Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Professional Fundraiser (Chuggers)

Options
  • 23-06-2010 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

They are a massive problem for local rescues at present and are everywhere, even here in the West. Please read this article and if you want your hard earned cash to benefit the rescue/animals of your choice then please donate to you favourite rescue directly.

36734_416923950888_169411475888_4493948_5866710_n.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I would bring the matter to the Dept of Agriculture as both of the rescues receive grants. It should be a condition of receiving a grant that you do not act in a way that financially compromises another rescue.

If you can't beat them can you join them & employ some local fundraisers on a commission only basis in Galway ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I really can't stand chuggers. They are so rude and 'in your face' and really harass and bully people into giving money. If I want to make a donation to a charity I give it to them directly rather than giving it to someone on the street. I like to be guaranteed that my donation gets there in its entirety. I also hate the way some charities step on each others toes and collect 'outside' their catchment area when they declare it, but it's so much worse when they lie to people and convince them that their money is actually going to 'local' charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I have seen loads of collectors for 'Paws' charity in the last few weeks, they seem to be selling car air fresheners. They seem to have so many people collecting for them, anyone know if these people are getting paid or if it's voluntary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I can't stand chuggers, people should be able to walk down the street without hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

We all hate them but they are there because they work. I know a professional fundraiser in the UK who earns over £250,000 per year in commission. It is a no lose for the charity.

I thought that individual charities were only allowed to chug on an allocated day ?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Look at the end of the day where some one collects is up to them if they need the money they are entitled to try and collect it the same as anyone else , as for them using professional collectors well it means they have a garneted minimum income , the collectors only get a % so they have to work for it , and the company that has garneted x amount get a % (which has to cover running costs like housing transport ect) is the % too big ??? Well that’s something the charities need to look into . Personally I have known people in the uk to bill events as charity events with as little as 5% going to the charity .

ftr I only give direct (which i should do more often ), not because i have a prob with the collectors I just prefer to do it that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

ncmc wrote: »
    I have seen loads of collectors for 'Paws' charity in the last few weeks, they seem to be selling car air fresheners. They seem to have so many people collecting for them, anyone know if these people are getting paid or if it's voluntary?

They get paid commission. They sell badges and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Discodog wrote: »
    I thought that individual charities were only allowed to chug on an allocated day ?.

They are only allowed to collect cash on an allocated day but as chuggers don't take any cash only bank details they can be on the streets whenever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I heard only yesterday that the charity only gets 35c out of every €1 collected, so maybe if you want to give to a charity then give directly so they get all the money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

This crowd are all over the main roads around traffic lights in Sligo going up to car windows selling stuff. We are in serious trouble here in Sligo regarding animal welfare. The local SPCA was shut down last year and since this the Sligo Animal Rescue has being set up by all volunteers relying solely on local public donations.

They are jumping through hoops trying to get certified for genuine charity collections in local stores, fetes etc and this PAWS crowd can just go anywhere in the country and collect for animal charity that has nought to do with our large amount of local animals in distress. It makes me so mad :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

I heard only yesterday that the charity only gets 35c out of every €1 collected, so maybe if you want to give to a charity then give directly so they get all the money

Tbh I dont think you should be batting hearsay around unless you say for sure .

lubie76 wrote: »
    This crowd are all over the main roads around traffic lights in Sligo going up to car windows selling stuff.

this PAWS crowd can just go anywhere in the country and collect for animal charity
    there is nothing to stop any other AW groups doing the same
    and there are others that do
    lubie76 wrote: »
    that has nought to do with our large amount of local animals in distress. It makes me so mad :mad:
    how do you know did you ask them ??

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GALWAYINDOOR

paws collectors in galway city are in fact paid workers they are not doing it voluntery at all they get a nice percentage !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

paws collectors in galway city are in fact paid workers they are not doing it voluntery at all they get a nice percentage !!!!!!!!!!!!

so I am wondering about
    Guide Dogs for the Blind
    ISPCA
    Rehab
    Dogs Trust
    etc etc etc

I am sure they do not all have just volunteers doing their fundraising......if they did they would never be able to rely on an income from one month to the next and it would be impossible to runa large organisation like that.

As far as I know, they don't make a lot of money doing it. But the company who hired them probably does . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I'm glad this was posted though coz I have to say I didnt realise they were not volunteers. I just seen Paws out in force again today. At least I now know the full situation before I donate any more money to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

morganafay wrote: »
    As far as I know, they don't make a lot of money doing it. But the company who hired them probably does . . .

http://jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1047392
    http://jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1049980

up to 35k

Things can be sold without a casual trading licence IF the seller is a volunteer. They do not have a casual trading licence.

More information on invalid permits, PAWS chuggers and the havoc they cause:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?v=wall&ref=profile&id=100000424117521#!/group.php?gid=119267008119528&v=info&ref=ts

who regulates rescues? if i want to set one up is there anything to stop me?

EGAR wrote: »

They don't make anywhere near that, seriously. Those job ads often lie, or say up to, that could be anything. Because I went to an interview for one of those, the ad just said something about promoting paws, so I went to the interview even though I thought it'd be collecting money and didn't want to do that and didn't take the job. Anyway, they get paid commission and some days they are in small towns and they said, "some weeks you'll make €100" . . . implying that some weeks you don't. And you have to drive all over the county so are spending lots of money on petrol. It really didn't sound like it would be much money at all.

I'm not standing up for them, I'm just saying it's not the fault of the people collecting the money. Blame the company who employs them or the charity. I'd hate to be standing on the street collecting money all day in all weathers and getting paid pretty badly, and they probably get a lot of abuse anyway. They're mostly young people, and at least they have a job, they need to get money someway and they are working for it. So I wouldn't be too rude to them. They also aren't told anything about what PAWS do, so the person who the OP talked to was just making stuff up . . . when I went for the interview they were like, "Do you know what PAWS do, well you probably know more than me because you work with animals" . . . and then he said I could start right away, so they weren't going to say what PAWS do at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

ppink wrote: »
    who regulates rescues? if i want to set one up is there anything to stop me?

No, absolutely no regulation whatsoever.

The only thing that might stop you is lack of personal funds, because unless you are a big rescue, such as Dogs Trust, DSPCA etc, who have full time employees, you will do all the work yourself, and pay for it all yourself out of your own pocket. Donations are few and far between, and it is a struggle to pay the vets bills, food bills, transport etc all the time. If you are lucky you will find like minded people locally who will help out with money and their time, but it will take over your life completely and leave you broke and very stressed:D

• Advertisement

So is this not the unregulated trying to regulate?
    I have a hard time trying to understand here as I have seen a lot of posts regarding "collecting outside one's area" etc...........but ones area may be a county or a part of a county, and who determines that as there is no regulation anyway?

This Hate site for Paws collectors seems really ott to me. Surely if a rescue is genuinely only interested in lack of funds in their area because of these collectors then go on local radio and in the local paper and explain in a nice way that the big collections going on are not local and it would be great of people would support local...
    Leave it up to the public to decide......many of whom I would think couldn't give a fiddlers if it is local or not.
    Emotion never argues well and sites like this FB one are not a good reflection on those posting there ....imho. i mean posting "Now thats what I call the real PAWS".....what is that all about?

ppink wrote: »
    This Hate site for Paws collectors seems really ott to me. Surely if a rescue is genuinely only interested in lack of funds in their area because of these collectors then go on local radio and in the local paper and explain in a nice way that the big collections going on are not local and it would be great of people would support local...
    Leave it up to the public to decide......many of whom I would think couldn't give a fiddlers if it is local or not.
    Emotion never argues well and sites like this FB one are not a good reflection on those posting there ....imho. i mean posting "Now thats what I call the real PAWS".....what is that all about?

I totally agree with that.

I don't really think PAWS are taking money away from the local rescues that much anyway, because most people on the street wouldn't go out of their way to give money to the rescues, but if there's someone on the street selling fluffy things then they would. If it helps more animals, then does it really matter which animals it helps?

I can see why people might be upset by it, but I do think this is all a bit OTT.

well unbelieveably (or is it?) someone on that FB site has actually said that PAWS are stealing money from the smaller rescues:eek:
    are people not opening themselves to legal action by stating such a thing?? this is why I am so totally against hate sites, it is a step too far. mind you it does let everyone know what those involved are really like by reading all those posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Do you have a link to that ppink?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

a girl collecting for paws was annoyed me a little the other day, she stood directly in my way as I was walking and said I look like "a person who wants to help cats and dogs"...
    I told her I just gave money to a local animal shelter... When I asked she claimed she didn't get paid and was just volunteering. IDK.

45212_435257575888_169411475888_4985089_2376377_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

EGAR, what paper did that appear in?

seamus wrote: »
    EGAR, what paper did that appear in?

Sorry, my fault, I should have said: Gorey Echo, 18th August 2010

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I can't stand chuggers!

Advertisement