, just keep an eye on the sneezing, and if it gets any more severe then head back to your vet. Otherwise, if it causes no harm or inconvenience to your dog, then let it be.

I agree with Shinikins, I'm of the opinion that if the dog seems happy and is being a normal mad dog it's probably not worth going to the vet. Too many courses of treatments is not very good for them in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Just as a little comment, Dogs tend to sneeze when they are happy....its a behavioural trait when they get very excited....usually when playing walking or when you do something that they like :D

Maybe your dog is just very happy !

suziwalsh wrote: »
    Just as a little comment, Dogs tend to sneeze when they are happy....its a behavioural trait when they get very excited....usually when playing walking or when you do something that they like :D

well you learn something new everyday:D I didn't know that but it explains a lot with my 2. They always sneeze lots when they are playing and my little one loves her own reflection as she thinks it's another playmate for her:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Id be very careful of giving her any of those anti allergy tablets designed for humans, you don't know for sure if it is allergies that is affecting her, and human doses can be different to dog doses. When I was doing work experience in a vets there was a dog whose owner gave it aspirin thinking she was doing it a good thing, well it fecked her liver and she died a few days later.

Im not sure if dogs sneeze in response to an allergy, I thought allergies usually show themselves in the form of skin irritations? You could always just ring your vets and ask them, saves you bringing her in and if they think it warrents having a look at her then so be it.

Iv never heard of a food that prevents shedding, if that was the case id have been using it long ago! :D There are other hypoallergenic foods you could try, James Wellbeloved is hypoallergenic, I think burns and harringtons are too, and skinners is too I think but that can be hard to find over here. Unless there's a reason for your vet suggesting royal canin then Id have a look at some other brands, Iv found it can be very expensive compared to brands of equal quality.
    Oh and my dog sneezes too, only once or twice a day though. :D

suziwalsh wrote: »

This made me smile this morning!! :D Hopefully it's as simple as that as she does it all the time. Mostly happens, funnily enough, when she's really excited. After she's had a run around or after she gets a new toy or just before she goes to sit in our lap and expects us to move our legs so that she's more comfy. :rolleyes: Spoiled!! And sneezes all over us too if it's the latter!

I appreciate the advice but I myself wouldn't give her an anti allergy tablet simply because I'm so against taking tablets unless they've been prescribed. Never take pain killers or anything so wouldn't give anything like that to my dog. Not having a go or anything obviously, I just have a thing about tablets. :o

Will check out teh other dog foods. Yeah the vet said that the more human food she eats and the more cheaper dog food she eats the more she will shed. She told me to buy the Royal Canine Hypoallergenic dog food and keep her soley on that, not even give her treats or anything. So I tried it for about two weeks and the shedding was still there but went down dramatically. But gees I just couldn't help it. I had to give her treats and bits of steak and she just wouldn't eat the royal canine, she just played with it and hid it behind the couch!! :eek:

So I switched back to the food she likes. :( It hasn't affected her sneezing in a negative or positive way though..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

NoDice wrote: »
    This made me smile this morning!! :D Hopefully it's as simple as that as she does it all the time. Mostly happens, funnily enough, when she's really excited. After she's had a run around or after she gets a new toy or just before she goes to sit in our lap and expects us to move our legs so that she's more comfy. :rolleyes: Spoiled!! And sneezes all over us too if it's the latter!

I appreciate the advice but I myself wouldn't give her an anti allergy tablet simply because I'm so against taking tablets unless they've been prescribed. Never take pain killers or anything so wouldn't give anything like that to my dog. Not having a go or anything obviously, I just have a thing about tablets. :o

Will check out teh other dog foods. Yeah the vet said that the more human food she eats and the more cheaper dog food she eats the more she will shed. She told me to buy the Royal Canine Hypoallergenic dog food and keep her soley on that, not even give her treats or anything. So I tried it for about two weeks and the shedding was still there but went down dramatically. But gees I just couldn't help it. I had to give her treats and bits of steak and she just wouldn't eat the royal canine, she just played with it and hid it behind the couch!! :eek:

So I switched back to the food she likes. :( It hasn't affected her sneezing in a negative or positive way though..

My dog waits and holds his sneeze until he can get maximum coverage of his sneeze all over us, it's the jackpot if he can hit the face! :D

Cutting down on shedding is more like it, wish they would invent a food that prevents shedding, Id feed it in bucketloads. :D You just have to keep her on it and don't give into her, dog's aren't stupid and usually work out that if they don't eat their dinner something nicer, like steak, comes along. They won't starve themselves so just leave it down for 15 minutes at her usual mealtimes and if she hasn't eaten it pick it back up again and don't give her anything in between meals until she is eating. It might take a few days but she will eventually eat, it's just a case of tough love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

My dog begins to sneeze too when she knows she's going for a walk, so I've put it down to excitement.

The funny thing is that I can keep her going by imitating her, she sneezes, I sneeze (or rather, make the noise she makes), she sneezes, I sneeze, etc.

Zapperzy wrote: »
    My dog waits and holds his sneeze until he can get maximum coverage of his sneeze all over us, it's the jackpot if he can hit the face! :D

Cutting down on shedding is more like it, wish they would invent a food that prevents shedding, Id feed it in bucketloads. :D You just have to keep her on it and don't give into her, dog's aren't stupid and usually work out that if they don't eat their dinner something nicer, like steak, comes along. They won't starve themselves so just leave it down for 15 minutes at her usual mealtimes and if she hasn't eaten it pick it back up again and don't give her anything in between meals until she is eating. It might take a few days but she will eventually eat, it's just a case of tough love.

That's really helpful, thank you zapperzy. I'll try the fifteen minute thing alright. I find if she doesn't get any of our dinner she moves straight to hers once we've brought the plates out so may pop the food down then. Thanks a million. Will try that over the weekend once I get the super expensive food that might as well be made of diamonds! :D
    polyfusion wrote: »
    My dog begins to sneeze too when she knows she's going for a walk, so I've put it down to excitement.

The funny thing is that I can keep her going by imitating her, she sneezes, I sneeze (or rather, make the noise she makes), she sneezes, I sneeze, etc.

ha ha Leela (my dog) does that too!! If we make the sneezing noise after she does it she'll sneeze again!!! I'm so glad I'm not the only one! Maybe it is just a case of excitement so? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I read an article in Ireland's Own about dogs sneezing a lot the other day and I thought of this post. She could have a fungal infection (or some sort of infection) in her nose that's causing her to sneeze loads due to a blocked nose. Bring her to the vet, simple to treat. Shouldn't cost too much either.

Our dog sneezes when she's getting annoyed like we're teasing her too much. She's "taught" the other dog to do it now as well :D

I read an article in Ireland's Own about dogs sneezing a lot the other day and I thought of this post. She could have a fungal infection (or some sort of infection) in her nose that's causing her to sneeze loads due to a blocked nose. Bring her to the vet, simple to treat. Shouldn't cost too much either.

I think I'll just have to take her as I was thinking of getting her chipped anyway (still haven't!). that was nice of you to post here after reading the article, thank you.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    Our dog sneezes when she's getting annoyed like we're teasing her too much. She's "taught" the other dog to do it now as well :D

Yeah it's weird cause my dog does that too. Basically when she's really excited and that could be anything from teasing her to playing with her toys! :rolleyes: Mad thing! Just worried but the vet told me to stop taking her to the vet unless I really think it's serious... I always thought if there was something wrong with my dog I should take her like, was never wasting her time with silly things you know? Ah well!

Advertisement